Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-12-2017, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortsocks View Post
I dont see what the Problem with this Helmet is.

Most of the Condoms sold in the US are made in China, so whats the big deal with this helmet? We trust the Chinese to make Helmets for our Little heads...but its not okay if they make them for our Big Heads? Come on. I see a massive Hypocrisy here.
I'm temporarily working in China (Shanghai) so I've got a little perspective on this. Chinese "fakes" aren't all the same. In the best case, a "fake" is made in the same factory as the real item, with the same material. In this case, the subcontracted manufacturer simply makes more of an item than he is supposed to and smuggles it out the door for sale through unauthorized channels. In the worst case, some factory decides to duplicate the appearance of a "real" thing and doesn't care about the internals. There are also manufacturers who will straddle the middle, duplicate appearance and with decent quality inside. Price is really the only indicator and you never know what you get until you see it. Here in Shanghai the price range for a fake Rolex is $10-100 USD. The $10 might last a week or so while the $100 should last for many years. My wife has a two year old one (cost $40) that works just fine. The high quality fake looks and feels pretty good and without taking it apart, it's pretty hard to tell. From a foot away it looks perfect (at least to me but then I'm an Omega guy).

What surprises me is that there is no one in China has counterfitted certification stickers. Or maybe there is...
Old 03-12-2017, 10:44 AM

That's what I suspected. Cuz who is gonna go through the effort of doing up a CAD drawing and then procuring a look alike mold? Figured there was a secret night shift or something along those lines.

I think it was in Thailand that my coworkers went to see some watches that were knockoffs and classified as copy A, B and C grades. Can't recall which was the better of the three. He had a story about one high level knock-off that a jeweller suspected had stolen internals because they had the company stampings which he had never seen on a knockoff before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by summilux View Post
I'm temporarily working in China (Shanghai) so I've got a little perspective on this. Chinese "fakes" aren't all the same. In the best case, a "fake" is made in the same factory as the real item, with the same material. In this case, the subcontracted manufacturer simply makes more of an item than he is supposed to and smuggles it out the door for sale through unauthorized channels. In the worst case, some factory decides to duplicate the appearance of a "real" thing and doesn't care about the internals. There are also manufacturers who will straddle the middle, duplicate appearance and with decent quality inside. Price is really the only indicator and you never know what you get until you see it. Here in Shanghai the price range for a fake Rolex is $10-100 USD. The $10 might last a week or so while the $100 should last for many years. My wife has a two year old one (cost $40) that works just fine. The high quality fake looks and feels pretty good and without taking it apart, it's pretty hard to tell. From a foot away it looks perfect (at least to me but then I'm an Omega guy).

What surprises me is that there is no one in China has counterfitted certification stickers. Or maybe there is...
Old 03-12-2017, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veloo View Post
That's what I suspected. Cuz who is gonna go through the effort of doing up a CAD drawing and then procuring a look alike mold? Figured there was a secret night shift or something along those lines.

I think it was in Thailand that my coworkers went to see some watches that were knockoffs and classified as copy A, B and C grades. Can't recall which was the better of the three. He had a story about one high level knock-off that a jeweller suspected had stolen internals because they had the company stampings which he had never seen on a knockoff before.
The high end replica watches definitely have "decorated" internals, engraved with company name etc. They go to extremes, and some of the replica watches sell for over $400.
Old 03-12-2017, 11:41 AM
The B!

Quote:
eh? Like a certification that the counterfeit is an unlicensed copy, instead of a cheap/crappy reproduction?
Old 03-12-2017, 12:10 PM
AZ Slowpoke

Quote:
In this case, the subcontracted manufacturer simply makes more of an item than he is supposed to and smuggles it out the door for sale through unauthorized channels.
One of my vendors had this issue with their construction lasers. The manufacturer made some pretty significant over-runs and the same piece of equipment began appearing on eBay for less than half the price. They did not need to put fake stickers on it, the shape alone told people that it was something its not.

I saw a couple come in my shop for routine calibration and I opened one up to see the guts, they are the same, exact, piece of equipment. It's a good tool. The problem is that when something goes wrong, who do you go to for support, eBay? Even the best manufacturer has a failure rate. My shop has value to my customers because we sell and support our products. I could service and repair these "fakes," but I won't.

I buy most of my bike stuff locally for the same reason, when something goes wrong I know the people at the LBS give a damn.

Last edited by BobO; 03-12-2017 at 12:12 PM.
Old 03-13-2017, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobO View Post
I buy most of my bike stuff locally for the same reason, when something goes wrong I know the people at the LBS give a damn.
^^^People like to crap all over the Chinese and their "fakes" but they are really just filling a demand. If there wasn't a demand for "fakes", nobody would be supplying them. There are too many people thinking that $15 is the proper price for a helmet. Buy local and from people you trust.
Old 03-13-2017, 12:12 PM
Randomhead

the cheapest Giro helmet is what, $40? That's usually what I get. Might upgrade to a MIPS on my next purchase though.
Old 03-17-2017, 03:17 PM

And legit helmet stomp tested.

https://www.facebook.com/evocyclesrh...c_ref=NEWSFEED
Old 03-18-2017, 08:14 AM
Riding Along

Quote:
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
the cheapest Giro helmet is what, $40? That's usually what I get. Might upgrade to a MIPS on my next purchase though.
I picked up a Giro Foray MIPS for $38 USD.

Old 03-18-2017, 08:17 AM
Riding Along

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veloo View Post
Wow, that helmet put up a good fight!
Old 03-18-2017, 01:37 PM
AZ Slowpoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Dog View Post
I picked up a Giro Foray MIPS for $38 USD.
Does this mean the $38 head just increased is value?
Old 03-19-2017, 08:06 AM

Cover the vents with duct tape, spray on some flex seal, and you'll have yourself an ice cooler to hold a couple of beers. Presto!
Old 03-19-2017, 08:53 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobO View Post
Does this mean the $38 head just increased in value?
That $38 Giro protects your head as well as a $250 whiz-helmet..The idea that $ makes this styrofoam yarmulke protect your head better is marketing 101. It 'may' be lighter, it 'may' be cooler but they all pass the (rather meager) standards.
Old 03-19-2017, 01:21 PM
AZ Slowpoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
That $38 Giro protects your head as well as a $250 whiz-helmet..The idea that $ makes this styrofoam yarmulke protect your head better is marketing 101. It 'may' be lighter, it 'may' be cooler but they all pass the (rather meager) standards.
That was a joke. I wear the same helmet and may have a $38 dollar head. I was kinda excited about the increase in me value.