Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-16-2017, 12:10 PM

Consider it a lesson and move on....and by move on I mean move on to a different chain supplier....
Old 03-16-2017, 12:29 PM

Faulty link by KMC and confirmed by them now opens them up to a possible safety recall. Lucky that the broken chain didn't cause the derailleur to go into the spokes or jam the rear wheel. Can be reported for suspected product safety....... KMC should pay for the damaged part and have better quality control.... I use KMC 10 speed chains..never a problem.....
Old 03-16-2017, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemondvictoire View Post
Faulty link by KMC and confirmed by them now opens them up to a possible safety recall. Lucky that the broken chain didn't cause the derailleur to go into the spokes or jam the rear wheel. Can be reported for suspected product safety....... KMC should pay for the damaged part and have better quality control.... I use KMC 10 speed chains..never a problem.....
It did do that and to a set of Lightweight wheels. It caused zero damage to the wheel but definitely made me nervous.
Old 03-16-2017, 06:13 PM

Just curious, have you checked if this event affected your derailleur hanger ?
Old 03-16-2017, 08:32 PM

Yes had the shop check as soon as I got to the shop. It was dead straight. They made sure to document any damage when 1st submitting a claim. This is not my lbs 1st rodeo when it came to a warranty claim with a company.
Old 03-16-2017, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huck*this View Post
Yes had the shop check as soon as I got to the shop. It was dead straight. They made sure to document any damage when 1st submitting a claim. This is not my lbs 1st rodeo when it came to a warranty claim with a company.
Props on having such a worthy LBS, I'm jealous.
Old 03-17-2017, 04:45 AM
Proud Grandpa

It's not outrageous to ask for a der replacement, since they admitted the chain was defective and killed the rear der. I had the very same thing with a Connex snap link and they bought the lady a new rear der($295)..I say insist, use the phone, go up the chain.
Old 03-17-2017, 02:50 PM

Sorry to hear this, KMC is my go to chain and I've had no problems with them. I have had bad luck with others and will not use them.

As for your issue, typically a manufacturer will only warranty their own product. In construction, there are multiple manufacturers of products and the contractor provides a 1 year warranty that will cover the entire project. after that, it's the manufacturer's warranty that kicks in. Some warranties will cover damage due to the failure of their product, but that's usually more like an insurance policy that the manufacturer has. this is pretty rare and usually comes at a premium.

Just be glad that there was not more damage and you were not hurt.