Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-20-2017, 07:43 AM

What is unique? Most of the custom bikes are very much the same in terms of frame design, if you don't need custom what are they offering you?

There isn't really anything else like the Domane, it is actually a unique bike.

If unique means less units produced that's a different thing, for me it often means how the bike rides and is designed.

I love the way mine rides. I'm not sure I'd like the SLR as much, but I haven't rode one. Compared to anything else I've rode the Domane is one of the only bikes that can really deliver on that oh so ridiculous marketing adage of "lateral stiffness and vertical compliance."
Old 07-17-2017, 07:06 AM

As an 'old guy' (70 this year) who has found nothing rides like lugged steel, am starting to suffer from 'bad hands' and am wondering if I should think about the Domane SL (don't need the SLR's added $$). The SL6 is attractively priced, as is the SL5. But, am wondering if it is worth the even less $$ S6 that only has the rear IsoSpeed? Since I'm looking for max comfort for my hands, am thinking the extra expense of the SL's front IsoSpeed might well be worth it.

Anyone got a longer-term SL or SLR ride report they would care to share?
Thanks.
Old 07-17-2017, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97CSI View Post
As an 'old guy' (70 this year) <snip>

Anyone got a longer-term SL or SLR ride report they would care to share?
Thanks.
I have a couple thousand miles on my SLR now and I really do love the bike but for front end compliance in a modern bike I do believe the new Roubaix is hard to beat. The Domane does a fine job of isolating the big hits from getting to your hands it is no where near as plush as the Roubaix. FWIW..... I work at a Trek/Specialized dealer.....
Trek Stache
Specialized Fatboy
Old 07-17-2017, 07:47 AM

Thanks. Not so sure about the Roubaix. I like the fact that Trek uses a complete Shimano groupset while Specialized is pretty much a mix-master group. Think my biggest decision is between the SL6 & SL5. Easy enough to up-grade components as they wear out on SL5 (likely years). A bigger deal is the wheelset. That said, I have a pair of Sirocco wheels I could use if I can find a Shimano 11-spd carrier to replace the 10-spd that is currently on the rear.
Old 07-17-2017, 08:40 AM

I own a 2016 Domane 4.5

as mentioned in a previous thread, I did not want internal cables and wanted normal seatpost. That said, I run Velocity A23 rims with 28 mm Conti 4000 S II tires inflated to 75 rear, 65 front.

I run the same wheels and the same tires and the same psi on my Carver Ti. The Carver still does a better job of smoothing out the road and is still a lovely bike to ride. But the Domane weighs 2 pounds less than the Carver and I do believe the big fat Trek bottom bracket makes for a more responsive accelerator and better climber. The ISO thingy in the seat tube does seem to be effective on certain road imperfections. The Domane the rocket, the Carver the luxo.

Last edited by eddief; 07-17-2017 at 09:46 AM.
Old 07-17-2017, 10:52 AM

Wow old thread.

One thing I would mention with the Domane.. it might be less of a big deal on the new SLRs if you tighten up the seat flex but on mine I kind of feel like you need to tilt the saddle down in the front a little bit more than usual. When you sit on it the saddle rotates backwards and can effectively push the nose up, rotating your hips back. This is probably less of a big deal on the lower end Domanes too, as my understand from talking to the shop was the 5 and 6 series Domanes always had more compliance in the seat mast than the lower end ones that have seatposts.

This has been a little bit of a challenge for me.. set the saddle at the same angle I do on a bike with a regular seat seatpost and I get a subtle thing where it tires my back out because I'm not rotating my hips forward enough and I end up bending my back instead.
Old 07-17-2017, 05:30 PM

Only looking at the SL as I don't feel the need for the adjustable seat IsoSpeed of the SLR or the 600 carbon fiber as opposed to the 500 of the SL. Thanks.
Old 07-17-2017, 06:31 PM

If my Serotta Legend was broken beyond repair and based upon the reviews Trek Domane would be a bicycle I would consider seriously. But to replace a Moots titanium, I would not even remotely consider it. I found a used Waterford as a backup bike but only ride it when the Serotta Legend is in for maintenance. I feel sorry for those on rough riding carbon bikes.
Old 07-17-2017, 06:46 PM

I have had a full Ti Dean and a Serotta Ottrott and found both to be very harsh riding compared to lugged steel. My primary interest is relieving the suffering my hands are starting to go thru.
Old 07-17-2017, 06:53 PM

maybe a combination of things to consider

move to disc brakes in order to fit the fattest, softest tires possible. And buy whichever bike has the best front end gizmo to lessen harsh road conditions, and gel under your bar tape. If that doesn't work, maybe time to get most of the weight off your hands by going super high bars or flat bars.

Not suggesting a Riv, but this thing looks comfy to me. Maybe the style is right for you.

I'm 66 and my hands are starting to not enjoy the ride as much as they used to.

Quote:
I have had a full Ti Dean and a Serotta Ottrott and found both to be very harsh riding compared to lugged steel. My primary interest is relieving the suffering my hands are starting to go thru.

Last edited by eddief; 07-17-2017 at 06:55 PM.
Old 07-17-2017, 07:10 PM

Good thinking on the disc brakes. Was wondering if they were worth the additional $$, but now think they likely are. Am not a weight-wienie and don't mind being the last one to the top of the hill (though I've gone over Trail Ridge Road a number of times as well as up Mt. Evans). Think I would spring for the SL6 as some of the reviews I read on the 105 STI shifters state that the disc brake mods for that group make the shifters uncomfortable. As my main impetus in all this is to preserve my hands, getting a compromised shifter would be self-defeating.
Old 07-18-2017, 09:32 AM
n - 1

Quote:
Good thinking on the disc brakes. Was wondering if they were worth the additional $$, but now think they likely are. Am not a weight-wienie and don't mind being the last one to the top of the hill (though I've gone over Trail Ridge Road a number of times as well as up Mt. Evans). Think I would spring for the SL6 as some of the reviews I read on the 105 STI shifters state that the disc brake mods for that group make the shifters uncomfortable. As my main impetus in all this is to preserve my hands, getting a compromised shifter would be self-defeating.
Coincidentally, I test rode a Roubaix yesterday, just to see what this Future Shock was about. I didn't care for the funky shaped bars, stack height, and couple other things, but the ride was PLUSH. If you're wanting max hand comfort, I don't know if it would get better than that. I also saw a model with Etap, which may also help with your hand condition.

I would at least demo one to see if it's to your liking.
Old 07-18-2017, 02:05 PM

I also like the Roubaix for comfort. And, it does not have the swaying seat post that the Domane has, although it can be pretty much defeated on the Domane with the adjustment provided. Both good bikes though.
Old 07-19-2017, 06:36 PM

I think that ti builders need to go back to the Serotta DKS mode of rear suspension- agree that Domane seatpost is not an optimal solution for all road conditions. I think this can be done if a builder puts the R&D in.
Old 07-19-2017, 06:43 PM

i'm 190

and would never say the Domane iso thing makes my seatpost sway in any way. It just absorbs some bumps. Kinda like the zertz things.