Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-10-2016, 07:05 PM

what wheel for a trainer

Getting' myself a Kickr snap and looking to put a trainer-only wheel on it with a Tacx trainer tire.

All I have are tubular wheels, so I need to find me a wheel I can dedicate to the trainer. I was looking at the Mavic Aksium and the Fulcrum equivalent from the usual UK suspects. Can't seem to find the Mavic with a Campy hub, though. Some simple questions:

Does it make sense to get a heavy, low-end wheel for the trainer?

Any opinion on either of these two in terms of what works better, ability to mount tires, bearings, etc.?

Would you go Mavic with a Shimano 105 cassette that's close but not exactly the same gear range?

Anyone have a rear clincher they want to sell me?

I am looking to do this as cheaply as possible and don't think I'd ever ride these wheels outside. Advice and ideas, please.

I also have a pair of 32h Open Pro rims. Seems like it is cheaper to buy a pre-built wheel than find a hub and build one around the Open Pros.
Old 12-10-2016, 07:13 PM

Why don't you put out a WTB on the classified. Probably can find someone local who has an extra wheel for cheap!
Old 12-10-2016, 07:20 PM

That's actually a good idea; buy the cheapest clincher wheel you can find.

I wouldn't go any higher than Shimano 105 or similar quality.

I think your most important criteria would be the ability to get the cassette position the same as what's on your tubular wheels. You want to be able to swap wheels without tweaking screws. Whether you do this through the use of an identical hub or judicious experimentation with axle spacers doesn't matter.

Consider this trainer wheel MAY be called to road duty some day for some reason.
Old 12-10-2016, 07:31 PM
Lanterne rouge

I bought a set of Shimano RS11's on CL new with tires and skewers for 75.00. Never use the front but burned down both tires over the years so they are well worth it. Cheap is good.
Old 12-10-2016, 09:17 PM

When I ran 10 speed I had an el cheapo $79 Shimano 2200 wheel. Now with 11 speed I have an old Aksium. A dedicated wheel is the way to go.
Old 12-10-2016, 09:43 PM

Wiggle sells cheap rear wheels - Shimano rs11 and 21. Most low end wheels come in pairs these days. Was going get one but ended up upgrading the fulcrum 7 lg set on my other bike and now use that rear as my trainer wheel now.
Old 12-10-2016, 11:44 PM

Craigslist. I'll bet you can find something for free or close too. Several years ago I found a pair of fulcrum 7's for $100 and they even came with a set of NOS Dura ace 7800 skewers. They go on the commuter bike in the fair weather months, and the rear goes on the trainer bike (backup road bike) for the winter.
Old 12-11-2016, 06:48 AM

Can I suggest something different? Consider going with the Kickr 2 (wheel off) version. By the time you buy a wheel, clincher tires, etc...you'll be out maybe $200. Although the price differential is still large ($400ish) I found the fact that I had to do a spin down EVERY ride on the Snap irksome not to mention the fact that I was still swapping wheels to preserve my "good" tires for road use.
Old 12-11-2016, 06:54 AM
Randomhead

I was going to say kickr as well. Then find someone to sell you a cheap front wheel
Old 12-11-2016, 07:17 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfscott View Post
Getting' myself a Kickr snap and looking to put a trainer-only wheel on it with a Tacx trainer tire.

All I have are tubular wheels, so I need to find me a wheel I can dedicate to the trainer. I was looking at the Mavic Aksium and the Fulcrum equivalent from the usual UK suspects. Can't seem to find the Mavic with a Campy hub, though. Some simple questions:

Does it make sense to get a heavy, low-end wheel for the trainer?

Any opinion on either of these two in terms of what works better, ability to mount tires, bearings, etc.?

Would you go Mavic with a Shimano 105 cassette that's close but not exactly the same gear range?

Anyone have a rear clincher they want to sell me?

I am looking to do this as cheaply as possible and don't think I'd ever ride these wheels outside. Advice and ideas, please.

I also have a pair of 32h Open Pro rims. Seems like it is cheaper to buy a pre-built wheel than find a hub and build one around the Open Pros.
Send me the rim, I'll get a low end hub and build it. About $125 or so.

10s or 11s?
Old 12-11-2016, 10:06 AM

i just sold all my old wheels then realized my mistake. Now i need a trainer rear wheel again, haha
Old 12-12-2016, 07:35 AM

PSA: Wahoo is offering 10% off sitewide today only (12/12/16)...code is green16