Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-17-2017, 04:59 PM
ferro verum est

Buy a new bike with a solid warranty. Make sure they don't specify weight limits. Trek is pretty good, Salsa too. If you break any parts, just get them swapped, you'll be covered nicely.

Lots of parts break when you're heavy. The frame gets more stress obviously (so more prone to cracking), but even hubs (flanges) and cassettes (spiders) can break and if they're purchased new, you will quickly make friends with the LBS with warranty visits.

Last edited by sonicCows; 03-17-2017 at 05:24 PM.
Old 03-17-2017, 05:21 PM

Agree with above, buy a new bike with warranty. Its not worth the risk to buy used, unless perhaps you know the seller well.
Old 03-17-2017, 06:38 PM

I appreciate all the feedback and the time everyone has taken to respond to my questions. Many perspectives to consider and I'll do my best to find a good bike. Thanks again.
Old 03-17-2017, 09:26 PM

Ride on.
Old 03-17-2017, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWhale View Post
I appreciate all the feedback and the time everyone has taken to respond to my questions. Many perspectives to consider and I'll do my best to find a good bike. Thanks again.
Put up a wtb ad in the classifieds. See what shakes loose! Most importantly have fun.
Old 03-17-2017, 10:26 PM
v a n i l l a

Quote:
This makes a lot of sense in many ways. At my current weight I could purchase a utility bike to use to drop my weight. In the meantime, save for the custom reward bike when I hit 220.
Through reading the forum my understanding is that even at 220lbs I would still need very stout wheels anyway. So that investment would possibly carry over to the next bike.
For so called "clydesdales" there is the nuance of the frame and the wheels.
aluminum bar stem post for sure.

I dont think the ride that suits you at 280 is the one best at 220. 60 pound delta is a lot no matter what the starting point.

although you (and I)) have dreams of weight loss, the one factor no one knows is "how long will it take?" I'm not saying that to be a richard, I am saying that because I htink you will best be served going in knowing you will be rebuying once your weight closes in on your target.

it's hard for me to image you might fold a frame assuming you are riding "light' and not bashing potholes. so to start, I'd find a used frame and make sure your wheels are stout.

once you get to 240 and lower, now you can go custom frame and even ksryium elites at 1550g.

I'm no expert, but all the research says that consistency more than hero effort or mileage is the key to sustained loss.

best of luck

here's an articl you might find insightful
https://www.bikerumor.com/2011/12/07...eavier-riders/
Old 03-17-2017, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Don't worry too much about the frame. Buy used alu. Here are a couple of my pals. One goes 375 and the other 300. Neither has had any frame issues with used aluminum mid level frames. They do get a lot of flats, but that's another story.