Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-15-2016, 09:46 PM

Haleakala is an awesome ride. My only advice is that the first part of the climb along the busier and wider highway is a climb! The perspective makes you think it's flatter than it actually is. I pushed myself harder thinking I was going too slow and ended not pacing myself correctly and had to fight cramps at 7000ft. Definitely a bucket list ride.
Old 01-15-2016, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalheart View Post
Same experience. I later checked out the shop in Paia (Maui Cyclery) and next time I rent in Maui I will use them.
I have to say that my rental from West Maui was excellent. Bike and service exceeded my (admittedly low) expectations. One thing I noticed is that the bike reservations fill up fairly quickly so wherever you rent, don't wait too long to reserve something.
Old 01-15-2016, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulE View Post
I liked the altitude markers on the road along with everything else about that ride!
I think the credit goes to Frank@Velominati.

Part one: https://youtu.be/NxcqrCSbJ6A
Part two: https://youtu.be/NzgkNVxXeOI
Part three: https://youtu.be/GO9u2LEY-As
Old 12-09-2016, 06:27 PM

Bumping this back up for some updated recommendations.

Going to Maui in a few months, looking to book something now for the whole time I'm there.

Maui Cyclery is like a block from where I'm staying, but Boss Frog is like $100 cheaper for a 20 drive and similar bikes (scott at the former and carbon c'dale at the latter).

Has anyone rented from Boss Frog lately? I just want to make sure I'm not going to get something that hasn't been maintained reasonably well. Is the extra hundy at Maui Cyclery worth it??

I'm not planning to do the mountain or anything, just some morning rides so I can fulfill my desire to ride and still main domestic accord. I'll be in Paia, seems like I'll be able to ride right out of there pretty easy...

Old 12-09-2016, 07:26 PM
v a n i l l a

Quote:
Originally Posted by notsew View Post

Going to Maui in a few months, looking to book something now for the whole time I'm there.

Maui Cyclery is like a block from where I'm staying, but Boss Frog is like $100 cheaper for a 20 drive and similar bikes (scott at the former and carbon c'dale at the latter).

Has anyone rented from Boss Frog lately? I just want to make sure I'm not going to get something that hasn't been maintained reasonably well. Is the extra hundy at Maui Cyclery worth it??

I'm not planning to do the mountain or anything, just some morning rides so I can fulfill my desire to ride and still main domestic accord. I'll be in Paia, seems like I'll be able to ride right out of there pretty easy...

If you are in Paia you should be thinking about windsurfing or kiting more than riding...
Old 12-09-2016, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdmtong View Post
If you are in Paia you should be thinking about windsurfing or kiting more than riding...
Unfortunately, my surgically repaired shoulder disagrees.
Old 12-09-2016, 10:27 PM

I can say that I rented from Boss Frog and they carbon Cannondale was in great shape.

What I didn't like was the hard sales tactics to Take other tourist type packages.it was pretty annoying actually, but if you know that going in,
The Frog doesn't disappoint

Quote:
Originally Posted by notsew View Post

Old 12-10-2016, 04:48 PM

yeah baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulE View Post
I rented from them 3-1/2 years ago based on recommendations I found by searching here. I rented a carbon Litespeed with Shimano 105 for almost a week. They gave me a floor pump to use and a saddle bag with a spare tube, 2 CO2 cartridges and an inflator. They are a real bike shop with real support. Boss Frog and the others are rental companies - bikes, surfboards, snorkel and scuba gear. You want a bike that is tuned up and ready to go, not something that may not be ready to go that isn't really supported.

http://www.gocyclingmaui.com/bike-sales.html
and ride Haleakala from Paia!
10k ft climb if weather permits
Iconic climb
Old 12-10-2016, 09:09 PM

I also rented from Boss Frog almost 4 years ago, I chose them over one of the shops because I was starting my trip in one part of the island and finishing n another and they had locations on both places so I was able to rent at one location and drop off in the other, got a SuperSix as well, it was brand new, I was the first person that rode it, so I can't really speak to the long term maintenance.
I did have a chance to stop in at Maui Cyclery and chat with Donnie when I was in Paia one day, he runs a top notch shop and you wouldn't go wring at all renting from him.