Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-07-2017, 08:04 AM

Heart Rate Variability

I was going to add this to the other HR thread but figured it might be its own topic for the data nerds.

Heart Rate Variability
https://elitehrv.com/what-is-heart-rate-variability/

(there are several apps that will measure/track it, but you need a HR strap that provides all the data - I was using a tacx tickr)

I did it every day during three, 4 week training cycles, and it was pretty interesting. It definitely correlated to back-to-back hard interval days, and epic 10 hour days indicating recovery required. I did not get sick during the period, but did pull a muscle and it snapped to "high stress" indicator.

Mostly it told me what I already knew (ie, if I felt cooked, I was cooked!) - but pretty spooky to see objective data on it. Occasionally it did provide extra motivation for hard intervals when I mentally wasn't in it, but the HRV number said I could handle it.

(note it does require a fair amount of time to get a reading.. you need to let your resting heart rate settle back down to baseline, which for me takes ~6-7 minutes, then 2-3 minutes for the test itself. Consistency of conditions is absolutely key, body position, breathing rate, etc.)
Old 03-07-2017, 08:21 AM

I have a whoop which is basic a HRV wearable. For cycling I think power and HR can get you what you need better, that is maximizing you training without overtraining. I what I find amazing is how sleep and business travel affect your recovery or HVR. Business travel destroys me.

Check out whoop itll tell things your body doesnt. But again training with power and a HRM is probably better for a cyclist.

Forgot drinking also destroys your HRV.

Last edited by joosttx; 03-07-2017 at 08:23 AM.
Old 03-07-2017, 08:32 AM

My girlfriend is an ultra runner and uses it and has found it revealing. I'm interested but don't have an Android compatible sensor. Like Joosttx said though, I have power and hr on the bike so I have another metric to monitor freshness and fatigue.
Old 03-07-2017, 09:32 AM

Curious if you used waking HR to measure your recovery? That was a most useful tool to plan the days adventure!
Old 03-07-2017, 09:52 AM

Interesting. I've been getting more into data over the past few years, esp re my health. Will have to tinker with this.

Have been looking at HR data in Strava and using the Stravistix plugin for additional data more after races/rides/runs as it's pretty interesting.

Last edited by EPIC! Stratton; 03-07-2017 at 09:55 AM.
Old 03-07-2017, 10:23 AM

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplemind View Post
Curious if you used waking HR to measure your recovery? That was a most useful tool to plan the days adventure!
Yes, higher than normal RHR indicates stress. HRV is a better indicator.