Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-20-2017, 11:09 AM

dual pivot short reach calipers with the most clearance?

so I'm dealing with the image below on my bike. I have about 2mm of clearance at the brake bridge and slightly more at the fork, using an Enve 2.0. I'd like to squeeze a bit more out of the rear if possible. it looks like the pads on the 6800 calipers could go down another 5mm, making me wish the brake bridge had been welded higher. but oh well... there's certainly more room to go though as larger tires hit the calipers before they hit the bridge.

so far, I've tried Force 22, Tiagra 4500 and Ultegra 6800 calipers. the latter two offer the most room so far. what other options are out there that might offer more? maybe something from TRP?

Old 04-20-2017, 11:14 AM
aka RAEKWON

I had plenty of clearance with campy brakes, just got some of those generic campy brakes and the brake clears almost as much (maybe even as much) as the fork or the bridge. People were saying that these had tons of clearance and they were right, plenty.

and they were like $60 shipped.
Old 04-20-2017, 11:37 AM
Member?

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/fo...29750#p1110107

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showth...=160790&page=2
Old 04-20-2017, 12:01 PM

To state the obvious - the issue isn't one of room with a given brake but that the brake bridge is lower than optimal.

Given that the location of the bridge isn't easily changed you are of course looking for the brake with the least amount of stuff between the two fixed points - the brake bridge hole and the outer surface of the tire.

Given all that obvious stuff I'd say the newest Shimano brakes, both Ultegra and DA, have the least mount of stuff between the mounting hole and the tire. I could be wrong and some other brand might give more room but from my experience the newest Shimano gives the most room.

dave
Old 04-20-2017, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kirk View Post
To state the obvious - the issue isn't one of room with a given brake but that the brake bridge is lower than optimal.
absolutely. the frame was designed with space for up to 27mm Pave's on Hed H2 rims and these are 28mm's on H2's. it's even worse when I run 28's on SL23's. it's not a custom frame so it's not like I asked for room for this combo and didn't get it. I'm just trying to see if it's possible to run a bit higher than 27mm's on it. especially since the Pave is now discontinued.
Old 04-20-2017, 10:48 PM

I've got mostly Sram Red and Campy on my bikes. But to gain some clearance on a Pegoretti, I went to ultegra brakes.
Old 04-21-2017, 02:28 AM

Don't know if this has been an issue for any of y'all, and I don't know what the newer Shimanos Mr. Kirk referred to are like, but I found I couldn't get 7700 calipers to open up wide enough to let a larger tire in and out. Not with their QR open, not with the QR on the brake lever open too, not with the cable disconnected -- just not gonna happen. (Challenge Strada Bianca/H+Son TB14.)

I tried a Centaur dual-pivot and it offered plenty of room. But not wanting to anger the gods by putting Campy brakes on a Shimano bike, I broke out the belt sander and made a special set of extra-thin brake pads which allow me to pop the wheels off easily. Guess I have to check 'em for wear every year, instead of every two... I'll put up with that.

Doubtless there are other strategies, but the opening-upnitude of any given brake may be another factor you want to consider.
Old 04-21-2017, 12:06 PM

it's also possible I'm over-thinking this. I rode with a guy on a Cervelo S5 last night, who's been on it for a few years now. clearance is tight, sure. but seems to work OK...

Old 04-21-2017, 12:42 PM
Riding Along

If you use a longer brake nut and a 3-5mm spacer between the brake and the brake bridge you will get more clearance.
Old 04-21-2017, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Dog View Post
If you use a longer brake nut and a 3-5mm spacer between the brake and the brake bridge you will get more clearance.
This works to give slightly more clearance. A brake change can't give more clearance than a brake bridge allows. Same with fork clearance.
Old 04-20-2017, 11:18 AM

Here's standard / short reach Rival caliper on a Corsa 01 with 28 mm Gravel Kings on CXP33 rims. Plenty of room; can go up to 30 mm and have plenty of clearance.

Old 04-20-2017, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
I had plenty of clearance with campy brakes, just got some of those generic campy brakes and the brake clears almost as much (maybe even as much) as the fork or the bridge.
hmm... but I have a Sram group on this bike and I think I'd be breaking all sorts of forum by-laws, using Campy with Sram. and I'd have no quick release.
Old 04-20-2017, 04:37 PM

Here's a good blog post about clearance on some different calipers.

http://blackmtncycles.com/clearance-pt-ii-road-frames/
Old 04-20-2017, 06:55 PM

Have a very tight rear brake bridge on my Eddy Merckx strada, the shimano BR-5800 calipers clear above the bridge.

-- Dan
Old 04-20-2017, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monarchguy View Post
Have a very tight rear brake bridge on my Eddy Merckx strada, the shimano BR-5800 calipers clear above the bridge.
THAT'S what I was hoping to hear. cheap enough that they're worth trying out too.