Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-06-2017, 05:04 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
Nonetheless, at 63 years old I have had multiple friends die from heart attacks, strokes, and cancer (Sheldon was 63 when he died), and I'm grateful for being mostly functional and being able to get out on two wheels just about every day, even if it's just riding to work. And I just plain don't care what the bike looks like if I can ride it comfortably.

Any of you in similar circumstances?
Why of course!! The object of the ride is the ride. Mechanical meditation, soothing, comforting, mind calming, to just get on the thing(any bike) and pedal it around. Distance, pace, time, just doesn't matter. Turning the pedals..THAT matters. Now, if speed, HR, powerout, strava stuff..all that makes the ride the ride you want, go right ahead.

But for this 66 year old, the object of the ride is the ride.
Old 03-06-2017, 06:50 AM

I am smack in the midst of what I suspect might be one of those step functions. Last Tuesday I collided with a car on my way home from work. Don't remember anything. Woke up in the ambulance. I now sport some titanium (I think) rods and screws in my right femur, have a dislocated left AC joint, and soreness in several other places. Should go to rehab today for a few days to get a bit more mobility and learn to navigate stairs.

At 63, my declines up to this point have been of the slow, age-related type. I've had no major illness or chronic conditions. It will likely be a few weeks before I can even climb on a bike attached to a stationary trainer or get into the pool. Should be interesting to see what functionality pops out of the back end of this event/process.

Last edited by smontanaro; 03-06-2017 at 08:35 AM.
Old 03-06-2017, 06:57 AM
ZhugeLiang

montanaro pal, sorry to hear about your recent accident, hope you heal up soon.
Old 03-06-2017, 08:47 AM

smontanaro, ouch. Heal up quick.
Old 03-06-2017, 11:19 AM

Hope for a speedy recovery.
Old 03-06-2017, 12:59 PM

SMontanaro, you're a young man... although at the moment you feel old! Ouch, t'was even more nasty than my crash in the fall. The head injury sounds similar though. Do your PT, be an optimist, be back soon! You'll heal up, and we'll be pulling for you. Tailwinds...
Old 03-06-2017, 04:16 PM

When I was in grad school in Vancouver, my LBS was this old school, family oriented shop owned by a former Olympian named Lorne Atkinson. I just Googled him now and he died 7 years ago at 88. http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle4353058/

To my point, in 2006, I would see him ever-so-slowly and gingerly pedalling his road bike with a bunch of old dudes and I was always impressed that he was out doing it. The bike was totally dated with raised handlebars and a lowered saddle to allow him to get his leg over the bar, but in the end, he was in his mid-80s and doing what he loved.

In my mid-40s, I still ride bikes that look 'right', but I foresee the day that I put a flat bar on my road bike because I just cannot stretch out to ride on drop bars anymore.

Though Ive never been an amazing athlete, I was a fanatical runner until my late 30's when I think I just got lazy. I still miss the charge I get out of running, and am trying to get back out there to shuffle my feet like a mid-40s aging athlete

As Peter says, the goal of the ride is the ride. Even now.
Old 03-06-2017, 04:38 PM
Ride 'yer bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisan View Post
Ti pal, I would sure like to meet John pal. In fact, I am coming up to Boston for a week (May 20-26) It's probably wishful thinking on my part, but if the stars all aligned and you are up for it, we can go visit him May 21 Sunday. I will bring my bike.
That's the weekend my shop normally has it's Tandem & Touring weekend. I lead a tandem group ride around what's know as the Allis loop - the loop that John used to train for the olympic road race. John and his wife do ride a tandem, and I'll certaily ask them to join us.
Old 03-06-2017, 07:20 PM

Hope it all works out and you are back better thn new! Heal well and quickly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smontanaro View Post
I am smack in the midst of what I suspect might be one of those step functions. Last Tuesday I collided with a car on my way home from work. Don't remember anything. Woke up in the ambulance. I now sport some titanium (I think) rods and screws in my right femur, have a dislocated left AC joint, and soreness in several other places. Should go to rehab today for a few days to get a bit more mobility and learn to navigate stairs.

At 63, my declines up to this point have been of the slow, age-related type. I've had no major illness or chronic conditions. It will likely be a few weeks before I can even climb on a bike attached to a stationary trainer or get into the pool. Should be interesting to see what functionality pops out of the back end of this event/process.
Old 03-06-2017, 07:24 PM
ZhugeLiang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ti Designs View Post
That's the weekend my shop normally has it's Tandem & Touring weekend. I lead a tandem group ride around what's know as the Allis loop - the loop that John used to train for the olympic road race. John and his wife do ride a tandem, and I'll certaily ask them to join us.
Awesome!

I better put a 58 on my big chain ring then.
Old 03-06-2017, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
...the ride is the ride.
Made me think of e-Richie.
Old 03-06-2017, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisan View Post
Awesome!

I better put a 58 on my big chain ring then.
Maybe you could be Ti pal's stoker for the ride?

Are you free on the Thursday of that week? Ti and I ride every Thursday morning and you'd be welcome to join us. Regardless, I hope that you share your schedule a little bit so that the Boston area riffraff might be able to meet up with you at some point that week!
Old 03-06-2017, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smontanaro View Post

Sorry to hear. I hope for a speedy recovery.

This whole thing about style on the bike is really a little bit silly... if you're out riding and enjoying yourself, you'll always be 'in style'.

Reminds me a bit of those who belittled Serotta for making (custom) bikes where the bar height was higher than the saddle... you know who you are...