Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-27-2024, 09:48 AM

But really.

You can put ice in the fridge if you want. It holds stuff just like a cooler...
Old 02-27-2024, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likes2ridefar View Post
How do you power it on a multi day trip with no electricity? Put your ice in bags…easy solution to the mess and more efficient keeping the ice packed together.. Plenty of great options out there.
I spent four days with a rented travel trailer, a non-working fridge (power issues) and my two Engel cooler bags. A daily trip to the super market for ice kept my stuff cold.
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 02-27-2024, 10:26 AM
n - 1

Like I mentioned, today’s solar panels are pretty efficient, as are the fridges. I’ve never run out of power on week long outings in the backcountry with a 100w panel and 500w battery. Of course, I live in the high desert, so sun is plentiful. PNW or somewhere else with not a lot of sun might be a different story. Of course, those areas may require less power usage due to colder temps as well.
Old 02-27-2024, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by p nut View Post
Like I mentioned, today’s solar panels are pretty efficient, as are the fridges. I’ve never run out of power on week long outings in the backcountry with a 100w panel and 500w battery. Of course, I live in the high desert, so sun is plentiful. PNW or somewhere else with not a lot of sun might be a different story. Of course, those areas may require less power usage due to colder temps as well.
This is good to know, and now I’ve got some research to do. It is almost always brilliantly sunny where we camp.

It is often very inconvenient to fetch ice from remote sites and sometimes the cost is absurd.

Last edited by Likes2ridefar; 02-27-2024 at 10:42 AM.
Old 02-27-2024, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by p nut View Post
I think this thread can probably summarized with: if you have power buy a fridge.

If you don't have power buy a rotomolded cooler

Old 02-27-2024, 10:53 AM
n - 1

Quote:
This is good to know, and now I’ve got some research to do. It is almost always brilliantly sunny where we camp.

It is often very inconvenient to fetch ice from remote sites and sometimes the cost is absurd.
Never underestimate the revitalizing power of ice cream when you’re way out in the sticks on a 100+ degree day!
Old 02-27-2024, 11:08 AM

Quote:
How do you power it on a multi day trip with no electricity? Put your ice in bags…easy solution to the mess and more efficient keeping the ice packed together.. Plenty of great options out there.
I have a portable jump starter that I have used to run the fridge in a rare instance when I didn't want to use the car battery because I was heading off on a ride. Not as straightforward as a power station because the jumper turns off when there's no draw, but if unopened the cooler stays cold for many hours (longer than my ride would be).
Old 03-28-2024, 12:36 PM

A one month follow up. Because of this thread I now own a 35L iceco powered cooler, a portable power station, and a folding solar panel.

But it works and I don’t think I’ll need ice again for camping!

Last edited by Likes2ridefar; 03-28-2024 at 12:38 PM.
Old 03-28-2024, 12:42 PM

Quote:
A one month follow up. Because of this thread I now own a 35L iceco powered cooler, a portable power station, and a folding solar panel.

But it works and I don’t think I’ll need ice again for camping!
Nice, which one did you get? My only wish is that my JP50 had been available with wheels when I bought it, it is very heavy and quite unwieldy when full.
Old 03-28-2024, 12:54 PM

I got the vl35pro https://icecofreezer.com/products/vl...-iceco-freezer

It was discounted a bit when I bought it a few weeks ago. The battery and panel were too in a spring sale but no longer.

It is heavy at 48lbs empty. It is nearly silent and cools incredibly quickly requiring very little power.

Last edited by Likes2ridefar; 03-28-2024 at 12:57 PM.
Old 03-28-2024, 12:56 PM

Old 03-28-2024, 01:06 PM

Wow, they've really revamped their lineup and added a lot of optional equipment since I bought mine. I like the look of the your VL, I bought the JP primarily because it was a bit lighter than the aluminum one.
Old 03-28-2024, 01:22 PM

Im impressed with the unit. It’s well built and is easy to use. It came with extras for every part including a complete handle replacement plus adapters to run in the car or at home.

The lid is interesting in that it opens from both sides or is completely removed using both releases at once.

Last edited by Likes2ridefar; 03-28-2024 at 01:26 PM.
Old 03-31-2024, 06:11 AM

I`ll give my update also. I ended up getting a yeti roadie 24. I got it from REI, so was able to use my dividend and the 20% coupon on it. So it brought the total down to around $100. I ended up ordering it before the 20% off sale not knowing it was going to start in a few days. But I was able to get them to apply the coupon retroactively.

We took a roadtrip to Disney which was two days of driving each way. I loaded it up with ice packs and the few items that we wanted to keep cool. It worked out great, and fit in the car perfectly.
Old 03-31-2024, 08:22 AM

The roadie 24 is a great cooler. Ours has the cushion adhered to the top. It adds even more weight but is very comfortable to sit on.