Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-27-2017, 06:22 AM

Pretty well known issue. They will make you jump through a few hoops but they should replace it for you if a full reset doesn't fix it. (Full reset, turn the battery around, hold for 30 seconds, reinstall the battery).
Old 07-27-2017, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramnnim View Post
Get a second gen pod and you'll be much less likely to have problems.

Arrow.com for cheap 2032 batteries that aren't useless fakes like the ones from ebay/amazon
Thanks, good thing the one I've bern looking at us az Gen 2

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Old 07-27-2017, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John H. View Post
Start a ticket with Stages.
Don't settle for less than them agreeing to take it back to check.

I have a Stages as a backup for my SRM.

Just getting on my soapbox here. This reply is not directed at the OP or at John H.

When Stages says send your left crankarm or your crankset back to us, what is the rider expected to do in the interim? Are we supposed to have the original left crankarm in the drawer? Do Stages retailers keep spare left 105 crankarms as loaners? What do the Campy guys do, seeing as it won't really be economical for most retailers to stock a bunch of left Chorus arms?

I mean, good for the guy who has the Stages as a backup to his SRM, but training with power is really gosh darn expensive before we have to start worrying about the reliability of the units.
Old 07-27-2017, 12:20 PM

I had a spare, non-power crank (SRAM Apex, about $100) to keep both bikes running.
Old 07-27-2017, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msngr View Post
Thanks. all. Good stuff here.

The meter is 2 years old, so I hope Stages does the right thing. Shimano, btw.

And, yes, I have been buying the batteries in bulk, but it is hard to keep an extra on me all the time, so I have probably bought 10-20 batteries at bodegas on the fly -I am a bike messenger and Coach needs to keep track of all my kJ.

I cannot say I have been thrilled with the meter in general. But at the time of purchase, it was the most economical option -needed one for road bike (and to frequently switch from road working bike to trainer bike) and one for fixed gear (and need to frequently switch from fixed gear working bike to track racing bike).
Sounds like you should have gone with a wheel-base Powertap. That's a lot of switching around.
Old 07-27-2017, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weiwentg View Post
Just getting on my soapbox here. This reply is not directed at the OP or at John H.

When Stages says send your left crankarm or your crankset back to us, what is the rider expected to do in the interim? Are we supposed to have the original left crankarm in the drawer? Do Stages retailers keep spare left 105 crankarms as loaners? What do the Campy guys do, seeing as it won't really be economical for most retailers to stock a bunch of left Chorus arms?

I mean, good for the guy who has the Stages as a backup to his SRM, but training with power is really gosh darn expensive before we have to start worrying about the reliability of the units.

Stages sends you a new one BEFORE they make you send one back. They have us covered!
Old 07-27-2017, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoota View Post
Sounds like you should have gone with a wheel-base Powertap. That's a lot of switching around.

I'd argue it's significantly faster to switch a crank with just a pedal to remove than a wheel with a tire and cassette to deal with. (And of course a road wheel can't be used on a track bike.)
Old 07-27-2017, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidC View Post
I'd argue it's significantly faster to switch a crank with just a pedal to remove than a wheel with a tire and cassette to deal with. (And of course a road wheel can't be used on a track bike.)
Good point on the track bike, didn't think of that.
Old 07-27-2017, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Yah but less risk of slicing your hands open on the chainrings when you're changing out the wheel/cassette. (Done that a few times changing cranks)

I have 2 Stages, both are fine on battery life I've changed them maybe once each.. got them both in 2016. One did fail, they covered it under the warranty without much trouble.

I do wonder about the 1 leg accuracy from time to time, but then figure if it's good enough for some of the Pros it's good enough for me. I don't really find it too hard to ride a steady power output with the Stages.. if it's jumping around so much I'd wonder if it's from power variances from leg to leg.
Old 07-27-2017, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Stages sends you a new one BEFORE they make you send one back. They have us covered!
Phew!
Old 07-27-2017, 07:09 PM

I have been having the same issue with mine: Install new battery. Works great for a few days then dies. Check battery with volt meter and it shows dead. Install new battery and it works fine. Repeat.

I opened a help ticket with Stages 2 days ago. They had me verify I was using the latest firmware, and send them a few pictures. It did appear mine would go into sleep mode so I'm not exactly sure why the battery is being drained.

They are sending out a replacement. It was pretty painless. Hope the new one works as intended.
Old 07-27-2017, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffie View Post
I have been having the same issue with mine: Install new battery. Works great for a few days then dies. Check battery with volt meter and it shows dead. Install new battery and it works fine. Repeat.

I opened a help ticket with Stages 2 days ago. They had me verify I was using the latest firmware, and send them a few pictures. It did appear mine would go into sleep mode so I'm not exactly sure why the battery is being drained.

They are sending out a replacement. It was pretty painless. Hope the new one works as intended.
Is yours a gen 1 or 2? Just curious.

Old 07-28-2017, 06:57 AM

Gen 2, bought it brand new in Feb of this year. Seems to have had this issue right out of the box. Just getting around to resolving it now as it's not on my primary bike.
Old 07-28-2017, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffie View Post
Gen 2, bought it brand new in Feb of this year. Seems to have had this issue right out of the box. Just getting around to resolving it now as it's not on my primary bike.
Hmmm, that's makes buying used a potentially risky proposition. Better start saving my pennies.

Old 07-28-2017, 09:01 AM

notorious problem that won't go away for them, despite numerous revisions of the battery door (that all look exactly the same) and now the pod itself. the solution is to sell it and buy something else that works. apparently the pioneer ones are good, if you like the format.

for reference, when I sold my stages I bought a power2max. that was november of 2015. have put about 10k miles on it since then. just changed the battery for the second time.

Tags
power meter, stages