Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-27-2016, 08:19 PM
Adam/SerottaFan

There are prompts on eBay and PayPal for items that weren't delivered. That's your first step.

Last edited by 93legendti; 03-27-2016 at 09:58 PM.
Old 03-27-2016, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93legendti View Post
Their are prompts on eBay and PayPal for items that weren't delivered. That's your first step.
I would say the first step is to contact the carrier (UPS? USPS?) and inform them of the situation. Twice in the past 12 months my USPS carrier has misplaced a package and I've been lucky that both were found.
Old 03-27-2016, 09:14 PM

thanks all for the helpful responses. i was hoping that it might be the case that it got marked as delivered by mistake or something. i am going to go to USPS first thing tomorrow and see what happened. another weird thing is that most packages usually get delivered later in the day than when the tracking update said.

again, thanks for all the help.
Old 03-27-2016, 09:34 PM

Did you call the police?
Any security cameras?
Old 03-27-2016, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicycletricycle View Post
I get everything delivered to my job for this reason.

I don't think the seller or usps will be responsible for this.

You'll have to take it on the chin.
No, that is not necessarily so. Just happened to me. USPS said the delivered it to my mailbox. I never got it. Called the seller, who said call the PO because they delivered it. I told him he contracted with the PO to deliver, not me. Did call them, they started an inquiry. Never heard a thing.
Re-contacted the seller, who again said not his problem. Contacted Ebay, who offered a money back guarantee (that I knew nothing about). Filed a claim, was rejected, appealed, was reversed, got a refund.
Here's the thing: You don't KNOW they were stolen, only that you didn't get them. Maybe they were delivered a block away, or to 9019 instead of 1909. They still show delivered, either way.
Contact Ebay. Can't hurt.
Old 03-27-2016, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatty View Post
Did you call the police?
Any security cameras?
not yet. may call tomorrow.
Old 03-27-2016, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by makoti View Post
No, that is not necessarily so. Just happened to me. USPS said the delivered it to my mailbox. I never got it. Called the seller, who said call the PO because they delivered it. I told him he contracted with the PO to deliver, not me. Did call them, they started an inquiry. Never heard a thing.
Re-contacted the seller, who again said not his problem. Contacted Ebay, who offered a money back guarantee (that I knew nothing about). Filed a claim, was rejected, appealed, was reversed, got a refund.
Here's the thing: You don't KNOW they were stolen, only that you didn't get them. Maybe they were delivered a block away, or to 9019 instead of 1909. They still show delivered, either way.
Contact Ebay. Can't hurt.
this is what I will do if they don't come in the next day or so. you're right, could have gone to the wrong place.
Old 03-28-2016, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamhell View Post
this is what I will do if they don't come in the next day or so. you're right, could have gone to the wrong place.
Go to your delivering post office and file a complaint. They should contact the carrier for your mail and try to track down what happened and if the carrier recalls delivering the package.
Old 03-28-2016, 05:43 AM

A distinctive size box is often remembered by the carrier. My guess is that it ended up in someone else's mail and you are at the mercy of your neighbors to either bring it to you or return it to the USPS system. There are some frame builders who say that their responsibility ends when they put the new frame "on-board". Their argument is that they are acting as your agent to ship, but the shipping is your responsibility. Personally, I believe it is the responsibility of the seller until delivery, unless the buyer does something that negates that, like go out of town for a week the day the item is delivered on their porch. With tracking of all packages now by USPS, it is going to become more prevalent to see mistakes.
Old 03-28-2016, 09:30 AM

edit

Quote:
another weird thing is that most packages usually get delivered later in the day than when the tracking update said.

again, thanks for all the help.
Not unusual for us to get larger packages delivered in the morning and regular mail in the early evening.
Old 03-28-2016, 09:35 AM

IME It is really rare than the mail man/woman in your are misplaced a box, they know everybody but it happened to us with a couple of letters when the replacement mail guy took over because the regular one was in vacation or sick. But with boxes usually they remember quite well.

With UPS and fedex it happened to me that a whole down hill bike that was shipped in 3 boxes was showing up as delivered and the boxes were not here at all. The driver dropped the boxes in another house because the last names sounded similar (to him) eventhought the guy was african lastnames looks like sounded like coming from the same place to the driver maybe because he was in a hurry and just drop them there w/o verifying the house numbers. Found the boxes while walking the street at 8pm, was scary because was a bike for a friend... it never happened again, we call the currier to let them know.

OP ask around if you know your neighbors.
Old 03-28-2016, 11:01 AM

this has unfortunately happened to me twice. Luckily it was items from Amazon, and Amazon sent a prompt replacement.

I am not sure (if shipped from a private party) what the deal would be...

best of luck
Old 03-28-2016, 11:14 AM

I was away last year and my wife thought we never got some winter pants delivered. They were between the storm door and front door for a few weeks, a door we never use and has never gotten mail left at.
Old 03-28-2016, 12:27 PM

Calling the police

Quote:
not yet. may call tomorrow.
Don't bother. If it was delivered by USPS then you need to contact a Postal Inspector. Mail theft = Federal.

Last Dec, my street was targeted by a package thief(s). Not sure if these guys are pros or the cats who live by the Arroyo encampments. In any case, they're only looking for small, high value items, eg, phones and jewelry. Here's the kicker, they only take the contents and ditch the package on the sidewalk. In some cases, a block away in others right in front of the residence. I've found 6 boxes. The boxes which were opened and ignored contained cat toys, herbal tea, fat loss creams. The boxes which lost their contents contained an iPhone, Chanel perfume and a gourmet-to-your-door prepared dinner (they left the dry ice).
Old 03-28-2016, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeatnik View Post
Don't bother. If it was delivered by USPS then you need to contact a Postal Inspector. Mail theft = Federal.
First he has to find out that it was, in fact, delivered to the proper address, before contacting the PI. So, step one still remains contact his local USPS office.