Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-14-2017, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustyrider View Post
Born and raised in southern New Hampshire. I understand exactly what New England has to offer! Honestly I shouldn't rub it in. My vacation coming up may be in weather jeopardy if I'm not careful.
I'm sure it'll clear up.soon. it's finally starting to slow down here and hopefully warm up in the next couple of weeks
Old 03-14-2017, 06:53 PM

We got about 14" of heavy, wet snow in western MA east of the river. The drive home from work was dicey but the GTI with snows is well planted and predictable. No issues. I saw that Central NY got hammered by this storm backed by lake effect.
Old 03-14-2017, 06:55 PM

Snowblower rookie mistake. I had extra belts but no extra shear pins. Doi!
Old 03-14-2017, 07:06 PM

At least the snow here was fluffy. Shear pins are your friend Hank
Old 03-14-2017, 09:32 PM

We got slammed pretty good today. The county's under a state of emergency with a travel ban for non emergency personnel that's not expected to be lifted before tomorrow.

We're at 30+ at the house. some places have more a few have a little less. My back is not real happy right now!

We live in Vestal which is the town just to the West of Binghamton.
Old 03-14-2017, 09:36 PM

I love visiting New England, upstate NY, Wisconsin, etc. especially in the Fall.

We do suffer from "Ho Hum-another lovely day in paradise" but I got over feeling guilty about that 40 years ago. :-)
Old 03-15-2017, 07:59 AM

This storm sucked here for a "fun quotient" to the storm. No good for winter sports even if I had any patience left for them after all the cleanup.

We maybe got 12" of snow. Much less than the 12-18" we had forecasted. But we probably never had 12" on the ground at once. The snow got incredibly "wet" by noon yesterday and started packing down, with the moisture content steadily increasing as the day went on till it was kind of rain for a little while and then switched to freezing rain.

I cleaned up at just about the right time.. the snowblower was right on the verge of jamming/breaking as I finished. Took 2 hours to clear the driveway, running as slow as it can go in drive. (We have an 8HP 2-stage blower)

Woke up this morning and we've got about 2" of ice completely covering the driveway with 1/4" of snow on top of that. Had to chop the end of the driveway out again this morning with a spade. Snow shovel had no chance and a flat/straight metal shovel wouldn't even get through it. Pretty horrible back breaking stuff, worse than shoveling gravel or dirt IME.

Not real worried about the ice on the driveway as it's supposed to warm up over the next few days, our driveway is dead flat, and we have an Accord and a Subaru (outback) so no issues getting in and out even with the ice. Our driveway is on the north side of the house so melting is an issue, it'd be bad if it was hilly.

I went to work in the morning and then came home at lunch.. my Outback pretty much laughs at all these storms. I don't feel like we get enough snow to get snow tires for it but they'd be fun. It feels like cheating after living here so many years with RWD and FWD cars.. even when I sometimes had snow tires for those cars.

I say it would suck for fun as we've basically got rock hard snow with the crust on top. No good for skiing, maybe OK for snowshoes.

Last edited by benb; 03-15-2017 at 08:01 AM.
Old 03-15-2017, 08:34 AM

One thing I notice during this type of storm is the preponderance of drivers who think front wheel and four wheel drive means they don't need snow tires. IMO this is idiocy. You may be able to accelerate from a standing start, but your ability to stop and/or turn is still very compromised. I wish state/local governments would ban driving without snow tires during high intensity snow events. This is frequently done in the mountains of the western US.

Greg
Old 03-15-2017, 08:34 AM
Administrator

Storm was pretty much a bust here. Probably about 4 - 6" on the ground before it turned over to rain. Then things got messy with some minor flooding. We had to make sure we got all the slush out of the way on our long driveway because I knew anything left was going to freeze up over night.

Funny hearing about the "Fake" weather reports this morning. I was wondering why the Darksky forecast was so much different then what was being reported locally. DS pretty much nailed it when the local reports were still saying 12" - 16".

William
Old 03-15-2017, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
We maybe got 12" of snow. Much less than the 12-18" we had forecasted. But we probably never had 12" on the ground at once. The snow got incredibly "wet" by noon yesterday and started packing down, with the moisture content steadily increasing as the day went on till it was kind of rain for a little while and then switched to freezing rain.

I cleaned up at just about the right time.. the snowblower was right on the verge of jamming/breaking as I finished. Took 2 hours to clear the driveway, running as slow as it can go in drive. (We have an 8HP 2-stage blower)
Sounds very much like yesterday afternoon at my house. Needed Yaktrax to stay vertical while getting to the car this morning.
Old 03-15-2017, 08:44 AM

Looks as though we have about 24"/60cm here in northwestern VT. We are catching the wraparound from the storm, big time.

The interesting thing is that it is dry, light powdery snow, as opposed to the denser heavy stuff more common this time of year. It is still snowing heavily.

Those of you in the region who ski or were planning on a northern new england ski trip this coming weekend.... the conditions should be just fabulous.
Old 03-15-2017, 09:05 AM

This describes our last few days:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 17309188_1300141060074495_1700432499809339837_n.jpg (32.4 KB, 80 views)
Old 03-15-2017, 09:09 AM

My truck this morning.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170315_102145.jpg (21.7 KB, 75 views)
Old 03-15-2017, 09:17 AM

I have more than 2 feet in southern Saratoga Co. My wife got ahead of the storm and drove to Stowe early yesterday morning. I'm stuck working for most of the day, and then shoveling and running the snow blower. Maybe I'll get out on my Nordic skis later.
Old 03-15-2017, 09:40 AM

rt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNY rider View Post
A Subaru with good snows is an absolute beast in the snow.
^ That they are. We've had a much higher than average snow fall in NW Montana as well. My Subaru will have claw marks when I have to part with it. They have their downfalls too, (parts can be expensive, and you have to check fluid levels frequently), but they can make Winter in Montana much more "do-able"

Last edited by MRB; 03-15-2017 at 09:43 AM. Reason: rt. paren