Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-03-2016, 05:34 PM

If the GSW S 4Motion 6MT had bixenons that would be a slam dunk for me. Looks like a GTI or another make is still the leading contender. I may also wait it out a bit.
Old 07-04-2016, 02:02 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelhd View Post
If the GSW S 4Motion 6MT had bixenons that would be a slam dunk for me. Looks like a GTI or another make is still the leading contender. I may also wait it out a bit.
*** is 'bixenons'?? A headlight?
'
Old 07-04-2016, 02:39 PM

No, no

Its fluid gender alien life form

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
'
Old 07-04-2016, 02:42 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutgallery View Post
No, no

Its fluid gender alien life form
Old 07-04-2016, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
'
Yup. Our Volvos have those lights and they are called active bending lights and illuminate where you are going in turns....
Old 07-04-2016, 02:51 PM

What do you think?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (68.2 KB, 200 views)
Old 07-04-2016, 02:55 PM

Vermont plates? What appears to be a warm, sunny day? Must be the best week of the year...summer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat3roadracer View Post
What do you think?
Old 07-04-2016, 04:01 PM

Dealers are dealin'.

I've decided on a 2016 GSW SE, Tornado red with the black interior. Leatherette instead of leather like my GTI Autobahn, but still nice. Not many of them left, but dealer has dropped about $5500 off of MSRP.
Old 07-04-2016, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutgallery View Post
Vermont plates? What appears to be a warm, sunny day? Must be the best week of the year...summer
The weather here has been perfect. About four hours from Albany, but a great lunch and tour of a Ben & Jerrys factory in Waterbury. Hopefully I'll be back in October.
Old 07-04-2016, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rccardr View Post
Dealers are dealin'.

I've decided on a 2016 GSW SE, Tornado red with the black interior. Leatherette instead of leather like my GTI Autobahn, but still nice. Not many of them left, but dealer has dropped about $5500 off of MSRP.
Interestingly enough the new fake leather feels softer than pervious generations.
Old 07-04-2016, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat3roadracer View Post
Interestingly enough the new fake leather feels softer than pervious generations.
Seems to be the big thing in German cars nowadays. I've seen the fake stuff in $55K Mercedes'. They charge a hefty premium for the real hides.
Old 07-06-2016, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akelman View Post
Does anyone happen to know more about this? I'd like to mount a 2" hitch on whatever I get next.
Look at the Torklift EcoHitch. Mine just arrived (1 1/4") for my R but I have not installed it yet. I think they have a 2" option for most VW's. Looks a little chunky and you have to trim a little more than the 1 1/4".
Old 07-06-2016, 01:12 PM

Picked up my new Golf R last week. It's all kinds of awesome. Got a reasonable deal given their rarity - paid a few hundred over invoice. One of only two for sale in the entire state currently, and the only 6MT. Tornado Red, Black Leather, DSS, Nav, and the Driver Assistance package. Puts a smile on my face every time I take it out!
Old 07-06-2016, 01:37 PM
Time & Bikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by batman1425 View Post
Picked up my new Golf R last week. It's all kinds of awesome. Got a reasonable deal given their rarity - paid a few hundred over invoice. One of only two for sale in the entire state currently, and the only 6MT. Tornado Red, Black Leather, DSS, Nav, and the Driver Assistance package. Puts a smile on my face every time I take it out!
I have the Golf GTI, the little brother for your new Golf R.

And I'm also very happy every time I drive it -- the best combo on the market, I think, of sports car, practical car, comfort car.

Dave, who is also looking forward to selling back the Jetta Sportwagen TDI to VW
Old 07-06-2016, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHallerman View Post
I have the Golf GTI, the little brother for your new Golf R.

And I'm also very happy every time I drive it -- the best combo on the market, I think, of sports car, practical car, comfort car.

Dave, who is also looking forward to selling back the Jetta Sportwagen TDI to VW
If I could have gotten a GTI with AWD, I would have been plenty happy with that. I certainly don't "need" 292hp. A GTI with good snows is a great winter car for most places, but around here (MN) the AWD counts for something so I got the R to get the AWD. The extra power is a bonus! Great interior space, practical (EcoHitch is on the way so I can use the hitch rack we bought for our SUV), fit and finish is nice, user interface with the touch screen is very good, controls are well laid out, clutch is great. If you force me to make a few complaints - side view mirrors are a little small, the 19" wheels are borderline garish and crazy expensive for rubber, and the overall price is a hard pill to swallow - until you realize it is essentially a S3 sportback for 10K less than what it would cost in Europe.

My favorite part is the understated look. I'm too old for the boy racer stuff. It looks pretty much like a normal golf aside from the R badges and wheels. Until you hit the go pedal. Then its a whole different animal. Can't wait for the break in period to finish so I can try out launch control!

Last edited by batman1425; 07-06-2016 at 02:12 PM.

Tags
autoscam, boring threads