Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-22-2017, 07:22 PM

V-brake woes

I put some V-brakes on my commuter bike last year and I have noticed that the arms on the front have a little movement when the brakes are applied.

If I hold the front brake on and rock it back and forth it feels like my headset is loose but it is the brake.

Is this perhaps just a low end Shimano brake attribute or maybe and install problem?
Old 01-22-2017, 07:46 PM

Washers?

Im not super famliar with that system because ive worked in those no more than 5 times all my life but by best guess is that the arms are weak, the arms have play?? if they have play you can put washers in there so they get tighter?? If the studs arent deep enough and you are putting long bolts the arms are going to have some play and maybe thats your problem, take one of the bolts out, measure it and them measure how deep the stuff is, check out the difference and shim with a washer if needed.

The other thing is that ive seen like plates to make those brakes to be stiffers, is like a large horse shoe, that will stiffen the whole brake caliper, how well they work no idea never used one.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by ultraman6970; 01-22-2017 at 07:51 PM.
Old 01-22-2017, 07:49 PM

I probably don't know enough to comment, but I'd guess it could be either one. Shimano is generally pretty good quality. I'm running Pauls on my bike (minimotos) and they have been rock solid. I had avid canti's on an earlier bike and you could get the rocking action you are describing. I think the tolerances on both the shafts and the brakes have to be pretty good to make things work right.
Old 01-22-2017, 07:54 PM

I am running Paul Moto Lites on my commuter (with Genevalle CX Long Pull velers) and love them.

Better than disc brakes in my opinion.

https://paulcomp.com/shop/components/motolite/
Old 01-22-2017, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraman6970 View Post
Washers?

Im not super famliar with that system because ive worked in those no more than 5 times all my life but by best guess is that the arms are weak, the arms have play?? if they have play you can put washers in there so they get tighter?? If the studs arent deep enough and you are putting long bolts the arms are going to have some play and maybe thats your problem, take one of the bolts out, measure it and them measure how deep the stuff is, check out the difference and shim with a washer if needed.

The other thing is that ive seen like plates to make those brakes to be stiffers, is like a large horse shoe, that will stiffen the whole brake caliper, how well they work no idea never used one.

Hope this helps.
Thanks, this gives me some things to look at.
Old 01-22-2017, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik_A View Post
I am running Paul Moto Lites on my commuter (with Genevalle CX Long Pull velers) and love them.

Better than disc brakes in my opinion.

https://paulcomp.com/shop/components/motolite/
Yeah those would be nice but this bike is not worth those stoppers.
Old 01-22-2017, 09:31 PM

Does the brake have a parallel push mechanism or are the pads connected to the arms? If parallel push shimano made washer kits to shim them tight. If the armscheck brake stud length and shim there.
Old 01-23-2017, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdonk View Post
Does the brake have a parallel push mechanism or are the pads connected to the arms? If parallel push shimano made washer kits to shim them tight. If the armscheck brake stud length and shim there.
These are not PP. They are very basic.

http://www.jensonusa.com/Shimano-BR-...Brake?cs=Black
Old 01-23-2017, 06:00 AM
Wspinacz

All I can offer is that between the low end Avids we have, the XTRs from years before, and the CX8.4s I just pulled from my cross bike, none have either developed the play you're describing.
Old 01-23-2017, 06:12 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenmarklay View Post
I put some V-brakes on my commuter bike last year and I have noticed that the arms on the front have a little movement when the brakes are applied.

If I hold the front brake on and rock it back and forth it feels like my headset is loose but it is the brake.

Is this perhaps just a low end Shimano brake attribute or maybe and install problem?
Pretty common with variable length canti/vbrake posts on forks/frames and the 'width' of the brake arms where they mount. Is it an issue? Shudder or something? You can try to shim the post under the brake arm but it may then drag..close and not open.
Old 01-23-2017, 08:25 AM

Hmmm what about the spring load thing??? if he puts that in the wrong hole the levers will have no power and will be like lose aswell.
Old 01-23-2017, 08:51 AM
Wspinacz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraman6970 View Post
Hmmm what about the spring load thing??? if he puts that in the wrong hole the levers will have no power and will be like lose aswell.
Spring position should not influence the fore-aft play he described.
Old 01-23-2017, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Pretty common with variable length canti/vbrake posts on forks/frames and the 'width' of the brake arms where they mount. Is it an issue? Shudder or something? You can try to shim the post under the brake arm but it may then drag..close and not open.
Thanks. It does not cause huge problems but feels a bit grabby and cheap.

It actually seems like the canti post diameter is smaller than the v-brake hole.
Old 01-23-2017, 09:57 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenmarklay View Post
Thanks. It does not cause huge problems but feels a bit grabby and cheap.

It actually seems like the canti post diameter is smaller than the v-brake hole.
It is or the brake arm wouldn't move. I'd make sure the pads are hitting the rims flat, up and down, then toe(fore-act) a wee bit. But less $, less precision.