Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-27-2017, 11:37 AM

non-aero cable routing on Campy brake levers

Hi all,
I have a set of those old Campy brake levers that can apparently be set up for aero or non-aero routing. Like these, only my hoods are white:

I don't have the fulcrum/shim conversion thingies that you're supposed to put in the slots to rout the cable aero style, but don't care because I want them non-aero.
The only problem is, without something in the slot, the cable stop barrel slides from side to side (as the slots run almost horizontally). Engaging the levers makes the barrel slide sideways in the slot, giving practically zero cable travel down at the brakes, thus no braking power.
Took it to a shop and they suggested a piece was missing. Everywhere I read, though, the fulcrums are only supposedly needed for aero routing, and nothing additional should be needed for non-aero routing (most people have the opposite problem since they want to run aero).
Other posts with the same predicament here:
http://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vi...er-set-up.html
http://forums.roadbikereview.com/ret...ro-157971.html
In the second post, someone concluded that the levers will only work aero, but then why would the hoods on mine have holes in the top with plugs in them?
Anyone here have experience with these things? OP?
If I can't get these levers to work non-aero then they'll be up for sale.
Old 07-27-2017, 12:35 PM

I don't believe those are the dual cable routing aero/non-aero levers. The dual cable routing levers look like this:

As far as the holes in the hoods, it is likely that the same hoods could be used are replacement parts for multiples styles of levers, either aero or non-aero routed.
Old 07-27-2017, 04:36 PM
il Curmudgeoni

I have a pair of those that I'm using non-aero. I think that the piece that goes in there for aero routing would keep the barrel from moving but I didn't have them so I came up with my own fix.

I purchased a piece of Kydex on eBay, cut out a strip the width of the opening and about 1.5 times the length of the slot. I heated it and folded both ends back over themselves; once I inserted it into the slot I then heated it a bit more and moved the folded parts back towards the ends to hold it in place. I did this over a year ago and I haven't had any problems with it yet.

It's hard to get a pic of what I did but this should give you an idea.

Old 07-27-2017, 08:33 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
I don't believe those are the dual cable routing aero/non-aero levers. The dual cable routing levers look like this:

As far as the holes in the hoods, it is likely that the same hoods could be used are replacement parts for multiples styles of levers, either aero or non-aero routed.
What he said. You don't have slots for the ramps, only the stop for the cable end and those are aero only. Leftover hoods with holes and plugs.
Old 07-28-2017, 06:51 AM

Thanks Mark and OP for that info, and to choke for the workaround suggestion.
I'd try to work around it, but might just sell them and get the right levers for non-aero routing.
For selling purposes though, would like to ID them properly. I wonder if they're actually these Chorus ones from 1993: http://velobase.com/ViewComponent.as...=118&AbsPos=30
I'll put up some pics of the actual levers.
Old 07-28-2017, 07:20 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayomatic View Post
Thanks Mark and OP for that info, and to choke for the workaround suggestion.
I'd try to work around it, but might just sell them and get the right levers for non-aero routing.
For selling purposes though, would like to ID them properly. I wonder if they're actually these Chorus ones from 1993: http://velobase.com/ViewComponent.as...=118&AbsPos=30
I'll put up some pics of the actual levers.
Without the knurled knob on the side(pic on post #4), Record, from 1993 until they stopped making them in favor of Carbon. Never were 'Chorus'..used 'Record' for Chorus...Athena and Veloce small differences(Athena had plastic body, for instance)...Aero only.

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 07-28-2017 at 07:22 AM.
Old 07-28-2017, 07:52 PM

veloclasique has the internal part to run aero in those levers just in case anybody needs one.
Old 07-29-2017, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraman6970 View Post
veloclasique has the internal part to run aero in those levers just in case anybody needs one.
Do you have a link, looked however could not find them?
Old 07-29-2017, 12:45 AM

You have to call wayne at veloclasique (540) 338-8376...

Their website doesnt list even a half of what is there... I know he has those things because we were talking about it last year and is not that a lot of people ask for those little thingys too often, he should have still some moving around... If you need more parts to complete your C group. ask... one stop shop..