Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-23-2017, 08:47 PM

Looking for forum members' input (bike fit data)

Hey all,

I have been collecting published data on pro bike fit measurements for a while now. Some of you may have already seen the thread in the "Bike Fit" subforum (titled "Ok, how far off are you in this table?"), in which the chart summarizing the data is shown. Here is a link to my blog post, which has some additional data / most up-to-date charts as well:

http://ft-atalay.blogspot.com/2012/03/pro-bike-fit.html

Anyways, one of the ideas that came out of that discussion was to gather similar data for the forum members on here. I think it would be interesting for comparison purposes, and it might also generate some useful data/trends. Here is a link to a Google spreadsheet that I put together, where you can enter the data. I went ahead and entered my own information as an example.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Look forward to seeing what might come out of this. If you don't have all the measurements, that is fine; just enter what you know. Suggestions on additional data points which you think might be useful are also welcome.

Last edited by fa63; 01-23-2017 at 10:25 PM.
Old 01-23-2017, 08:53 PM
extremely tall

FYI the spreadsheet is view only as currently set
Old 01-23-2017, 08:55 PM

Oops, try now. And thanks for the heads up!
Old 01-23-2017, 09:08 PM

I entered my info.
Old 01-24-2017, 07:36 AM

Thanks to everyone who put in their information so far. I also went ahead and added a chart to summarize the data as it comes in.

I will go ahead and share this on other forums I am a member of as well, to generate some additional data points. I think it would be neat to have a database where one can go to find riders of similar proportions, and see how their fit compares to theirs.

Cheers.
Old 01-24-2017, 07:48 AM

I will get this done.
Old 01-24-2017, 07:49 AM

Very cool chart. Already starting to see the difference between "pro rider" type fits and what "non-pros" are using. On your initial chart plotting pro rider numbers, my reach was *way* shorter relative to what others with my height were running. After the first few submissions, I can see that I'm not running much less reach than what similar built riders are running. Very interesting. Will put my own numbers in later.
Old 01-24-2017, 08:31 AM

Done

But why are we using saddle tip as a reference point for anything? Seems like a poor data point to me.
Old 01-24-2017, 08:36 AM

I'm putting in normalized numbers, i.e. off my SLR saddle. It helps that I had a Guru fit with the SLR so the dimensions measured by Guru are super accurate, although I don't know my exact inseam or saddle-pedal distance (I have to measure).

I've since moved to an ISM saddle.

Should I put both? The ISM saddle is wacky but if you have an "offset" based on the ISM model (different ISM models have different effective sit positions) that would normalize the numbers.
Old 01-24-2017, 08:37 AM

I agree it is not the best reference point (though it is useful because it is easy to measure from there), as it can change depending on saddle. That is one reason I asked for the saddle type, to try to correct for some of that. I might add another column asking for the measurement from the widest part of the saddle.
Old 01-24-2017, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpediemracing View Post
I'm putting in normalized numbers, i.e. off my SLR saddle. It helps that I had a Guru fit with the SLR so the dimensions measured by Guru are super accurate, although I don't know my exact inseam or saddle-pedal distance (I have to measure).

I've since moved to an ISM saddle.

Should I put both? The ISM saddle is wacky but if you have an "offset" based on the ISM model (different ISM models have different effective sit positions) that would normalize the numbers.
Please put in both. That way, I can try to see if my normalization scheme based on saddle type works.
Old 01-24-2017, 08:48 AM

Put myself in.. I am way below the reach line as expected. Right on the saddle height line. I might be able to extend my reach as things are working pretty well in my current fit but no way could I extend it to the point I was on the reach line, that would be extending my reach close to 6cm, no way in hell that is going to happen, I've already had way too many shoulder/upper back issues from stretching out more.
Old 01-25-2017, 08:50 AM

benb - you will notice you are not the only "reach-challenged" person on the list. There is another person @ 185 cm with a reach not too far from yours (although it is interesting to note that entry ranked themselves as being short-legs/long torso).

We are up to 26 entries now. I was hoping to get at least 100; more would be even better.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed so far.
Old 01-25-2017, 08:59 AM

Curious if you could make a chart for bar drop?
Old 01-25-2017, 09:14 AM

Done; see Chart 3. As I expected, there is really no good correlation there.