Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-16-2017, 10:38 AM
Head to Ned

It's funny to hear a 2005 mentioned as an 'older' 3 Series!

I have/had 3 series bimmers from the e30, e36 and e46 platforms. Generally good to great cars but if you need factory service probably not a good idea/value post warranty. See if you have a good experienced INDEPENDANT BMW mechanic local to you. The more you can do yourself (properly), the better your ownership will be.
Old 03-16-2017, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wheelwill View Post
This sounds pretty serious. Was this a recall issue or are owners on their own?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
IIRC there was no recall and BMW lost a class action lawsuit over it. Sounds like the shops know how to do some kind of reinforcement to prevent it from happening but if it happens it's pretty serious.

Never owned one but I loved that generation and did look at a used 2005 330ci w/sport package way back when. Great car, by far the best driving of the cars I was looking at, but it was the most expensive even used, I was looking at the Audi A3 and ended up buying my Acura.. that was 2006, BMW was $30k used, the other two were more like $22-25k new.
Old 03-16-2017, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffWarner View Post
Great cars. I spent 14 years with an E46 (2002 325i with manual transmission). As noted above, my experience was not about poor reliability, but preventative upkeep. A lot of it is mileage based, but a lot of issues are driven by time .... brittle plastic in the cooling system and aged suspension components for example. Maintenance records and a pre-purchase inspection by an experienced BMW mechanic are a must.

The enthusiast community is still strong with the platform and about every issue is documented on the web. To see what you are getting into and set expectations, the following wiki is pretty detailed : http://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/index.php?title=BMW_E46

Are you related to Nurse Jane? Seriously.
Old 03-16-2017, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffWarner View Post
Great cars. I spent 14 years with an E46 (2002 325i with manual transmission). As noted above, my experience was not about poor reliability, but preventative upkeep. A lot of it is mileage based, but a lot of issues are driven by time .... brittle plastic in the cooling system and aged suspension components for example. Maintenance records and a pre-purchase inspection by an experienced BMW mechanic are a must.

The enthusiast community is still strong with the platform and about every issue is documented on the web. To see what you are getting into and set expectations, the following wiki is pretty detailed : http://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/index.php?title=BMW_E46

Are you related to Nurse Jane? Seriously. Did we do The Silver State Challenge together?
Old 03-16-2017, 11:53 AM

I had a 2004 330i ZHP 6 speed that I put 120,000 miles on with quite a few track days. Naturally I replaced a lot of brake pads and rotors but I had no problems with engine, trans, or clutch. As others said I replaced aall cooling system components as a preventive measure at 65,000 miles. I had to replace a few window regulators like many other owners. Reaction rod bushings every 35000 miles. When I sold it it still felt like a new car.

Join BMWCCA for access to good info, tech help, and discounts on parts and service. I'm sure there are good independent shops in your area. Closer to SF I could name shops.
Old 03-16-2017, 07:09 PM

Thanks for all the info. Seller is asking $8000 so seems a little high but mileage is so low. KBB says $6-$7k is fair market but I don't see much selling in that price range. Hope to go drive it tomorrow!!!

Old 03-16-2017, 07:12 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Thanks for all the info. Seller is asking $8000 so seems a little high but mileage is so low. KBB says $6-$7k is fair market but I don't see much selling in that price range.
It's hard to negotiate with a friend, but if his asking price for you is the same as the asking price for some random buyer off the street, I don't think I'd call him a friend.
Old 03-16-2017, 07:18 PM
Head to Ned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
It's hard to negotiate with a friend, but if his asking price for you is the same as the asking price for some random buyer off the street, I don't think I'd call him a friend.
So he should loose money because you know him?
It's a fair price with the mileage.
Old 03-16-2017, 07:27 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by witcombusa View Post
So he should loose money because you know him?
It's a fair price with the mileage.
I'm glad I don't have to count on you as a friend - if for some reason I had to ask for your help you'd probably first tell me how much it would cost then have me sign a legal disclaimer. (after all, that's fair and what it would cost me on the open market)
Old 03-16-2017, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Thanks for all the info. Seller is asking $8000 so seems a little high but mileage is so low. KBB says $6-$7k is fair market but I don't see much selling in that price range. Hope to go drive it tomorrow!!!

Make sure he has paperwork that prove's the 45K is legit, then again if he's a close friend and org owner, then forget that .. Price seems a tad high, but I'd concur w/ prior response that 2005 is hardly "older" (then again, I drive a 1986 grand marquis), and that milage is really low. So if you know it's history and it is that low milage of a cream-puff, I'd say the extra grand or two is well worth it.

Those motors and drivetrains run a long time, but after about 150K or so, expect things to start breaking down and unless you can do most of the non-major stuff yourself, shop rates and parts for BMWs are shockingly high.

When I met my wife she had an '88 325I with 175K on it, and I think over the next 50K, I put over $6000 in it, then ended up giving it away when it wouldn't pass CA smog. She now has a '98 528i that's approaching that "ready your checkbook" milage mark and I'm starting to pucker. She of course won't let me sell it .. and replace it with a Toyota.
Old 03-17-2017, 12:02 PM

I've owned 4 3ers, the E46 is the most trouble-prone one of the lot. I currently have an E30 too, I love that car. The E46 I never got past 'like.'

As mentioned earlier the coolant and vacuum/emission systems are the first to give troubles. Replace them before they fail.

Chassis and bodywork is kind of dumb on this car too - the sunroof will break but OP is buying a 'vert, so it doesn't matter. Body work is really expensive on this car, simple stuff like a fender bender can be thousands of dollars.

If you can work on a bike, you can do most of the maintenance yourself. They are pretty straightforward to work on with a Bentley Manual, and with the internet, easy to get semi-reasonably priced parts for. If you have someone else look after your car, it gets pretty expensive. A buddy's Cayenne dwarfs this cost though. I'll never buy a modern Porsche after the crazy Veblen pricing he pays for basic maintenance.
Old 03-17-2017, 12:59 PM
2016 WS CHAMPS

Have an e46 330i and an e30 318i.

As I expected in the posts, the theme here is preventive upkeep, PLEASE KEEP YOUR COOLING SYSTEM IN MIND! Get yourself a 'cooling system refresh' kit from ECStuning if it has not been done already. And on the e46es, don't run that engine when it's red in the temp gauge. You'll warp that delicate aluminum block.

e46fanatics.com and r3vlimited.com have taught me plenty. Such a great resource and I've DIY-ed most of my stuff with help from those forums (and youtube)
Old 03-17-2017, 01:32 PM

I'm a big fan of 3 series BMW's.....think generally they are great vehicles....the benchmark for sport sedans.....but if I only had a relatively small amount to buy a used vehicle, and was concerned with maintenance and repair costs, I certainly would not be considering a used BMW.
Old 03-17-2017, 06:30 PM

I have a 2007 328i with 230,000 km. As long as you know you are getting into a high maintenance vehicle you will do fine. You have to change the fluids and filters regularly and water pumps and starter motors are service items. Budget $2-2.5K year on service. You can save a bit if you learn to change your own oil and brake parts. It's quite easy and very satisfying.

As others have said, you need to find a good BMW mechanic and have him look at the car before you purchase.
Old 03-17-2017, 06:43 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by summilux View Post
You have to change the fluids and filters regularly
IMO this ^^^^ is understandable and expected for any motor vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by summilux View Post
water pumps and starter motors are service items.
However, if "service items" means more than one (maybe two) replacements over the life of the vehicle (assuming, say, 250k to 300k miles total life for the car) then that's either bad design and/or manufacturing or an intentional situation designed to be a revenue generator long after the initial purchase.