Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-16-2017, 07:05 AM
Old, Fat & Slow

Designing a shop from the walls out... Thoughts on layout?

So I'm moving from wrench to business partner/co-owner of a smaller shop. I have the opportunity to help design the ultimate shop.

2 maybe 3 stands with 1 for check-ins (no tools at that stand)

12ish by 20ish feet.

Yes to tool boards. No to tools in drawers other than the rarely used stuff.

Ideas? Pics? Floorplans?

Whatcha got?!

M
Old 03-16-2017, 09:22 AM

Nothing to add, but excited for you and looking forward to following this thread
Old 03-16-2017, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee View Post
smaller shop 12ish by 20ish feet. M
For the service area or the whole shop?

Good Luck

Jeff
Old 03-16-2017, 09:35 AM
Classics Fan

How big is the rest of the shop? and how is it configured and what kind of volume do you expect?

I personally like shops where the mechanic's work space area is open to customers. I've been to a few shops that have a counter, that separates the work area from the rest of the shop. You drop off your bike like it is dry cleaning. Not a huge fan.
Old 03-16-2017, 10:03 AM

I was fortunate enough to attend Barnett's Bicycle Institute last summer. If I remember correctly there are 12 benches. Each one is set up exactly the same with the perimeter of the pegboard numbered as in a grid. Much thought was given as to how each tool is laid out and each tool has an outline so you know exactly where it goes.

I don't know if somewhere on the vast internet there might be a plan showing the grid/layout. If you contact Barnett's, they may have such a plan available.

The value in this is obvious, a tach can work at any bench and know exactly where each tool is.

I can reach up and grab a tool from my bench w/o looking. We have four benches in my shop, each one laid out differently. Drives me nuts to work off another bench.

I want to set up each bench the same, but the other techs like to personalitheir bench and it's a battle not worth fighting.

But if I were to set up a shop from the get go, I would most certainly set up each bench identical.

One other thought. Instead of pegboard made from hardboard, there is also available pegboard made from steel metal. Somewhat expensive but ultra cool and much more durable. Not sure if you could outline the tools.
Old 03-16-2017, 10:25 AM
extremely tall

UBI has a layout; photo attached.

I would advise STRONGLY against pegboard. Pegs fall out, stuff falls behind it, etc.

Instead, use plywood and lay all the tools out on it flat, maybe using the photo here as a starting point. Use sheetrock screws as hangers, installing them while the board is flat. Turn the board upright with the tools to verify everything is hanging correctly. Then use a sharpie to mark the outline of each tool in its place. Then take the tools off, and write in the name of any tool you think isn't easily identified by its outline. Every tool has a place, and anyone can tell where to put things away.

IMO you could consolidate a lot of what's here. For spoke wrenches, for example, a long screw would hold all of them, and the 2 used most frequently (14 & 15) would be on the outside. Maybe the same with cone wrenches depending how frequently they're used. Add a couple of 1.5" deep shelves for tools that don't hang easily, but keeping the locations designated for specific tools.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2017-03-16 at 12.21.04 PM.jpg (56.6 KB, 278 views)

Last edited by echelon_john; 03-16-2017 at 10:27 AM.
Old 03-16-2017, 10:45 AM
Everyone's Favorite Droid

It's all dependent on the space you have and how it flows with the rest of the shop.

Personally, we set up benches exactly the same but would color code all of the tools (a dab of a paint pen is all you need) so that you always know which bench the tool belongs too.

I laid out my tools on the wall to be consistent with where I was on the bike when I needed them.
- For example, headset related tools were on the left side of my wall (if you're facing the tool wall).
- Chain/freehub/der hanger alignment guage (DAG) where all near the right side of the bench.
- Cone wrenches were near the bench vise (that was usually shared so that would go between benches - same with expensive cutting tools - we didn't want to buy multiple set of them when they are rarely used).
- At one shop I had outlined the tools but after a little bit, if you wanted to move something you or if a new tool needed to be up on the wall it got a little ugly.
- Pegboard is convenient but so ugly - plus the hooks always fall off. We painted masonite (CHEAP!!) and just put little nails where we wanted to hang something - you don't realize how many times the tool gets caught in the stupid pegboard hooks.
- Hide the garbage can, cause it's always ugly and you don't want customers seeing that.
- We kept repair parts (cables/housing/chains/cassettes/etc) under a bench that faced away from customers - that turns into a rat's nest, you don't want customers seeing that.
- run the air line from the cieling if you can, i hated tripping over that thing.
- the third check in stand...you'll need a small set of tools there. If it's a quick brake adjustment, do it then and there, get the money now while you can.
- absolutely make the benches identical.

That's just the top of my head stuff.

Oh yeah if you can, have a section of the shop where you can go and do things that look scary to customers (smashing things with a hammer, drilling frames, etc).
Old 03-16-2017, 11:19 AM

Quote:

M
Definitely go with the extra stand for check-ins/estimates and if possible stick it in a spot that is easily accessible for the customer to see you going over the bike and can show them what is wrong..

This really helps keeping things moving and means you don't need to shuffle work around to take in a bike from a customer
Old 03-16-2017, 11:24 AM
Old, Fat & Slow

That pic of the bench is similar to a backboard at a shop I worked at years ago. Brought that backstop home and used it at home till I left Sandy Eggo. Still miss that bench! 1 1/8" granite top with a bull nose was great for working on then cleaning up

Couldn't bang on it tho.

I'm talking about strictly the shop/work area, not the store part of the shop. If that makes sense.

I have a block wall with a big cutout in it for keeping an eye out for customers walking n
Old 03-16-2017, 11:26 AM

Check out Pinterest. Use that as a tool to explore retail design in general, also check out trade show booths for additional inspiration. Good luck!
Old 03-16-2017, 11:50 AM
Vendor

I bought a Wall Control pegboard (https://www.wallcontrol.com). After a bit of use, here's my little review. I like them better than the pegboard it replaced, but those Wall Control hooks still have a tendency sometimes to pull out or get dislodged when trying to remove a tool. So, for sure screws or nails in a wood panel would be more secure. The good thing about the Wall Control is that it's very easy to rearrange things. Mine were the scratch n' dent specials and they still looked pretty good when I got them.
Old 03-16-2017, 04:30 PM

For a squarish setup, three benches along a wall with a waist high counter worked out pretty well.

Two edge benches setup identical for two full time techs.

The center bench functions as a take in stand and open bench for a part time tech. This also holds the vise, grinder/buffer, and the oldest tools in the shop. Center bench gets a double ended workstand (roof mounted would be desirable), to allow take ins from the customer side, and a quick switch to the bench side for quick fixes while allowing for the take in side to be clear again.

Only issue is the rarely used tools like the Campy stuff and facing/chasing goodies. These are in a toolbox on the wrong side.

Trash cans tuck nicely between benches.

Cable/housing under customer counter opposite benches.

Chain/cassette/derailleurs/brakes/common work order parts along every spare inch of the walls. Visible, but not accessible. Things in bins get forgotten, lost, or never re-ordered when needed.

Computer would be right near the opening in the counter, facing the customer. This lets you involve the customer in the take in process, feel close to the workshop, but keep tools out of reach and asses out of the way.
Old 03-16-2017, 04:59 PM
Everything is connected

Coffee area...encourage folks to sip and shop.
Old 03-17-2017, 05:23 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
So I'm moving from wrench to business partner/co-owner of a smaller shop. I have the opportunity to help design the ultimate shop.

12ish by 20ish feet.

Yes to tool boards. No to tools in drawers other than the rarely used stuff.

Ideas? Pics? Floorplans?

Whatcha got?!

M
12 by 20 feet total??? Sounds small for 3 stands..Repair only? Slate wall for stuff? Remember need an office. Also a place to check out/pay.

Only 3 things to remember..cash flow, cash flow, cash flow..

If repair only, think about having the stands out in the retail space..

Also, each wrench own their own tools? Each have their own bench?..let them design it.

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 03-17-2017 at 05:26 AM.
Old 03-17-2017, 07:23 AM

I like the shops where the stands are close together, in the open on the floor, and room for customers to chat while they wrench. It's good for business.

It's like a modern kitchen with an island. Might as well make it nice, because that's where everyone hangs out.

You need a sell area that is clean, a try-on area that is private, and a shop area that is inviting. A nice trainer/fit space near a change room is a bonus.

Walled off stands, tucked in a corner, raised like a pharmacist no bueno, unless you are anti-social.