Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-16-2017, 10:42 AM

Advice on warranty from KMC?

OK so after getting the bike all built up in under 100mi the KMC chain snaps at the master link. Sheering off the entire pin and also sheering off the derailleur in half. Brand new 2016 Campagnolo Chorus rear derailleur.

KMC owns up that it was a fault in manufacturing of the master link and will replace the chain but the rear derailleur is on me.

What are your thoughts on this? Is KMC in the right? Should I fight it? I believe they should also replace the parts that leaded up to the failed chain.

Below is the correspondence between LBS and KMC. Start at the bottom and read to the top. I removed the LBS name and LBS mechanic name as they are not at fault.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, March 13, 2017 1:59pm
To: *****
Subject: RE: New submission from We'll Be In Touch Shortly

Hi LBS MECH,

Unfortunately our warranty process only covers the chain itself. There is nothing we are able to do about the other parts on the bike.

Thank you,
KMC Team

Sent: Monday, March 13, 2017 10:55 AM
To: KMA-Info <info@kmcchain.us>

I am still waiting on an answer on what to do about the parts your chain destroyed.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Friday, March 10, 2017 2:42pm
To:****

Hi LBS MECH,

We are sorry to hear that your customer’s KMC chain failed on them. Please fill out and return the attached warranty form. Once we have the form you will receive a prepaid UPS label emailed to you from UPS to print out and use to ship the broken chain back to us. Once we have the chain we will ship you out a brand new replacement chain free of charge.

Thank you,
KMC Team

Sent: Friday, March 10, 2017 9:25 AM
To: KMA-Info <info@kmcchain.us>
Subject: New submission from We'll Be In Touch Shortly

My name is LBS MECH and I am the service manager at LBS. Recently, we installed an X11 chain with supplied master link and it failed within 100 miles. The pin pulled out of the master link entirely, then the chain failed. We have sold and installed hundreds of KMC master links in the past (100 last year alone) and have had no issues with them. We make sure to set the links with a tool and every bike gets test ridden after service is completed.
This particular master link failure ended up snapping a brand new Campagnolo Chorus 11s rear derailleur in the process. Looking closely at the master link, you can see that the link was installed properly and the link is still connected to the chain on half.
I don't know exactly what your warranty is, but this seems to be a pretty obvious master link failure with all matching parts properly installed. I am still in possession of the chain and would gladly send you any photos you may need to aid in the process.
Thanks,
LBS MECH
Old 03-16-2017, 10:44 AM

I side with KMC. Your request opens up a can of worms.
Old 03-16-2017, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelhd View Post
I side with KMC. Your request opens up a can of worms.
Meaning? I'm just trying to make sense of their logic other than from a monetary standard.
Old 03-16-2017, 10:51 AM

I wouldn't bother trying to get more than an apology and a new chain. I may however not use it or buy more of their products if i dident trust it or was happy with the handling of the issue.

If they however offered to pay for the derailleur i would have thought that was some great product warranty and id be very interested in purchasing their products in the future.

Last edited by tuscanyswe; 03-16-2017 at 10:54 AM.
Old 03-16-2017, 10:53 AM

I guy I know had that problem which till today I cannont explain. Either way I really doubt they will make themselves for the RD, doesnt belong to them you know.

Just in case, U can use a 10 speed link aswell.
Old 03-16-2017, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuscanyswe View Post
I wouldn't bother trying to get more than an apology and a new chain. I may however not use it or buy more of their products if i dident trust it or was happy with the handling of the issue.
Yes I thought the same. Just wanted to see how others feel. My LBS has stepped up and offering me the lowest price I can find including overseas suppliers on a new derailleur installed with no labor costs. Can't beat that, but to be honest, I would have liked to see that offer from KMC not my LBS.....
Old 03-16-2017, 10:56 AM

Depends on the terms of the warranty, your state's laws, and potentially another state's laws depending on applicable choice of law provisions and where KMC is located.

Either let it go or talk to a lawyer.
Old 03-16-2017, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jruhlen1980 View Post
Depends on the terms of the warranty, your state's laws, and potentially another state's laws depending on applicable choice of law provisions and where KMC is located.

Either let it go or talk to a lawyer.
For a sub $200 claim?
Old 03-16-2017, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdgenbird View Post
For a sub $200 claim?
Exactly. The implication is "let it go".

This gets filed under "Sucks: but whatyagonnado".

Last edited by ColonelJLloyd; 03-16-2017 at 11:30 AM.
Old 03-16-2017, 11:30 AM

Just checking

It is a crappy situation but I agree that it's opening a can of worms.
Old 03-16-2017, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huck*this View Post
Meaning? I'm just trying to make sense of their logic other than from a monetary standard.
Their warranty applies to the parts they manufacture. If any damage occurs as a result of failure of their equipment, it is not their responsibility. They did not manufacture, install, or maintain those parts. I bet a clause similar to this is in their warranty disclosure.

It's a can of worms because if any major part on a bicycle fails, it's possible that the bicycle suffers major damage from a crash, not to mention you. So if your pedal (handlebars, stem, saddle, insert your favorite part here) fails, and you crash, you would expect to have your bicycle replaced even though you did not buy it as an assembled bicycle?

Assembled bicycles are another matter. I would think that if you bought the bike from a dealer and a component failed, damaging the rest of the bicycle, that it would be covered under warranty. As always, it depends.
Old 03-16-2017, 11:36 AM

I'm not accusing you of funny business but how would KMC know that their chain wrecked anything else on your bike. What if a crook sent them a part that was broken long ago and claimed it was on the bike when the chain broke?
Old 03-16-2017, 11:37 AM

KMC's liability ends at the chain. Component OEMs all recommend only their own chain on their drivetrains, even tho it requires a $200+ tool for campy (tho the new Park CT works fine). It would be a nice gesture for the LBS to hook you up with a new derailleur at a discount. Sadly this is just part of working on bikes. Most people would be blaming the mechanic regardless so they're lucky you're reasonable. These things happen, they should help you out, and you should reward them with continued patronage.
Old 03-16-2017, 11:41 AM

Legal issue: you're right, the chain issue which they have admitted, damaged the derailleur, and they are likely liable for the loss.

Realism issue: looks like you're going to eat the $200. What are you going to do? Sue them?

All you can do is send a threatening letter.
Old 03-16-2017, 12:06 PM

Yes I already told the shop that I would take them up on their offer of the discounted part and install for free. Yes it would not be worth the headache over $200 part. The only thing is I wish that offer came from KMC as I believe they are at fault. But oh well things happen. I JUST WANT TO RIDE MY BIKE AGAIN!!