Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-05-2016, 07:18 PM

No one forces anyone to buy King products
No one forces anyone to work for Chris King.

Would you really the set if it as in a better box? Really?

As far as people thinking Chris should spend his money on one thing or another, it’s HIS money. HE owns the company, and can start a bonfire with cash if he chooses.

Lots of talk on this thread, not much of it makes sense to me...
Old 05-05-2016, 07:28 PM
Imshi Cycles

The discussion here stems primarily from disappointment.

I would venture to guess that the vast majority of the members of this forum own or have owned a chris king component at some point or another, and they likely had very positive experiences with said component because, at the end of the day, chris king makes nice stuff.

This has garnered CK a certain amount of global prestige in the bike bizz and I would venture to guess that we american cyclists take a certain amount of pride knowing that we are supporting american manufacturing every time we pay the premium for a CK part. I know I do.

THAT said, we american cyclists also naturally want to romanticize things we enjoy, we believe that the chris king factory is a place of great wonder and innovation, or at least (at the very least) a place where employees are valued and respected. We want the reality of the company to match our own reality with the company's products and sadly, that doesn't seem to be the case.

Its kinda like learning many years later that your favorite cyclist was a lying, cheating, doper. Something like that.
Or that the fork you thought was "made in the USA by choice," was actually made in taiwan...
Old 05-05-2016, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corso View Post
Would you really the set if it as in a better box? Really?
No, but since it's a premium product at a premium price, presenting it in a proper case (that's a lot of 'p's) seems like good marketing.

I hope he sells tons of these. But I too think the presentation in a cardboard box is kind of cheap given the price of the items in question.

Having this NOS in 20+ years would be cool and a lot cooler in a wooden or aluminum box to show off what's inside.

As far as working there, yeah, I agree. If people don't like their employer the onus is upon them to change that situation. Don't whine about it and then stick around. Do something about your situation. That's a much larger issue of course......
Old 05-05-2016, 07:32 PM
Imshi Cycles

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab2000 View Post
Having this NOS in 20+ years would be cool and a lot cooler in a wooden or aluminum box to show off what's inside.
What, EXACTLY, would be cool about having a fancy box full of special bike parts too valuable to be ridden?

The coolest thing CK could have done was add the color to their standard offerings and have some with special 40th engraving that were priced slightly higher and in a limited edition. THAT, in my opinion, would have been super duper cool.

Quote:
As far as working there, yeah, I agree. If people don't like their employer the onus is upon them to change that situation. Don't whine about it and then stick around. Do something about your situation. That's a much larger issue of course......
Not everyone can afford to just up and walk out of their job on principle. I think its awesome that some people can...but its not a reality for most.
Old 05-05-2016, 07:48 PM

Quote:
No, but since it's a premium product at a premium price, presenting it in a proper case (that's a lot of 'p's) seems like good marketing.
I would not buy it if even it came in a numbered ss box signed by CK himself, since it is not special to me in any way, but I do agree that the cardboard box is cheap and contradictory.

In fact, I think that the box (regardless of material), and the inclusion of the tamper, is the real problem with this whole thing.

Imagine the (likely vastly different) tone of this thread if (no box, no tamper) an announcement had been issued reading:
"To commemorate the 40th anniversary of Chris King Precision Components, we are now producing our components in a special new color, Olive Green, to be issued only in 2016."

Period. Done. Positive comments all around, I bet.
This beat is just trying too hard.

EDIT:
Exactly. This would have been perfect, understated, simple:
Quote:
Originally Posted by eBAUMANN View Post
The coolest thing CK could have done was add the color to their standard offerings and have some with special 40th engraving that were priced slightly higher and in a limited edition.

Last edited by cadence90; 05-05-2016 at 07:52 PM.
Old 05-05-2016, 08:09 PM

Quote:
The discussion here stems primarily from disappointment.

I would venture to guess that the vast majority of the members of this forum own or have owned a chris king component at some point or another, and they likely had very positive experiences with said component because, at the end of the day, chris king makes nice stuff.

This has garnered CK a certain amount of global prestige in the bike bizz and I would venture to guess that we american cyclists take a certain amount of pride knowing that we are supporting american manufacturing every time we pay the premium for a CK part. I know I do.

THAT said, we american cyclists also naturally want to romanticize things we enjoy, we believe that the chris king factory is a place of great wonder and innovation, or at least (at the very least) a place where employees are valued and respected. We want the reality of the company to match our own reality with the company's products and sadly, that doesn't seem to be the case.

Its kinda like learning many years later that your favorite cyclist was a lying, cheating, doper. Something like that.
Or that the fork you thought was "made in the USA by choice," was actually made in taiwan...
I’m with you, well stated. Already understood.
But take the “working conditions” part out of this,(every company has disgruntle employees) and you have a fancy kit in a low cost box, that (to most) isn’t worth the (extra) money.

Most agree His headsets have set the standard, and over the life of a bike, ARE worth the $ or his company would have folded years ago. A hit. The olive bad set is (based on comments) a miss.

The market will decide. If they re-name them GRAVEL GRINDER SPECIALS perhaps they will sell out?

Am I suddenly disappointed in Chris King based on this miss? Or internet rumor? Nope. Most bike companies have had a “miss" over the years. You have to try, right?
Old 05-05-2016, 08:10 PM

I agree with the above sentiments except to say that at the prices asked a nicer box would make it more appealing.

I'm not buying either way. I have a CK headset on my Indy Fab but that's it.

I appreciate the workmanship and the rest but I'm not in love with CK stuff. I hate the buzz saw noise from their hubs and their headsets have too high a stack height for my liking. I use Campagnolo headsets on most of my bikes that take aftermarket headsets.

My only opinion is that at the prices asked it's not unreasonable to expect something more than a cardboard box. As always, vote with your wallet.
Old 05-05-2016, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Not everyone can afford to just up and walk out of their job on principle. I think its awesome that some people can...but its not a reality for most.
agreed. with the caveat that we're talking about bottom of the rung, minimum wage jobs here (from the sound of the glass door reviews). in my experience, those are by far the easiest jobs to come by.

for me, I think it sucks to think people are mistreated and making a crap wage at a company that sells high priced goods and touts proudly that they're expensive because they're made in America.

however, we're all lying to ourselves if we think they're unique in this regard.
Old 05-06-2016, 06:01 AM

I absolutely cannot get over the fact that the creator of the "foodie fondo" is selling a pepper shaker instead of a pepper mill. Everything else aside that's enough reason to dislike this whole series in my mind.
Old 05-06-2016, 07:34 AM
not banished

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandyrs View Post
i absolutely cannot get over the fact that the creator of the "foodie fondo" is selling a pepper shaker instead of a pepper mill. Everything else aside that's enough reason to dislike this whole series in my mind.

^^^^^^^^ like
Old 05-06-2016, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandyrs View Post
I absolutely cannot get over the fact that the creator of the "foodie fondo" is selling a pepper shaker instead of a pepper mill. Everything else aside that's enough reason to dislike this whole series in my mind.
Good one, nuff said.
Old 05-06-2016, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post

If half of that is true I'll never buy another C. King product.
Old 05-06-2016, 09:13 AM

I kind of like the limited color runs they were doing: Normal pricing just a small window to get that specific color (purple, sour apple, turquoise etc) but this just seems like a surcharge for engraving and some extra junk. meh..
Old 05-06-2016, 09:23 AM
The B!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatty View Post
If half of that is true I'll never buy another C. King product.
All those reviews sound like they were written by the same person...
Old 05-06-2016, 10:54 AM

I'm still baffled by individuals who logon to a forum and complain about forum people discussing bike things. I mean.... That's the purpose of a forum right? The banter doesn't have to be right or wrong, but it's a forum for cyclists to discuss things. Yes, we're all bothered that we've been pouring money into the CK brand since racing BMX days, and they're trying to sell us $1800 olive green parts in a cardboard box. When you go to a nice restaurant, would it bother you if your steak came out with mash potatoes tossed on top all sloppy, or do you cherish presentation, knowing you're eating at a very nice $$$$ dining establishment?

It's a collectors set in what looks to be an inside out folded Fedex/Dominos Pizza box. I mean.. C'mon.