Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-27-2016, 04:17 PM

Worst day in English history since last Friday.
Old 06-27-2016, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akelman View Post
Worst day in English history since last Friday.
Yeah, rough few days.

Hodgson is such a copy-cat. He just Hexited.
Old 06-27-2016, 04:28 PM

Tbf it was rather expected imo .)

England NT can't perform even close to the level they should. Its been like this for as long as i can remember almost.
Old 06-27-2016, 04:31 PM

Terrible defending and terrible goaltending from England. Rooney was lousy. Same story over and over again.
Old 06-27-2016, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuscanyswe View Post

England NT can't perform even close to the level they should. Its been like this for as long as i can remember almost.
The ego is real high in English football, but the performances very low, Coaching? management? poor team spirit? wrong squad? all of the above?

Rooney is one of the most overrated strikers i have ever seen
Old 06-27-2016, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuscanyswe View Post

The resignation or the Iceland win?
The resignation, of course, but i can't see how anyone really expected Iceland to win.

Quote:
Originally Posted by summilux View Post
Terrible defending and terrible goaltending from England. Rooney was lousy. Same story over and over again.
These England players were really lousy:
Hart; Walker, Cahill, Smalling, Rose; Alli, Dier (Wilshere), Rooney (Rashford); Sturridge, Kane, Sterling (Vardy). (Forster, Heaton, Clyne, Stones, Bertrand, Milner, Henderson, Lallana, Barkley). Hodgson.

These England players were marginally OK:
Old 06-27-2016, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadence90 View Post
What, when he scored that goal?
No, I think that was legit joy.
Toward the end, at the 93rd minute; the one for which David Silva was given a yellow. Perhaps Silva tried to step on Chiellini's groin?
Quote:

In other news, Björk and Guðmundur Róbert Guðmundsson (you know, Iceland's National Road Champion) are completely kicking The Rolling Stones', The Beatles', The Who's, The Clash's, etc., and Brad Wiggins'/Chris Froome's, etc. ass, all over the place.

This is unbelievable, just a complete demolition.
"All in all there's an enormous, huge, vast, immense, gigantic, giant, massive, colossal, mammoth, tremendous, monumental, epic, prodigious, mountainous, king-sized, titanic, towering, elephantine, gargantuan, Brobdingnagian, hole in the wall..."

Holy ****e.
Góða nótt, England. Brexit number tveir.

"Iceland have plunged England into a deep freeze. It was a calamitous, clueless display."
- Ian Darke
well played

Quote:
Ha ha ha!
Well, Mr. Hodgson is certainly available, as of 10 minutes ago.

This is just a massive upset.
Perhaps Señor del Bosque could take over ?

I donno what is worse, having top notch players and under performing at every juncture (viz. England) or having mediocre players who punch above their weight (e.g. U.S.)

Looking forward to the post-mortem dissection on Match of the Day. I bet Rio Ferdinand is going to tear the team a new one.

Last edited by echappist; 06-27-2016 at 04:44 PM.
Old 06-27-2016, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echappist View Post
Toward the end, at the 93rd minute; the one for which David Silva was given a yellow. Perhaps Silva tried to step on Chiellini's groin?

well played

Perhaps Mr. Bosque could take over ?
Yeah, Chiellini is a great defender, but really flops too much. I think he did there.

I will be curious to see who ENG choose now.
I think disasters like ENG are far worse.

Indeed. Men in Blazers on Wednesday should be pretty interesting as well.

Last edited by cadence90; 06-27-2016 at 04:50 PM.
Old 06-27-2016, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summilux View Post
The plan may have not been great in some folks' minds, but the failure of England's highly paid players to make accurate shots on goal, and hustle on the field, and pass the ball accurately, and genuinely look like they cared is, undoubtedly, the fault of the manager!!!!

Hodgson will lose his job, and deserves to, but the players need to lose theirs too. They never looked impressive and they never looked dangerous. They never looked hungry and the blame for that does not lay with the manager or the English FA.
Old 06-27-2016, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BdaGhisallo View Post
The plan may have not been great in some folks' minds, but the failure of England's highly paid players to make accurate shots on goal, and hustle on the field, and pass the ball accurately, and genuinely look like they cared is, undoubtedly, the fault of the manager!!!!

Hodgson will lose his job, and deserves to, but the players need to lose theirs too. They never looked impressive and they never looked dangerous. They never looked hungry and the blame for that does not lay with the manager or the English FA.
this seems to be the English way. for as long as I've been alive they have at least one of the 5 most talented teams in the world. yet they win nothing, not even the occasional rivalry. Most times I disagree with the makeup of the team, i feel they do not select role players, tenacious defenders, hard centre midfielders (my favorites), you know, they guys who win games. they never seem to have a game plan either. I think its always management when players don't perform. what else can you blame. the raw material is there... but it takes a manager to put it all together.
Old 06-27-2016, 05:01 PM

this MoTD recap is gonna be good. Lineker looks dejected, quipping, you (the audience) are sure suckers for punishment. One of the commentators remarked, in football and in finance, Sterling has to perform better

At least the Brits still have their sense of humor
Old 06-27-2016, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echappist View Post
this MoTD recap is gonna be good. Lineker looks dejected, quipping, you (the audience) are sure suckers for punishment. One of the commentators remarked, in football and in finance, Sterling has to perform better

At least the Brits still have their sense of humor
Is Lineker owning up to the comment he made earlier this week?
"Iceland have more volcanoes than soccer players."

Not quite right, Gary: Iceland's soccer players ARE volcanoes!

Are you in the UK, echappist?
I can't find any way to view MOTD in the US.
Old 06-27-2016, 05:08 PM
Carbon-loving lifeform

Just have to say, Sterling was bad for Liverpool, bad for Man City, and bad for England. He is fast but makes bad decisions, bad passes, and bad shots. That combo will never work, and he should not be on the national side. He is, at best, a late game sub when defenders are tired so maybe his speed is enough. Which is the role Man City eventually gave him. Starting him rather than Vardy, who is, um, fast AND has a great nose for goal, was really, really stupid.
Old 06-27-2016, 05:12 PM

Very true.
I think both Rashford and Vardy should have played more than Rooney and Sterling.
Old 06-27-2016, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Is Lineker owning up to the comment he made earlier this week?
"Iceland have more volcanoes than soccer players."

Not quite right, Gary: Iceland's soccer players ARE volcanoes!

Are you in the UK, echappist?
I can't find any way to view MOTD in the US.
still waiting. I think Lineker is too shocked to have any retort

as for my location. I'm in the colonies. VPN is your friend

say what you want about the Brits, but BBC knows how to put on a TV program. I think i've really come to appreciate association football by watching MOTD. If i could pay for the TV license, I would (full disclosure, i'm a big Dr. Who fan).

Quote:
Very true.
I think both Rashford and Vardy should have played more than Rooney and Sterling.
+1

Don't think Sterling could even crack the Man City starting lineup; how is he starting for England? Ditto for Wilshire...