Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-18-2017, 09:51 PM

Black Mountain Cycles - Road frames?

Any recent Black Mountain Cycles - Road frame builds, reviews? It looks like a great option.

http://blackmtncycles.com/frames/road-frames/

http://blackmtncycles.com/tech-info/road-frames/

Following up on this from 2013: http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=125599

Quote:
Originally Posted by yetitotheheady View Post
Black Mountain Cycles Road Frameset

Black Mountain Cycles, in Point Reyes Station, CA. Its a one man operation run by Mike Varley. He has a great reputation as a mechanic, and has 10+ years of experience as a bicycle designer for Masi and Haro. He knows the ins and outs of the bike industry in Taiwan. So it made sense for him to revisit his friends overseas to start making frames under the name, Black Mountain Cycles, that reflect his type of design and riding style.
Mike Varley.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BMC road 2.jpg (84.7 KB, 404 views)
Old 03-18-2017, 10:11 PM

No idea personally but I've only seen great reviews. if I did not have my bob jackson I'd have a BMC road frame.
Old 03-19-2017, 08:33 AM

Bicycling magazine, March issue had a review of a Black Mountain Cycles - Road bike.
Old 03-19-2017, 08:38 AM
Administrator

go to our "production bikes" gallery section and search for "black" in the title. a few of us have the road bikes and they are pretty universally liked.

i would say that there is not a better value for a steel frame/fork roadie that fits fat tires on the market.

great "all-day" bike!

i have a blue one:

Old 03-19-2017, 08:52 AM

I have a blue one too. Really love it. Had it for a few years. Personally, there is not much more in a road bike I would want. Fun on road, fun on dirt! Good specs, nice tubing, pretty light, feels lively.

Also, very cool shop in Pt. Reyes Station north of SF. Owner Mike Varley is also an interesting guy to follow and read about online. Nice to meet and deal with too.
Old 03-19-2017, 08:57 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nash View Post
I have a blue one too. Really love it. Had it for a few years. Personally, there is not much more in a road bike I would want. Fun on road, fun on dirt! Good specs, nice tubing, pretty light, feels lively.

Also, very cool shop in Pt. Reyes Station north of SF. Owner Mike Varley is also an interesting guy to follow and read about online. Nice to meet and deal with too.
you know, i didnt even think of it, but i have to drive right through that neck of the woods next week. i may stop in and meet him. good idea!
Old 03-19-2017, 09:15 AM

How big a tire

What's the max size tire that fits?

I took a look at the Specialized Diverge and it had 33's, I think I could make it work as my do everything bike.

Anyway, max tire size appreciated

Ray
Old 03-19-2017, 09:22 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley View Post
What's the max size tire that fits?

I took a look at the Specialized Diverge and it had 33's, I think I could make it work as my do everything bike.

Anyway, max tire size appreciated

Ray
i can fit a jack brown 33.33333 in my frame, and that's pretty much the max.
Old 03-19-2017, 09:23 AM

Helped a friend pick out a steel rode bike and we settled on the Black Mountain road. He likes it a lot!
"Clearance for 33mm tires; with 35mm wide fenders will fit 28mm tires"

Last edited by Tony; 03-19-2017 at 09:25 AM.
Old 03-19-2017, 09:50 AM

Cool

If it'll fit 33's I might be doing that too, been looking at the Monstercross, hard decision
Old 03-19-2017, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley View Post
If it'll fit 33's I might be doing that too, been looking at the Monstercross, hard decision
I have a Monster Cross and like it so much that I'm considering a Road frame.
Old 03-19-2017, 10:58 AM

Here's mine. For the money it's a great riding frame, really fun bike. I bought it as a second bike to leave at my GF family's summer place upstate, which it's perfect for. Use mine mainly on the road, but also great on light gravel rail trails - set up with 28 Gravel Kings and 50x34 x 11-32 gearing can climb most anything. This build is ~21 lbs Ultegra/105 mix, Fulcrum 5 LGs(7s pictured), Ritchey Comp, Fabric Scoop race saddle.

No it's not a carbon bike, but still climbs very nicely and the geometry is very forgiving and predictable descending. It's do-it-all attitude overlaps Road/Gravel dedicated setups.

Old 03-19-2017, 12:03 PM

I liked the road so much that when I had the money I picked up the new monstercross frame. Its pretty fun too. I just really dig his whole kind of thing, his philosophy on cycling or whatever. Word is he's working on a 650b disc road frame but I don't really dig that very much.
Old 03-19-2017, 03:29 PM

Love my Monster cross and Mike is a very cool guy to deal with, easy going and thoughtful.
Old 03-19-2017, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nash View Post

Agreed. I had an original version orange one for three years and it was great. Definitely fun and lively. Really nice feel to it on out of the saddle efforts. I also loved the paint - pretty sure it's a wet paint and the clearcoat is nice and thick. Just a wonderful bike to ride.