Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-16-2017, 07:14 AM

OT: Jeep Cherokee XJ

I know I've been posting about anything but bikes recently, but hey it's still technically winter here in Portland.

Anyone have experience with The Jeep XJ's (83-01 Cherokee)?

I found a super clean 2WD 1997 with the 4.0L I6 and very low miles for under $2k. Thinking it could be a fun project to convert to 4WD.

I've got shop space at work and a coworker who has a bunch of experience working on TJ's. Parts look like they should be easy to find if I just do my research and take some time.

Basically just looking for verification that I haven't totally lost my mind. Was about to just settle for an early 2000's outback and call it a day but that just wouldn't be as fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-16-2017, 08:01 AM

You've lost your mind. Plenty of 4WD examples of the XJ out there in nice condition for not much more dinero. Great SUV, but a 2wd to 4wd conversion seems pointless when they're still pretty common.
Old 03-16-2017, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
You've lost your mind. Plenty of 4WD examples of the XJ out there in nice condition for not much more dinero. Great SUV, but a 2wd to 4wd conversion seems pointless when they're still pretty common.

Ha! Yes I may have.

The odd issue is that a 4WD one in similar condition here in the northwest is about four times the price. The parts for the swap total around $400 according to the forums. As for performing it...depends how bad that headache could get.

Old 03-16-2017, 09:43 AM
n - 1

The swap itself, should be easy, especially if you have a friend who's a pro. That wouldn't be a concern. But do you need a straight axle gas guzzler? If your needs were going to be met by a Subaru, which offers a more comfortable ride and better MPG, why go with a Jeep?

But if you've got time, money, and a mechanic friend, should be a fun project.
Old 03-16-2017, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by p nut View Post
The swap itself, should be easy, especially if you have a friend who's a pro. That wouldn't be a concern. But do you need a straight axle gas guzzler? If your needs were going to be met by a Subaru, which offers a more comfortable ride and better MPG, why go with a Jeep?

But if you've got time, money, and a mechanic friend, should be a fun project.

That is the ultimate question.

Its primarily a leisure car. I commute 5 days a week on the bike and have another car I can use for around town trips. It was mostly be for camping and heading out national forest roads and as a ski vehicle. Tasks which the Subaru would be more than adequate.

So the question is: is it worth it to save money up front, get some good experience wrenching and have a fun vehicle with poor mpg or take the practical route and have a slightly more boring car?

Old 03-16-2017, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by estilley View Post
That is the ultimate question.

Its primarily a leisure car. I commute 5 days a week on the bike and have another car I can use for around town trips. It was mostly be for camping and heading out national forest roads and as a ski vehicle. Tasks which the Subaru would be more than adequate.

So the question is: is it worth it to save money up front, get some good experience wrenching and have a fun vehicle with poor mpg or take the practical route and have a slightly more boring car?

I say get a mid 2000s Forester or Outback, they'll probably be fine for some light off-roading (as you can see on the interwebs). You can fit a mild lift kit on one if you wanted to go bigger and badder, and still have a pretty decent car for going offgrid.
Of course, it's probably more expensive to go down this route than a 1997 jeep.
Just my 0.02$

Last edited by TunaAndBikes; 03-16-2017 at 10:34 AM. Reason: They look pretty rad 2
Old 03-16-2017, 05:05 PM

Go with the Jeep. I don't know enough to have an opinion on your 4WD conversion. My '98 XJ is still going strong at over 200k miles -- bought it new, and have had very few repairs over the last 19 years. The engine and transmission are absolutely bulletproof.

With a car that old, you may run into obsolescence issues on certain electronic parts, ie, shift solenoids & the like. They just don't make them anymore, so cold calling junk yards may be in your future -- been there. Otherwise, it's a great automobile. I wish they still made the XJ line.
Old 03-16-2017, 05:23 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
This.

I loved my XJ. I have had 32 cars since I was 15 and none longer than 2 years at a time—except my XJ (5 years total). Great truck. It got 16-18mpg for everyday driving, which isn't horrible for what it was.

Don't buy one to convert to 4wd, but buy a 2001 4wd and modify it for 'fun.'

I would buy another if I could find one in the same or better condition as my old Classic. A lot of them were lost forever in the whole Cash For Clunkers deal.
Old 03-17-2017, 07:43 AM

As the owner of a few Jeeps at the moment I am an enabler and fully support the OP and his crazy idea. Do it

Subarus are for tennis moms, real men drive Jeeps...with a snorkel...and a shovel attached to the roof rack

Intrigued by the whole conversion thing, assuming the 2wd was like a grandma vehicle and is in pretty good shape with no miles. Most of the 4wd XJs in my area are high miles and a little rough. If you have a proper donor car, might not be all that bad of a conversion, plus that 4.0 is a great engine. It will last forever
Old 03-17-2017, 08:07 AM

Do you have to swap the whole trans? Just get a 4WD in good shape if you have to have 4x4. There will be plenty of other things to do to it.
My 96 XJ Country is in 2WD unless I'm in the middle of a severe snowstorm.
It's like an old house, there's always something that needs fixin' when you get around to it. 4.0 engine is bullet proof, but with age lots of things will need to be replaced. Doing the leaf springs when it gets warm enough.
Old 03-17-2017, 11:20 PM

4x4 XJs in good shape go for around $4-6K in the northwest. This one is $1800 and is cleaner than any 4x4 I've seen. Parts total should be under $1K for the swap so if all goes to plan I'll be way ahead and have a much better running vehicle than any 4x4 I would purchase.

The swap is something I'll have until next ski season to work on so there will be ample time to source parts and plan execution. Everything I've read online stresses that it's pretty easy.

As for the roof rack with the shovel bracket - I'm paying my way through grad school by working at a rack shop so that will be taken care of .

Old 03-17-2017, 11:21 PM

OT: Jeep Cherokee XJ

As for what the swap entails...

Transfer case
Transmission
Front axle
Instrument cluster

...might be forgetting one more thing

EDIT:

The Craigslist ad is gone...I think it sold!!

Last edited by estilley; 03-17-2017 at 11:27 PM.