Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-04-2022, 09:39 PM

I have purchased two sets of Bora Ultras 35 in tub with the first set being rim brake and the second set disc. I weigh 80kg and the wheels have remained true over a couple seasons of riding on the rim brake set. When I purchased the Disc frame I wanted to have a set of the Boras for it as they are a light production set with easy to service brgings so I sold the rimset as my rim brake bike was trickled to back up /race training bike and just used the Prime wheelset for it. It would be nice if they were a bit wider but I can still get the 28 tubs on without too much overhang.
Best wheelset I have owned.
Old 12-04-2022, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by username View Post
I bought a pair a month or so ago and absolutely love them except for one thing: they're blingy enough that I worry about riding them on the very bad roads around here. I know that's completely stupid. I bought 'em; I should just enjoying riding 'em. But there it is: I'm stupid. I'll almost certainly end up selling them, because I don't like to think about equipment while I'm riding.
I suggest keeping them. I ride the Bora WTO 45s and in 2021 I had the biggest pothole hit I've had in over 30 years of riding and racing. Hard enough to rotate my handlebars down and to twist my seat sideways.

I thought surely my Boras were ruined. I stopped and there was absolutely no indication that they had hit the pothole. I thought that maybe the damage was internal and I was worried that there would be some delamination or cracking after 500 miles. But no, they still look perfect today. If those wheels had been aluminum, I am positive I would have not only trashed the rim but I would have gone down on my lips. And I'm saying this as a person who has bent a few wheels over the years.
Old 12-05-2022, 08:12 AM

is there enough of a difference between the Bora One tubular, and the WTO (rim brake) to make the jump? the WTO look to be significantly heavier.

Tags
buy buy buy, conspicuous consumption