Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-17-2024, 12:39 PM

OT: Backpack for business travel

My business travel is picking up a bit, mostly 2-3 days. I need to carry business casual and I'm pretty good at packing. (I carry a lot...but pack well. I am by no means a minimalist)

I've used a Tom Bihn suitcase in the past and like the wheels-free mobility.

I'm thinking that perhaps a traditional backpack might be something to try.

Have others done multiday business travel with a backpack?

What are the benefits/drawbacks of this approach? What makes life easier? Packing cubes? Many small pockets? One large duffel style opening?

...traditional hiking backpack like the Osprey below, or something like the Patagonia Black Hole MLC pack that seems to be more like a suitcase with straps? Or...the Tom Bihn Aeronaut 45?

Assuming that this bag gets put into the overhead, what's your secondary bag? Mine is a midsize backpack that holds laptop, Bose headphones, snack food, etc. I don't expect to be carrying *two* backpacks...

Do I take a *smaller* bag out of the backpack for the trip?

My next trip is transcon - BOS-SEA - in two weeks, two day conference plus red-eye back...

Osprey Kestrel 48 shown for consideration (just picked it off the REI website...seems like a good volume...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Osprey Kestrel 48.jpg (42.8 KB, 284 views)
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy

Last edited by C40_guy; 04-17-2024 at 12:48 PM.
Old 04-17-2024, 12:47 PM

My primary objective when business travel or travel in general is to minimize effort and stress associated with travel.

That means a 4 wheel spinner (I use Rimowa that has external pouches for devices and other stuff) and a bag that slides over it. Where to put the backpack in the bathroom?

I own two osprey porter bags that are designed for travel and check in but never use them. I’d pick them over the bag shown since the are designed for travel.

Cubes are very helpful. We use them for all travel needs. Roll the clothes for packing.
Old 04-17-2024, 12:59 PM

Not exactly sure how much help I can be because all my major business travel was many years ago prior to the advent of the 4wheel rolling bags. But back then I too traveled for business pretty much exclusively with a backpack. It was a good sized backpack that was designed to carry my 17" laptop in a virtical sleeve. I could easily carry 2'ish days clothes with a change of shoes included. Creative folding helped and was needed to mitigate wrinkles and as much need for ironing. I liked this method for 2 main reasons: 1) Everything was together [laptop & business items, along with my clothes], 2) The main reason was that I valued mobility. I was regularly going places I'd never been and wanted to be efficient and swift. I NEVER checked anything and I could easily move through the airport crowds, get on a bus or subway, and also be less of 'a problem' when traveling with co-workers. Some of the crap they traveled with boggled the mind.

Cheers,
CJB
Old 04-17-2024, 12:59 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

I got this from Universal Cuycles for VG price. Not business use, but used for our Glasgow Worlds trip 8/23.

Brooks Pitfield Backpack

We were all over the triangle of Edinburg/Glasgow/Inverness.

The padded rear notepad slot against your back gobbled up my Yoga I7, and the outer back stretchy zippered spot [made for a helmet] was great for my SLR/2 lens carry. The hardware is all metal and it look to me like it will be around for long long time. And easily fits in the airport carry on sizing box loaded.

I just took it for a few day Nashville trip as well, it travels and carries excellently IMO.

Top kinda closes line an Ortlieb pannier bag to keep out wet.

Last edited by robt57; 04-17-2024 at 01:32 PM.
Old 04-17-2024, 01:12 PM
n - 1

I only wear a backpack for travel (domestic and international). Lots of good ones to consider. Mine is a Goruck GR2.

Whatever you get, get one that opens all the way (opens flat). Much easier packing, organizing, accessing.

https://www.goruck.com/collections/gr2

Last edited by p nut; 04-22-2024 at 07:13 AM.
Old 04-17-2024, 01:26 PM

I have almost that exact Osprey pack. Mine is pretty old but it looks like the same one. The pictured one just looks like it's sleeker with less attachment points for gear.

For business travel I'd say you might run into issues with the giant top loading pouch being somewhat annoying in terms of accessing stuff. A big enough pack has auxiliary pockets for stuff you might need in the airport. (Mine does). But if you need something out of the main pouch you're kind of stuck unloading everything above it. (This keeps the pack weatherproof). You mess up your clothes though, which would be annoying for business.

The one p_nut posted is harder to weather seal but probably more convenient for someone not actually backpacking through the woods/mountains.

Some of those packs carry a ridiculous amount though. Mine carries more than a typical carry on.
Old 04-17-2024, 01:36 PM

I have an eddie bauer duffel/backpack that works well for me but isn't really professional.

I think something like the Thule Aion is what I'd look at if I wanted something that looked better.

I've been using a chrome barrage as my everyday carry bag and it works great for weekend trips, but it's not as convenient since it's a top loader. It's on sale now though!
https://chromeindustries.com/product...40554886594620

I think photography style backpacks work pretty well since they're designed to be opened up all the way to access gear instead of piling things up from the top.
Old 04-17-2024, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C40_guy View Post
My business travel is picking up a bit, mostly 2-3 days. I need to carry business casual and I'm pretty good at packing. (I carry a lot...but pack well. I am by no means a minimalist)

I've used a Tom Bihn suitcase in the past and like the wheels-free mobility.

I'm thinking that perhaps a traditional backpack might be something to try
Since you mentioned Tom Bihn have you considered the Synik 30?

https://www.tombihn.com/products/syn...42087190757565

This has a 270 degree zipper so you can fold it flat and load it like a suitcase/duffel. Side access for a laptop/tablet. Very good pouches on the front for accessories, water bottle, etc. Zip pouch at the bottom is large enough to hold a pair of running shoes with shorts/socks stuffed inside. This approach works well for me as it leaves one large center section that you can either run empty or pack pretty full with suitcase style things, side access to laptop/tablet is great. I leave the front packed at all times with charging cables, pens, water bottle, running shoes.

I haven't used this for business travel much (my travel volume is down from what it was five years ago) but have successfully used it as a single bag for long weekend personal trips multiple times. Including a few on Frontier airlines where it was my personal item to avoid the excessive baggage fees they charge.

I think the big question you need to ask is volume. If you can get by with 30L then something like the Synik is going to be much easier to carry around day to day and look more professional than a hiking backpack. It also would fit under the seat in front of you where a 40+ L pack would not.

Last edited by Wunder; 04-17-2024 at 01:54 PM.
Old 04-17-2024, 01:51 PM

Two bags is nice so that you store one in the overhead, and still have a small bag at your seat for items used frequently in the flight (laptop + headphones) without needing to get up and down midflight. Luckily most US domestic airlines are not charging extra for this yet.

Personally I'd opt for:
- nondescript backpack to carry your laptop, with a dedicated laptop compartment opening
- another bag (duffel or rolling suitcase) for clothes

If you need to go straight to a client meeting, no one's going to bat an eye if you need to place your secondary duffel somewhere versus entering a conference room with a large "hiking" backpack.

Granted, some people are master packers and can get away with only a 26L backpack for a week. I'm not one of them and prefer to never overstuff any bag when traveling.

If you still insist on one large backpack, Tom Bihn released the Technonaut (aesthetically not my thing, but Tom Bihn makes good products), and Evergoods has a slick Civic Travel Bag.
Old 04-17-2024, 02:00 PM

Thanks all...most of the more traditional backpacks seem to be quite a bit taller than some of the TSA guidelines.

Has this been an issue for those using backpacks?
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 04-17-2024, 02:06 PM

That's dependent on carrier and whether you're flying on any smaller prop planes. If you're only flying between large hubs on major carriers, I'd say you'll be fine.
Old 04-17-2024, 02:34 PM

Osprey transporter + odds/ends

I swear by the Osprey Transporter 40. You can wear it like a backpack, or sling it over your shoulder, or carry it like a suitcase. Handles at the top and the bottom. One external zippered pocket for odds and ends. And the straps pack into a rear zippered flap. In this I usually manage to get:

- running shoes
- casual or dress shoes (as needed)
- workout wear (shorts/t shirt etc.)
- undergarments etc.
- 1 suit + 2 shirts + 1 tie
- 1 sweater
- t shirt

Folding/rolling well is the key for optimizing the space for the items above.

My work takes me up and down the Eastern Seaboard, and I’m usually multi-modal (car/Amtrak/plane/sometimes CitiBike in NYC) so this works like a charm in all the annoying overhead bins of trains/planes etc. including RJs.

If I need more space or am going for longer, I typically pair this with a very basic zippered tote for my iPad, notebooks, whatever I am reading etc. Then I have the Osprey on my back, and carry/sling my tote as needed.

My only wish for the Osprey is for an external water bottle sleeve.

MB
Old 04-17-2024, 02:38 PM

I can always fit more in my osprey porter 40 than any suitcase allowed for check in. Great bags though not sure what the equivalent is now.
Old 04-17-2024, 02:45 PM
Are you thinking....

Thule Subterra

I have two of these, one for work, one for everything else, and they are fantastic. Lots of room, padded laptop and ipad sleeves plus a structured side pocket for glasses/phone. Easy carry.
Old 04-17-2024, 02:56 PM

Thanks...the Sojourn Porter 46 seems to be the update, although it seems to have somewhat limited availability.

Looks like it will pack better than the more traditional backpacks. It does have an external water bottle sleeve.

Packing cubes will be very helpful...

I'm torn between the Porter, the Farpoint 40 and the more technical backpacks, which may be a bit more comfortable to carry through airports...
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy

Last edited by C40_guy; 04-17-2024 at 05:03 PM.