Old 10-19-2020, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsinill View Post
... I am a messy guy ...
😂😂😂🤣
Old 10-19-2020, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reuben View Post
Pegboards have never really appealed to me for some reason. But they can make good use of otherwise unused wall space. Maybe I should reconsider...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikej View Post
That looks pretty good, especially for longer hard to store tools. Ive looked at those metal peg boards on Amazon. Are there enough "useful" types of "pegs"?? And definitely magnets.
Honestly, the bigger J and L-shaped pegs are all I use. I get them at Menards.
Some of them you might have to bend a little to fit things, e.g. increase the radius of the hook etc.
This is why I am using mostly metal pegs.

For things like the screwdriver rack etc. I bend 2 L-hooks so they are 90 degrees and drill tight holes at the end of the wooden "shelf" to stick the hooks in so I can hang it on the board.

One more thing: I was always annoyed with the pegs moving too much or coming off when you remove a tool from the board.
I got some "peg locks" that take care of that and work really well with those metal boards:

Old 10-19-2020, 12:28 PM

Another option is building a Pelican/Storm case of the tools you need for cycling specific work, and you can add other tools. I moved into a smaller place which limited my storage this year, and went the route of having all my tools (aside from power tools) in a pelican case, with Kaizen foam inserts. It's not as easy as the nice roller drawers I had before from a convenience perspective, but it's compact, and well organized.

some inspiration

https://cyclingtips.com/2019/01/tool...ng-tool-nerds/
Old 10-19-2020, 12:54 PM
Small ring

Quote:
I got some "peg locks" that take care of that and work really well with those metal boards:

Do those really work on a metal board? The thinnest ones they make say for 1/8" board. On my workbench metal pegboard, I just mounted regular pegboard behind it to help hold the hooks.
Old 10-19-2020, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmudshark View Post
Do those really work on a metal board? The thinnest ones they make say for 1/8" board. On my workbench metal pegboard, I just mounted regular pegboard behind it to help hold the hooks.

Yes, they do.
Mine are the 1/4” version and even just using one as per their recommendation, holds the hooks well.
For heavier stuff or more used items, I am using 2 which really locks them in.

Old 10-19-2020, 01:53 PM

I have the same (or very similar) panels as Gsinilll and they're like the best thing I ever did to the workshop area.

I only have 2 panels, arguably I should get some more, but I don't necessarily have mounting space. I have them over the workbench with space in the middle and I have a wall mounted power strip there and then have my DeWalt charger mounted in the middle too. Having the power there is kind of important for plugging in bench tools and the heater I have under the workbench. I can't expand out to the side because I have shelves on the sides of the bench.

They save an unbelievable amount of time versus putting stuff in toolboxes. Particularly with crescent wrenches. Instead of hunting for the one you need they're all laid out in front of you and you immediately grab the one you need cause you can read all the sizes and (if you're sane) you laid them out on the panel in size order.

I also keep all my allen keys, allen/torx bits and stuff in plastic holders mounted on the panels. That stuff saves a lot of time when working on bike stuff and you need to grab bits & a torque wrench, etc..
Old 10-19-2020, 05:15 PM

Well, I still haven't decided for sure, but I'm leaning toward a tool chest. I thought that I might try a large tool roll since if it doesn't work I will have spent minimal money.

Then I looked at all of the tools that don't fit in my current tool chest and are strewn over at least a dozen feet of shelves, and figured I may as well try to kill two birds with one stone. If I later decide I want some portability I'll look into a roll or toolbox for a subset of tools.

I'm gonna live here a couple of more years, then move. By then I'll have a better idea of what works for me, what doesn't, and maybe some pegboard at the new place.
Old 10-19-2020, 05:36 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmudshark View Post
I have two homes, so basically a duplication of tools in each. I wish I had a current picture of my MI workspace. I have the truing stand off to the side, and cabinets that hold spare parts.

Attachment 1698011006

Attachment 1698011004

Attachment 1698011008

Attachment 1698011007
Nice!

I have the Wall Control metal pegboards that I got from one of their scratch and dent sales. They're nice in that you can easily reposition the metal hooks but I have to be careful with pulling tools off otherwise the metal hooks get dislodged.
Old 10-19-2020, 06:47 PM
Small ring

Quote:
Yes, they do.
Mine are the 1/4” version and even just using one as per their recommendation, holds the hooks well.
For heavier stuff or more used items, I am using 2 which really locks them in.

I'll give them a try in AZ, where the pegboard is retractable, so I haven't reinforced it with 1/8". I've never seen those before, and they seem to be the only company offering something like that.

Tags
storage, tools