Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-04-2017, 06:30 PM

Recommend a Rim for Me

I want a classic looking wheel set that I can road race on.

I really like the polished H + Son TB14's, but the lowest spoke count they're available in is 28. That is more than I need (I think). 20 in the front and 24 in the back seems sufficient.

I want clinchers. I want noisly clickaty-clack hubs. The bike will look best with all silver wheels, otherwise I would go with Zipp 202 or Campy Hyperon.

What else is out there with a classic profile, wide width, and low spoke count?
Old 03-04-2017, 07:09 PM

You can go with Mavic or some other prebuilt wheel, but what ou're really after are handbuilts. BTW road racing makes no particular demands on wheels.
Old 03-04-2017, 07:13 PM

Rims

I'd go with either Rolf's (I think Elan or Vigor) or American Classic tend to have good wheels that likely fit the

Ray
Old 03-04-2017, 08:17 PM

Silver Ksyriums
Old 03-04-2017, 08:22 PM

Quote:
I want a classic looking wheel set that I can road race on. 20 [spokes] in the front and 24 in the back seems sufficient.
28 is sufficient. Forgive my being blunt, but fewer spokes than that isn't going to win you a race that you'd lose with the 28s. Use oval spokes if you're concerned about aerodynamics. And anyway, you want a classic look -- nobody who can be called "classic" rode 20/24, not even in a climbing time trial.

You will absolutely love the TB14s. Strong, comfortable, durable, easy to build/maintain, fit tires well... they check all the boxes.
Old 03-04-2017, 08:26 PM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by cachagua View Post
28 is sufficient. Forgive my being blunt, but fewer spokes than that isn't going to win you a race that you'd lose with the 28s. Use oval spokes if you're concerned about aerodynamics. And anyway, you want a classic look -- nobody who can be called "classic" rode 20/24, not even in a climbing time trial.

You will absolutely love the TB14s. Strong, comfortable, durable, easy to build/maintain, fit tires well... they check all the boxes.
This

I've got just that set: 28/32 TB14s. ...but mine are HA not silver.

Nice wheels in a classic kinda way.

M
Old 03-04-2017, 08:36 PM

H+son makes a polished Archetype.
Old 03-04-2017, 09:39 PM

The polished are not a 'classic' look and also don't come in 20 or 24 hole.
Old 03-04-2017, 09:55 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony T View Post
The polished are not a 'classic' look and also don't come in 20 or 24 hole.
+1

This is classic: Mavic Open Pro

$60 at Excel (28 holes)

https://www.excelsports.com/main.asp...jor=1&minor=25

Old 03-05-2017, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cachagua View Post

This.

I'd imagine more spokes would be preferable with low profile rim as the rime itself is likely to be less stiff than a deeper profile rim.
Old 03-05-2017, 09:47 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bling View Post
I want a classic looking wheel set that I can road race on.

I really like the polished H + Son TB14's, but the lowest spoke count they're available in is 28. That is more than I need (I think). 20 in the front and 24 in the back seems sufficient.

I want clinchers. I want noisly clickaty-clack hubs. The bike will look best with all silver wheels, otherwise I would go with Zipp 202 or Campy Hyperon.

What else is out there with a classic profile, wide width, and low spoke count?
Remember 4 spokes weigh about an ounce..28/28 would weigh 3 ounces more(12 spokes)..

When you are rolling, can't really tell spoke count and 20/24 'advantages' are teeny, tiny, with TB-14. IMHO.
Old 03-05-2017, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Remember 4 spokes weigh about an ounce..28/28 would weigh 3 ounces more(12 spokes)..

When you are rolling, can't really tell spoke count and 20/24 'advantages' are teeny, tiny, with TB-14. IMHO.
Thanks.

The 20 / 24 concept is more for a neo-classic appearance. I'm a bit of a weight weenie too. But mostly, I'm just trying to find the perfect blend for my bike.

I think it's gonna be TB14's at 28 front and rear. Maybe on a pair of Curtis Odom high flange hubs...
Old 03-05-2017, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Thanks.

The 20 / 24 concept is more for a neo-classic appearance. I'm a bit of a weight weenie too. But mostly, I'm just trying to find the perfect blend for my bike.

I think it's gonna be TB14's at 28 front and rear. Maybe on a pair of Curtis Odom high flange hubs...
One thing i can tell you is Odom high flange hubs are so badass. they spin for days and days
Old 03-05-2017, 11:05 AM
cmg

rim weight, rim weight, rim weight... lighter rim, use more spokes, heavier rim, less spokes. faster wheel, minimize weight at the rim. look at deepest, widest rim that is the lightest. for a rear; Stans 400, HED Belgium C2,
A23 OC, Pacenti Forza Rim (MSW) , for a front wheel
velocity Aerohead, stans 340, kinlin 200 if you are 180 lbs go 28 or more in the rear and your on your own on the front. i'm over 180 and have cracked a few 24 spoked fronts, don't do it. minizing rotating weight at the rim is the goal. light tire, light tube, minimum rim tape or spoke hole covers. flame on
Old 03-05-2017, 11:20 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Thanks.

Lace the rear 3 cross..2 cross front, inside pulling then.

NeoClassical?..Tubulars sir..Ambrosio Nemesis..