Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-03-2017, 09:15 AM

Great tire test article!

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/a...-tested-49101/
Old 03-03-2017, 09:19 AM
ZhugeLiang

interesting....ok, maybe I should give those schwalbe pro one tubeless tires mounted on the pacenti wheels a try again this weekend.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Clipboard01.jpg (44.7 KB, 428 views)
Old 03-03-2017, 09:24 AM

Pretty disappointed they didn't have the Corsa's in 25c.
Old 03-03-2017, 09:26 AM

I've used the Pro One Tubeless pretty extensively since it came out, in both 23mm and 25mm variants. They're great when the weather is dry, but, for me, I found they didn't handle as well as other top-end tires when it's wet out.
Old 03-03-2017, 09:45 AM

This test is also being discussed on the SlowTwitch forums:

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/Sl...bad__P6238886/

One point noted in the Slowtwitch discussion is that all test protocols will have some built in biases (either intentional or unintentional). In this case, the Wheel Energy test reported by BikeRadar has a bias toward tubeless tires, because of using (high-loss) butyl inner tubes in the standard clinchers instead of (low-loss) latex tubes. Tests of different inner tube types have shown that latex tubes can give a rolling resistance reduction of 3 - 4 Watts per pair of tires, which would put the standard clinchers in this test on par with the tubeless tires.
Old 03-03-2017, 10:12 AM

I haven't yet looked thoroughly into the wideness and size differences, but it looks I'll not only stick with the year round tires I use and love, Schwalbe Pro One Tubeless, but I won't switch to a 23 for race day.
Old 03-03-2017, 10:34 AM

How wide does a 28 Schwalbe Pro One tubeless actually measure on a wide rim...something with a 20-21 internal width?

Also, I would have liked to see how the Compass (Cayuse Pass) 26mm tire compared in the tire test. I doubt any test would change my fondness for narrow Compass tires, but I am curious how the data would shake out.

Instagram

Last edited by sparky33; 03-03-2017 at 10:38 AM.
Old 03-03-2017, 10:39 AM

Do you always have to use sealant with tubeless tires?
Old 03-03-2017, 10:53 AM

It would be great to see another test where he tests some everyday tires. I am not sure how many people can get away running a lot of those tires on every ride.
Old 03-03-2017, 10:54 AM

I'd like to see research on grip, for the purposes of Criterium racing. Also, what about wind tunnel testing and crossing the research between the drum test and the wind tunnel. My wide designed carbon wheel recommends a size 23mm tire for aerodynamics vs a 25mm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-03-2017, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tv_vt View Post
For true tubeless compatible rims and tires, you technically don't need to use sealant; for "tubeless ready" tires and/or rims, it generally is a requirement. In addition, you can use sealant inside an inner tube.
Old 03-03-2017, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tv_vt View Post
Technically you don't always have to but it makes a lot of sense to always use sealant with tubeless tires.
While many tubeless tires will hold air without sealant, having sealant in there makes punctures self-sealing... that convenience is one of the main benefits of running tubeless.

Instagram
Old 03-03-2017, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSCycling View Post
I'd like to see research on grip, for the purposes of Criterium racing. Also, what about wind tunnel testing and crossing the research between the drum test and the wind tunnel. My wide designed carbon wheel recommends a size 23mm tire for aerodynamics vs a 25mm.
Tire traction testing is actually a bit more problematic than rolling resistance testing, or even aero testing. To measure the traction limit on a given surface, you have to take the tire all that way up the point where it slips out - in other words, the point at which the bicycle falls. Automobiles do this on a skid pad, but automobiles don't fall over like bikes do when the tires skid out.

I am aware of two organizations that test the limits of tire traction - Michelin (tire manufacturer) and Tour (a German cycling magazine) - and these are done with special bicycles and riders wearing padded safety gear. Michelin keeps their test results private, but Tour periodically publishes tire test results.

(Note: Tire traction testing usually tests on wet pavement, because most high performance tires have more than adequate dry traction.)

Tire shape can have a larger affect on wheel aerodynamics, so for lowest aero drag, the tire should be matched to the wheel. However, the most aero tire isn't necessarily the one with the lowest rolling resistance, and it is the combined resistance (aero + rolling) that matters in the end. Unfortunately, it is costly and time consuming to try to test all possible combinations of wheels and tires. However Flo Cycling recently did a study to find the best tire for one of their aero wheels, taking into account both aero drag and rolling resistance:

http://flocycling.blogspot.com/2016/...ire-study.html
Old 03-03-2017, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiec View Post
It would be great to see another test where he tests some everyday tires. I am not sure how many people can get away running a lot of those tires on every ride.
I ran GP4ks2's all last year without a single flat and now I'm on Corsa G+'s.

Granted, there's not a "real" winter down here, but still.
Old 03-03-2017, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
To measure the traction limit on a given surface, you have to take the tire all that way up the point where it slips out - in other words, the point at which the bicycle falls. Automobiles do this on a skid pad, but automobiles don't fall over like bikes do when the tires skid out.
You mean something like this? My all-time favorite cornering photo:

Jobst Brandt was the man! Good Luck!