Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-03-2017, 05:18 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by p nut View Post
NAHBS is coming to my city in March. Never been to one before, so thought I'd head up for a day. I'm sure I'll be doing a lot of ogling. But the ticket prices.... $22/day?? Bit steep, no? Then $8 per kid? Guess I'll be going solo, if at all.

For those that have gone, was the experience worth it? I know it's all subjective, but just curious.
I went to the one in Portland. Is it worth it? Yes. Doubt I'll go to another one unless it's in Denver/Boulder but 'worth it' for $22..

C'mon, take yer kid..$8..that's burger/fries and soda.
Old 02-03-2017, 06:35 AM
Riding Along

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdmtong View Post
i recommend you skip the show.

Then, the next time you decide you really want to go, take a day off of work so you can fly in friday to wherever the show is. Arrive friday and see the show for a half day. Get a hotel for friday and saturday night so you can go all day saturday with the huge crowd. Now fly home sunday and don't forget you now owe your wife for taking care of the kids for 3 days and spending $750-1000+.

or, stick a crowbar in your wallet and pry out $22.

i've been to three nahbs (san jose #3 and the two sacramento). It never gets old. Out here we have sea otter every year. It never gets old. You like bikes? It's in your home town? Don't miss out.

Hot tips:
- if you can take off work, go on friday.
- bring a backpack with some food and water (convention food is $$ and terrible)
- bring cash for schwag. $200 is enough. $40 in king cages for you and your friends. $40 for a tee, socks, pint glass. Now you have $120 left to bring home and feel good about not spending it all. That is unless you go by abbey tools and buy a crombie sl etc.
- buy your ticket in advance so you don't stand in a frustrating line
- bring a camera but dont try to take a picture of everything. There are people with better cameras a flickr sites for that.
- make a list of who you really want to see so you can keep track. Nahbs creates add even for people who are not add
- once you have done five laps leave. You are done.
This made my morning.
Old 02-03-2017, 06:36 AM
Serotta Red

Location: Leawood, KS- It is in Kansas City, July west tisbury October tucson
Set up a go fund me campaign

Or work some ot💰
Quote:
I recommend you skip the show.

Then, the next time you decide you really want to go, take a day off of work so you can fly in Friday to wherever the show is. Arrive Friday and see the show for a half day. Get a hotel for Friday and Saturday night so you can go all day Saturday with the huge crowd. Now fly home Sunday and don't forget you now owe your wife for taking care of the kids for 3 days and spending $750-1000+.

Or, stick a crowbar in your wallet and pry out $22.

I've been to three NAHBS (san jose #3 and the two Sacramento). It never gets old. Out here we have Sea Otter every year. It never gets old. You like bikes? It's in your home town? Don't miss out.

Hot tips:
- if you can take off work, go on Friday.
- bring a backpack with some food and water (convention food is $$ and terrible)
- bring cash for schwag. $200 is enough. $40 in king cages for you and your friends. $40 for a tee, socks, pint glass. Now you have $120 left to bring home and feel good about not spending it all. that is unless you go by abbey tools and buy a crombie SL etc.
- bring a camera but dont try to take a picture of everything. there are people with better cameras a flickr sites for that.
- make a list of who you really want to see so you can keep track. NAHBS creates ADD even for people who are not ADD
- once you have done five laps leave. you are done.
SN# HC-54-265
Old 02-03-2017, 06:50 AM

If nahbs was within 3 states of me I'd be going, but alas I'm on the east coast. $22 for a great experience is a deal in terms of being able to see in person all the wonderful creations and future components. I'd rather spend a little on life experience than objects these days. If your children are as into bikes as you then bring them too. You are only here for a finite amount of time so spend it wisely
Old 02-03-2017, 06:58 AM
Vendor

My tickets cost me $3000.
Old 02-03-2017, 07:02 AM
Administrator

as paul said - if it's in your city, you have to go.

if you're on a tight budget, by all means skip the t-shirt, but go see the bikes and meet the people who create them, and all the cool stuff.
Old 02-03-2017, 08:25 AM

When NAHBS was in Austin, I signed up as a volunteer. Easy duty for a few hours, then free to roam the show for free - plus I have a "CREW" t-shirt as a souvenir...
Old 02-03-2017, 08:27 AM
ZhugeLiang

Quote:
Originally Posted by austex View Post
When NAHBS was in Austin, I signed up as a volunteer. Easy duty for a few hours, then free to roam the show for free - plus I have a "CREW" t-shirt as a souvenir...
When NAHBS was in Austin, I was in Australia...

I hope they will come back some day...
Old 02-03-2017, 08:38 AM
Vendor

I was talking to someone in the know and they said they might be heading to Chicago soon ;-)
Old 02-03-2017, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisan View Post
When NAHBS was in Austin, I was in Australia...

I hope they will come back some day...
When NAHBS was in Louisville I couldn't make it. Sonofa. . .
Old 02-03-2017, 09:03 AM

what he said...

friday is the day to go if you really want to chat with builders. sat is the day to get a feel for the vibe and have a second or third or fourth.. looksey at your faves

agree.. if it's in your town.. go. i just looked at prices and don't want to spend $$ on flight and hotel so will live vicariously thru those flickr sites.

GO

Quote:
I recommend you skip the show.

Then, the next time you decide you really want to go, take a day off of work so you can fly in Friday to wherever the show is. Arrive Friday and see the show for a half day. Get a hotel for Friday and Saturday night so you can go all day Saturday with the huge crowd. Now fly home Sunday and don't forget you now owe your wife for taking care of the kids for 3 days and spending $750-1000+.

Or, stick a crowbar in your wallet and pry out $22.

I've been to three NAHBS (san jose #3 and the two Sacramento). It never gets old. Out here we have Sea Otter every year. It never gets old. You like bikes? It's in your home town? Don't miss out.

Hot tips:
- if you can take off work, go on Friday.
- bring cash for schwag. $200 is enough. $40 in king cages for you and your friends. $40 for a tee, socks, pint glass. Now you have $120 left to bring home and feel good about not spending it all. that is unless you go by abbey tools and buy a crombie SL etc.
- bring a camera but dont try to take a picture of everything. there are people with better cameras a flickr sites for that.
- make a list of who you really want to see so you can keep track. NAHBS creates ADD even for people who are not ADD
- once you have done five laps leave. you are done.
Old 02-03-2017, 09:28 AM
It An't Me Babe

Don't fret about the 22 bucks. These days, isn't a movie ticket $15?

BTW, the remark about $22 brought to mind that in an increasingly cashless society, it is easy to loose track of exactly how much something costs - you swipe/chip insert a credit card for everything down to the smallest purchase; you swipe a MetroCard at the turnstile or the bus change box to ride mass transit; you swipe a credit card at the pump to gas up your car. After a while, all you know is to pay the CC bill at the end of the month and to add money balance to the MetroCard so you can continue to ride the subway.

The money comes in, the money goes out all the while the transaction amounts fade to nothing. Wax on, wax off.

NAHBS is a great experience for any bike aficionados. I went only one time for the expressed pilgrimage to meet Dario Pegoretti. I wrote about NAHBS in this:

Commentary on NAHBS 2014 - Aspired to Gagosian and Settled for Interbike-lite

You gotta go. If at all possible, also go to the Paceline dinner that happens during the weekend - good bunch of blokes those Paceline guys 'n gals.
Old 02-03-2017, 09:50 AM

If anyone is in the area I would highly recommend heading over to the show. You'll forget about the $22 two minutes after you walk through the door.

I'm often asked when is the best time to go and I say it depends...if you want quiet time to talk with builders and actively shop then Friday is the day. The builders will be fresh and will not have lost their voices yet and you can really learn a lot. The downside of Friday is the same as the upside. It can be slow and have a low energy feel to it and this can be a turnoff for some.

Saturday is the big day. It will be crowded and loud and usually has a party high energy atmosphere. If you thrive on this kind of thing it's really fun. The downside is that it can be hard to get close enough to see stuff and equally hard to have a deep conversation with the builder.

Sunday is my favorite day. It's not as busy as Saturday but more so than Friday. The energy is good and people are relaxed. You can get close to the work and talk to the builder. Good stuff. The downside is that some builders will be very tired. They will have been at it full time since Thursday morning. Usually I have, for the most part, lost my voice by Sunday afternoon. Some guys are thinking about packing up and going home and can be less attentive. All that said I like the feel of Sunday.

Of course if you can spare two days it's worth it.

Paceline Dinner - going back to the time when this place was the Serotta Forum we had a group dinner in Saturday night. Typically a local will pick a restaurant within walking distance and we all walk from the show to the eatery together and have some good food, beer, and conversation. It's always a highlight for me. We usually have a few builders and industry folks join us and it's really fun to put a real name and face to the online screen name of forum folks. So if you all would like to have a get together I'd love to be part of it.

dave
Old 02-03-2017, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austex View Post
I did the same in Indy.

Either way, the $22 will be well worth it. Enjoy the show!
Old 02-03-2017, 01:11 PM
v a n i l l a

I will pile on to my own thoughts a bit more.

You are into bikes. that's why you are here on PL. There are only a handful of times a year something of this scale gets offered - NAHBS, Sea Otter, Interbike, and maybe Philly. This will probably be the one and only time in SLC. I drove two hours to see it in Sacramento. Like Dave says, you'll forget about the money the first two minutes.

As for the money. I get you may be lamenting the cost more philosophically than practically since I am sure you can find $22 for something you really want to do. For something like this I would actually expect a price of $30-40. I also get the family multiplier. Disneyland is cheap for one. Not so cheap for four. Once I went to a private (75 people) meet and greet with saxo bank team sponsored by specialized at the LBS. It was $75. I paused, I thought about it. $75! then I thought, well, it's not like it is $250. it's $75. I never think about the money when I look at the signed picture of Spartacus I have racing the time trial in the Amgen Tour of California right in front of my LBS. what would you pay to hang out with jens (year after his faceplant crash), julich, andy schleck (just a month before chain gate, his star still rising), jacob fulgulsang, and fabian (a month after he "motored" away from boonen to win P-R).

I was serious about making a short list of builders and vendors not to miss. I'm not talking about mapping out the shortest path with time estimates. I am just saying you dont want to leave and as soon as you are out the door remember you forgot to talk to xyz.

And do try to go on Friday. Less folks. It's a delicate etiquette talking to a builder in a group - ask your questions and be mindful others want to ask theirs. As advice offered to me - it really is more of a chance to get to know a builder's personality than to discuss the nuance of how they are going to design your flat mount disc attachment so it wont interfere with your rohloff and lighting needs. even if you arent ready to order a custom...go.

The one thing I lament about Sacramento #1 was missing the PL dinner with Dave. So, since you are local I nominate you to lead the PL dinner effort.