Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-24-2016, 01:07 AM

There are numerous reports of shoddy workmanship from this builder doing the rounds in Belgium and Holland.
Old 11-24-2016, 05:32 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by yashcha View Post
Just received a custom frame and noticed that the wheel is off center between the seatstays but centered between the chainstays. Is this an acceptable amount of error and should not affect ride quality? I think it is about 1.5-2mm to the left. The wheel is new and is properly dished. Using an alignment tool the dropouts appear to be aligned. Thanks all!
Custom frame, no, not at all, IMHO. If this is 'off', what else is 'off'?

And what David Kirk said...
Old 11-24-2016, 06:59 AM

A fair question, who's the builder?

I was talking with the owner of veloclasique long itme ago and we kind'a agree... the best builders and painters looks like are here in the states, then you have to add the australians and the japanese ones and put them in the same bag. In south america nobody builds anymore unless there's a new generation coming up but I really dont know. Europe always been kind'a hit and miss IMO, you have good ones like somec for example and the sloppy ones, but what I found is that sometimes the unknown brand frames are well better finish than many of the branded ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackers View Post
There are numerous reports of shoddy workmanship from this builder doing the rounds in Belgium and Holland.

Last edited by ultraman6970; 11-24-2016 at 07:05 AM.
Old 11-24-2016, 07:06 AM
Lanterne rouge

I bet this wouldent be an issue with a frame like this. https://www.overstock.com/Sports-Toy...3/product.html

I wouldnt accept that from a custom, no way, no how.
Old 11-24-2016, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraman6970 View Post
A fair question, who's the builder?

I was talking with the owner of veloclasique long itme ago and we kind'a agree... the best builders and painters looks like are here in the states, then you have to add the australians and the japanese ones and put them in the same bag. In south america nobody builds anymore unless there's a new generation coming up but I really dont know. Europe always been kind'a hit and miss IMO, you have good ones like somec for example and the sloppy ones, but what I found is that sometimes the unknown brand frames are well better finish than many of the branded ones.
Hey ultraman6970- clear your In Box; message incoming.
Old 11-24-2016, 07:28 AM
Yours truly

Believe it or not this unintended seatstay asymmetric issue is quite common, as I have seen a few of my personal custom frames made by some known US builders having this problem. Some are better than others, depending on how picky you are and how good can you measure. I wouldn't be pleased with any frame, custom or not having this issue, as I have OCD. With that said, assuming the frame was properly constructed, this problem should be purely cosmetics.
Old 11-24-2016, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zank View Post
Yash, bring it to my place.
Yashcha; there's a generous offer from a trusted and seasoned builder you can't refuse. Ship it to Mike and at least he can identify what's off and where. It'll be worth the money.

http://cycling.zanconato.com/
Old 11-24-2016, 07:41 AM

This sucks! Sorry to hear you're having this issue. My first and second frames I built are a little off in the same way. I always attributed it to the fact that I built without a jig and that my dropouts weren't perfectly inline before brazing the seat stays in.

Then my latest build, I checked the rear wheel alignment from every way possible (with what I have) and it looked great! Then when I got it back from powder coat the rear wheel wouldn't even go into the dropouts. Ha! The powder coat was almost 1mm thick inside the dropouts! Nothing like filing out the paint (powder) on a freshly coated frame!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Old 11-24-2016, 08:45 AM

Thanks everyone! Still haven't heard from the builder, which is Jaegher from Belgium. No need to be secretive as this is not meant to be a internet bash of the company. A good friend of mine rode a Jaegher in Beijing and he had a very good experience with them and convinced me that they would be a good choice for my 40th birthday present.

They had a lot of magazine reviews and won euro builder awards so I assumed that the ordering process and the final product should be high quality, considering the price. The euro was at a low so I went for it after some initial emails.

I will wait for them to respond, but my main hope is that they will take the frame back and offer a full refund. This is their second attempt at making this frame and both have had significant problems. I am expecting a pretty big battle in getting a refund though and I fear they will try to fix it and return it to me 8 months later.

Mike Z, I will come by and see you either way because I still owe you an extra large milkshake.
Old 11-24-2016, 08:56 AM
Vendor

Don't tease me.
Old 11-24-2016, 09:04 AM
Administrator

i get the angst, but if you really do like the frame - just have mike z put it in the frame jig and straighten it out. the problem doesnt look too severe to me, and once its confirmed straight, you'll have a nice frame with a story behind it.

i wouldnt waste any more time arguing with the builder.
Old 11-24-2016, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zank View Post
Don't tease me.
Do you remember that time you ordred a large milkshake thinking I would order one too but instead I got a diet coke?
Old 11-24-2016, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
i get the angst, but if you really do like the frame - just have mike z put it in the frame jig and straighten it out. the problem doesnt look too severe to me, and once its confirmed straight, you'll have a nice frame with a story behind it.

i wouldnt waste any more time arguing with the builder.
Something like this can be fixed without rewelding? Then I would definitely go that route.
Old 11-24-2016, 09:11 AM

Man, this sounds like no fun.

The idea of waiting so long and not getting a perfect frame would drive me crazy.

I hope things work out and thank you for mentioning the builder.
Old 11-24-2016, 09:14 AM
Vendor

Yes. The milkshake ordeal was so uncool, but very delicious.

It could be entirely cosmetic. Seat stays are coped on angle and on an offset (to give them their "wrap" around the seat tube). I have seen many many many frames that have one seat stay with a "deeper" offset. The seat stay then falls closer to the centerline of the frame compared to the other seat stay. So while the stay is closer to the tire, the wheel is perfectly in line with the steering axis in the vertical direction. That is what we will check.