Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-05-2016, 08:55 AM

Lake winter Shoes -303

I picked some up for $200 at Nashbar, hopefully they last longer than all of those booties...
Old 12-10-2016, 07:13 AM

Ok I got the one size up and wide, which after reading reviews seemed to be the best advice- but my son and I both feel the wide is too wide, even with a hiking wool sock, so I ordered just one size up- 14$ = 188$ cheaper now! The one size up is slightly snug with a standard smart wool sock, but I feel as though it will compress somewhat and I should be good- std cycling sock is fine. Too bad I picked up a head cold-construction seems top notch.
Old 12-10-2016, 10:31 AM

Thanks for the sizing info, always useful when ordering online. Did you get the CX145s? According to the Competitive Cyclist size chart, Lake is same as Sidi for me (43.5), so I guess I'd opt for a 44 in Lake Winter shoes for sock clearance. Sound about right?
Let us know about how they feel during a ride!
Old 12-10-2016, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YesNdeed View Post
Thanks for the sizing info, always useful when ordering online. Did you get the CX145s? According to the Competitive Cyclist size chart, Lake is same as Sidi for me (43.5), so I guess I'd opt for a 44 in Lake Winter shoes for sock clearance. Sound about right?
Let us know about how they feel during a ride!
I got the 303 I take a solid 44 in the Sidi drako and wire- thought the Sidi maybe was too roomy, but the 43.5 wasn't going to work. I think the padding inside the lake is what tightens it up. Also has a heck of an insulated insole- you could order the wide and std in a 44- nashbar has 30% off till Sunday-I take a 10.5 Nike fwiw

Last edited by Mikej; 12-10-2016 at 12:24 PM.
Old 12-10-2016, 06:02 PM

Today was so freaking cold that I was thinking in those winter shoes.

Those booties are regular, not wides :/ darn.
Old 12-10-2016, 06:12 PM

I wear 44 in fizik and northwave and got 45 in the Lakes. works about right for me, very similar fit with a thick winter sock. game changer for winter cycling, especially when its WET and cold. this is my first winter using them and im not sure how my feet tolerated me before. they are game changers i tell ya
Old 12-10-2016, 07:54 PM

Maybe you were younger?

Im still amazed of how i was riding with so little clothing years ago, this year I thank god I scored some good winter clothing in a swap meet 2 years ago for pretty much nothing... for 15 bucks; babaaaa + zero ish temp LG long bibs + winter knickers, nothing fancy but can complain for 15 bucks.

Need to score one of those winter shoes :/ Booties dont cut it no more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzilliox View Post
I wear 44 in fizik and northwave and got 45 in the Lakes. works about right for me, very similar fit with a thick winter sock. game changer for winter cycling, especially when its WET and cold. this is my first winter using them and im not sure how my feet tolerated me before. they are game changers i tell ya
Old 12-10-2016, 08:34 PM

Might have to try these out. I have been riding my 29+ with flat pedals and a pair of insulated boots. Are the 303s road specific shoes? I'm trying to find a suitable road bike for winter, but with all the salt on the roads here in central NY, my ecr is the only thing I'm comfortable riding.
Old 12-11-2016, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilltopperny View Post
Might have to try these out. I have been riding my 29+ with flat pedals and a pair of insulated boots. Are the 303s road specific shoes? I'm trying to find a suitable road bike for winter, but with all the salt on the roads here in central NY, my ecr is the only thing I'm comfortable riding.
No mtb
Old 12-11-2016, 04:07 PM

My son and I went out fat tireing in the fresh5" of powder here in the Midwest- I had the lakes on and they were pretty warm. I didn't experience any chill in my feet even after 2 hours. I did however, notice I could have had a thicker sock, I was wearing a smart wool standard sock and felt some room. It was 28 F and I was comfy. On the other hand, it was our first fat bike snow ride, and it proved to be quite slippery in the powder! I would have preferred flats over Spd to be honest. In all, im glad I got some winter shoes, money well spent for us! Ride on!