Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-06-2017, 05:27 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by zennmotion View Post
If you're running a 5800 group, then a 9100 FD is kind of a budget buster. I had the same issue with 5800 FD, though it was because I was using fat 32mm tires. A Shimano CX70 FD works just fine with a shorter arm (with my compact 34/50t rings, YMMV with larger rings, but I bet it would work fine with a 39/53) at a fraction of the cost of 9100. It requires a relatively high cable tension, but once set it works great. Pro tip for setup-
1) Set your small ring limit screw first.
2) Then screw your FD cable barrel adjuster in (clockwise) all the way
3) Pull your cable as tight as you can when adjusting for the small ring, if it's not tight, the FD won't carry over far enough when you shift to the big ring. I use an old school fourth hand tool to grab the cable or you can use pliers to pull it tight (careful not to damage the cable!).
4) tighten the pinch bolt,
5) back the barrel adjuster out a turn or two to tighten any slack out of the cable, sort of like tuning a guitar string.
6) Shift to the big ring, adjust the big ring outside limit screw

I've rarely used barrel adjusters with FD cables before, but the difficulty with Shimano 11speed (at least with the CX70FD that has a shorter arm than 5800) is getting the cable tight enough, any slack and you'll have difficulty getting the derailleur cage to shift over far enough in the big ring. If you're using a CX70 FD (or other FD with a shorter arm, a Shimano 9/10sp FD might work as well), taking the slack out with the barrel adjuster makes setup and proper adjustment much easier.
W/o a barrel adjuster, you can also adjust the front der inner limit screw so the chain drags on the inner cage just a wee bit(small ring-biggest cog-lowest gear), pull cable TIGHT(4th hand?), then turn the inner limit screw out a wee bit, moves the der in a wee bit and further tightens the cable. Essential on Campag front der setup also.
Old 03-06-2017, 05:45 AM

OK, it should be asked----I wonder if an inexpensive low end 10sp campy FD would work even better than a CX70 in this case? It's really about the cable pull.
Old 03-06-2017, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zennmotion View Post
OK, it should be asked----I wonder if an inexpensive low end 10sp campy FD would work even better than a CX70 in this case? It's really about the cable pull.
or a Sram yaw FD?