Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-27-2017, 08:51 AM
slower than you

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdmtong View Post
I floss, brush like a madman yet my teeth suck. just finished implant #2...and I know one more is on horizon...lucky me, bad DNA....

Buy and use a water pic. I wish I had one and started using it when I was twenty. Pressure cleaner for the mouth. And I brush and floss too, beforehand, but there's still a bunch of junk the water pic flushes out.
Old 07-27-2017, 09:34 AM
Classics Fan

Yes, finished an implant/crown process in June, that started last august, on my #10 lateral incisor. Sucked. But finished product seems solid.

Process went like this for me: Extract old tooth and add bone graft, let heal for 3-4 months, check bone density with 3d xray, install implant, let heal for 3-4 months, actually more like 5, uncover the implant (another incision), Install temporary crown while gums heal, let that go for 1 or so months. Then install final permanent crown.

Whole shebang, because of the timing cost me much less because it was spread over 2 years, and dental insurance reset January 1. So, all in all, less out of pocket than they quoted me initially.
Old 07-27-2017, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddief View Post
your closest dental school. Students mentored by real DDS. Still a bit o crap shoot but the price should be about half.
+ 100

I've had three done at an NYC dental school and couldn't be happier with the price and the work. In my case, they weren't students, they were residents and they were trying to impress the attending (I assume) so they were extremely thorough. Other dentists have complimented their work. And the price, as I recall was $1800 a tooth including the crown but no rebuilding.

Or, do as my sister did. She got a quote from her local dentist and then got a quote from a nearby dental school. She then went to her local and told him that she would prefer to use him but he had to come close to the price. The local reduced his prices to a point where she was happy.

One thing, as with any teaching hospital, spring is the best time to get elective procedures done. Residents turn over on July 1. The resident you get in July will have a couple of weeks under his/her belts but will be a grizzled vet in the spring.
Old 07-27-2017, 03:37 PM

close to 6k per tooth here.
I have found out due to a 25 year-old bridge that has failed. it's one of those things...you hate the idea of spending that much, but the alternative of getting a denture of some kind is not what I want to do.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
Old 07-27-2017, 04:43 PM

I had a very bad bike accident in 1994 and had to get a whole bunch of teeth replaced. Four implants and rebuilding my jaw with hip bone ended up being like $25k back then. So to me the price doesn't sound out of whack based on long outdated experience. They've lasted well and given very few problems - the teeth part have worn and broken a couple of times but the implants have not had any major issues.
Old 07-27-2017, 05:15 PM
slower than you

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose8 View Post
I had a very bad bike accident in 1994 and had to get a whole bunch of teeth replaced. Four implants and rebuilding my jaw with hip bone ended up being like $25k back then. So to me the price doesn't sound out of whack based on long outdated experience. They've lasted well and given very few problems - the teeth part have worn and broken a couple of times but the implants have not had any major issues.
Yeah, the implants are key. If you have issues with the teeth, just screw in a new one.
Old 07-27-2017, 05:49 PM

I was hit by a car a few years ago, broke my jaw on both sides, sheared off two teeth at the gum-line, fractured a number of upper rear teeth diagonally through the tooth.

The two that were sheared off at the gum had to be extracted, then I had implants - two of, first the plugs with plugs for a number of months for the bone to adhere fully and then the ti/ceramic teeth themselves bolted into place.

This would have cost around £2,600/tooth if I was paying for it privately, but because I was knocked off my bike, breaking off two teeth which were in perfect condition before hand the local hospital did both for free. If I'd allowed them to rot then this would not have been an option.

I paid the NHS rate for the rest of the work - which was substantial in quantity, but the cost was reasonable, which was lucky as I was not on a huge wage at the time.

The implants have been rock solid ever since, no pain during fitting or afterward, very happy with them - the only thing I'll note is that when I had the titanium plugs in place for those couple of months and was cycling in the cold with my mouth open the cold could strike down through them into your jaw - instant ice-cream headache. Now they're coated with ceramic that problem no longer exists.
Old 02-23-2022, 02:09 PM

The price of a dental implant is given, first of all, by the doctor's experience who puts the dental implant.
Old 02-23-2022, 02:29 PM

Working on #3 now, having the tooth put in next week. All of mine have been routine, no issues, and about $5k apiece. I had different insurance on each one.
First one - I was working, good plan paid half out of pocket
Second - retired, lousy plan, paid all of it
Third - better plan, think I'm paying around half

It's a chunk of cash that really stings, that's for sure. The end result is quite nice, though.
Old 02-23-2022, 02:50 PM

I have an ortho in Westchester and in London. They both do great work. The price is inline with what they charge.

I think good oral health impacts positively both your physical health and your mental health. It is money well spent.
Old 02-23-2022, 02:58 PM
Small ring

Not to derail, but what insurance are retired US folks using that cover periodontal and implants?
Old 02-23-2022, 03:04 PM

Ugh, I broke a tooth yesterday. They did a temporary fix but I'm scheduled for a crown next month. I wonder what that will cost.
Old 02-23-2022, 03:20 PM

I have two. Yep, about $5K each for everything. Cha-ching, budda-bing. I probably wouldn't have gotten #2 but it was toward the front and I would've looked like that hillbilly from DELIVERANCE without it.

Last edited by Jeff N.; 02-23-2022 at 03:25 PM.
Old 02-23-2022, 03:22 PM
Resident Slacker

I've got a couple implants. I try and spread the implant and crown across 2 different years, that way I can use as much of my FSA account as possible for each.
Old 02-23-2022, 03:23 PM

I have 4 implants and that price is in line with my most recent one.