Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-04-2017, 06:52 AM
Tired Member

School me on campy record 10s ...

I'm a long time Shimano guy, but I recently purchased a frame that came with a low mileage Record 10s group. It's the most matchy-matchy bike I've seen. The original owner was OCD about the group.

My question is on that rear cassette. I have a 12-25 on the wheel now. Can I get something that's more like a 28 max cog with the rear derailleur?

The brifter shape is the old style. I'm guessing that those will last upwards of 10k miles. I think the bike must have about 300 miles on it now.

Maybe I should take this groupset off and put it in a campo-phile display case....
Old 03-04-2017, 07:07 AM

Yes you can run 28, just fix the screw a little bit to give that tad more room.

How much a shifter will last is due to use, if you shift each 5 seconds 6 months in a row (like some do) I assure you the springs will worn really quickly, so the longevity of the brifters depends a lot more of the habits of the rider more than in the ammount of KM you can get out of it. I have a set that havent change the springs yet and is like 10 years old if not more.

Same happens with the cogset and the rd, if you love to go 53x29 well that chain, cog set and rd wont last too long, as happens pretty much with any brand tho.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-04-2017, 07:17 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by tctyres View Post
I'm a long time Shimano guy, but I recently purchased a frame that came with a low mileage Record 10s group. It's the most matchy-matchy bike I've seen. The original owner was OCD about the group.

My question is on that rear cassette. I have a 12-25 on the wheel now. Can I get something that's more like a 28 max cog with the rear derailleur?

The brifter shape is the old style. I'm guessing that those will last upwards of 10k miles. I think the bike must have about 300 miles on it now.

Maybe I should take this groupset off and put it in a campo-phile display case....
Campagnolo 13-29 and 12-30, 10s cogsets are available, same rear der. Just make sure chain length is 'proper', enough chain, just for big-big combo.

If/when the levers get soft, loose their clicky-ness, they can be fixed, overhauled, and be like new-I do that service..BTW.
Old 03-04-2017, 07:24 AM

Quote:

OldPotatoe must be on vacation today, or helping with the grandkids...

Anyway, many (including myself) have run a 13-29 cassette with a short cage Record RD. Depends a bit on the length of the derailleur hanger, so no guarantees.

The ergos/brifters tend to go 10K (or more) before needing a rebuild. That's right... rebuild, not discard. As ultra pointed out, it depends on your riding style.

But, you know, if you really are accustomed to brand 'S' (good stuff, no doubt) and don't want to change, you could probably sell the gruppo for $700 or so, if it's in mint shape.

Last edited by thwart; 03-04-2017 at 07:25 AM. Reason: edit... he just slept in today...
Old 03-04-2017, 07:37 AM

I have a pair of daytona brifters that finnally need rebuilding after 14 yrs.
Old 03-04-2017, 07:40 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by colker View Post
I have a pair of daytona brifters that finnally need rebuilding after 14 yrs.
send them to me..$25 per lever plus parts..

pchisholm172$gmail.com
Old 03-04-2017, 07:59 AM

Hello i am still running my 10sp record daily since 2006 and love it. Could maybe use a renew too - there was a red version some time ago w stiffer springs anybody know if thats available for rebuild? Mine shifts just fine but a bit softer than used to i like nice crisp clicks...oldpotatoe?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
Old 03-04-2017, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
send them to me..$25 per lever plus parts..

pchisholm172$gmail.com
Will do.
Old 03-04-2017, 08:03 AM
Tired Member

Thanks guys. That's helpful. The thing I am not used to is the thumb button.

Will any campy cassette be OK or should I be looking only at record? Is there a sweet spot for price/performance?
Old 03-04-2017, 08:04 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermister View Post
Hello i am still running my 10sp record daily since 2006 and love it. Could maybe use a renew too - there was a red version some time ago w stiffer springs anybody know if thats available for rebuild? Mine shifts just fine but a bit softer than used to i like nice crisp clicks...oldpotatoe?

Those shift springs are gone, plus it used a metal spring carrier rather than a fiber one. The shift springs for DT/barend were of the 'stiff' variety but the RH DT/barend used the same springs as the LH ERGO lever. So...
Old 03-04-2017, 08:10 AM

Btw oldpotatoe how to tell what year model it is? Does it matter? I cant remember exactly. Would consider sending to you after this season probably...

Old 03-04-2017, 08:12 AM

Quote:

Will any campy cassette be OK or should I be looking only at record? Is there a sweet spot for price/performance?
Everything works at 10sp. It´s about how much you want to spend, only.
Old 03-04-2017, 08:13 AM

Record cassettes will def wear out faster than chorus and cost more but are lighter

Old 03-04-2017, 08:19 AM

Quote:

Record is a bit lighter as it uses titanium for the larger sprockets. The performance vs. all steel cogs wont be difference other than grams and Record will wear quicker if you spend much time in the ti sprockets.
Old 03-04-2017, 08:36 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermister View Post
Btw oldpotatoe how to tell what year model it is? Does it matter? I cant remember exactly. Would consider sending to you after this season probably...

Doesn't matter, I have small bits for all ERGO from 1992 thru 2016.