Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-13-2016, 06:48 AM

This (all this) is nutz!
Carry on.....
Old 12-13-2016, 06:52 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpediemracing View Post
I wonder if the dealer will let you drive a courtesy car for a few days.

If it's a month or two, that's a different story. You probably have to rent or reschedule.
Gotta a call in to find out when the car I want will be in. They 'say' mid to late January..I'm thinkin the buy-back/turn in has to be after the new car is there.

I can make a deposit to hold, then wait till appt, then just give them a check I'm guessing. I can tell the dealer isn't thrilled about all this but they seem happy I want to stay with a VW..which I do.
Old 12-13-2016, 06:54 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutgallery View Post
I would not attempt to reschedule the appointment, you get thrown back into the asylum that just escaped. Difficult to manage and communicate once you're this far in. I remember seeing that you were working with a dealer for a GSW, how big is the gap? I'm mooching a car for a weekend and then taking the train to pick one up.

Look thru the tdi forums in the dieselgate section, there are numerous threads about this
Turn in is the 12th, dealer says car there mid to late January. I need to go in and talk to the guy face to face.
Old 12-13-2016, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Turn in is the 12th, dealer says car there mid to late January. I need to go in and talk to the guy face to face.
If you reschedule, you'll most likely be bumped out 2-3 weeks at most. You said that you weren't in a hurry. I'd reschedule through the portal, turn the car in, sign the papers on the GSW, and either loan yourself the difference, or come back in a few days when the buyback funds clear the bank.
Old 12-13-2016, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter P. View Post
Oh, one more snag regarding my sister's VW and the buyback program.

CT has an emissions testing program. If you fail, you have 30 days to make repairs and retest. You have to pay for the retest; I think it's ten or twenty bucks. And don't forget the late fees.

Supposedly, the VW will not pass emissions due to VW's evil program, and until they provide a fix, my sister's car will continue to fail emissions, and she'll be on the hook for the monthly retest fees. And don't try to skip the test because she'll be responsible for the late fees as well.

Is there a workaround for this? Sounds like a Catch-22 with the VW dealer having her by the ovaries to make a deal.
Your sister is either misinformed or sold a bag of goods. She has nothing to worry about when it comes to her TDI emissions and inspections. In New England, they only test for OBD codes, and check under the hood for obvious modifications. No mods, no codes, you pass. That said, even if CT decided to go postal on Pruitt and enact their own diesel tailpipe testing program, they are prohibited under the terms of the buyback agreement to hold TDI vehicles to a higher standard than what was agreed to in the settlement, otherwise they will have to give back the money they accepted from VW. Not gonna happen.

She has nothing to worry about. If she wants to keep the car, though, there are currently no approved fixes. There may never be any approved fixes. She has until 9/2018 to decide whether to keep the car and do nothing (and get nothing), do the fix, or do the buyback. She cannot "try" the fix, change her mind, and do the buyback later.
Old 12-13-2016, 07:19 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelhd View Post
If you reschedule, you'll most likely be bumped out 2-3 weeks at most. You said that you weren't in a hurry. I'd reschedule through the portal, turn the car in, sign the papers on the GSW, and either loan yourself the difference, or come back in a few days when the buyback funds clear the bank.
Yup, what I'm thinking, thanks.
Old 12-13-2016, 07:20 AM

My TDI experience has come to a close - I chose the EFT option. Buyback completed at 2:30PM Friday, got the email from Chase bank last night at like 7:00PM or something - set up an account and input all my banking info, cash is pending in my Bank of America account this morning.

By the end of the week, we'll be $16,000 closer to paying off student loan debt!
Old 12-13-2016, 07:22 AM

That's a great choice. Student loan interest is for all intents and purposes predatory lending. 6.5% these days? Sallie Mae should be in jail. But I digress. Congrats on getting this over with.
Old 12-13-2016, 07:28 AM

Quote:
That's a great choice. Student loan interest is for all intents and purposes predatory lending. 6.5% these days? Sallie Mae should be in jail. But I digress. Congrats on getting this over with.
Agreed. Had the epiphany a month or two ago. So I borrowed the full $23K for my new car at 2.25% for 5 years and paid off $16K of student debt at about 5.5% for 15 years... no brainer. By the time I get my annual bonus next March I should have the missus' debt paid down.
Old 12-13-2016, 07:31 AM

There is hope for the millenials.
Old 12-13-2016, 07:34 AM

Quote:
There is hope for the millenials.
I'm not entirely sure about that, while I may technically qualify with a 1981 birth year I do not see a lot of good money skills/work ethic in most of the kids coming into the work place of late. Helps that I'm a CPA also.
Old 12-13-2016, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter P. View Post
CT has an emissions testing program. If you fail, you have 30 days to make repairs and retest. You have to pay for the retest; I think it's ten or twenty bucks. And don't forget the late fees.

Supposedly, the VW will not pass emissions due to VW's evil program, and until they provide a fix, my sister's car will continue to fail emissions, and she'll be on the hook for the monthly retest fees. And don't try to skip the test because she'll be responsible for the late fees as well.

Is there a workaround for this? Sounds like a Catch-22 with the VW dealer having her by the ovaries to make a deal.
Everything I've read on the VW forums indicates that's false. The cars pass the emissions tests (because they cheat!). Any VW TDI's that have failed other than those with actual mechanical issues have failed because the owners did not respond to the earlier emissions-related recall.
Old 12-13-2016, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by palincss View Post
Everything I've read on the VW forums indicates that's false. The cars pass the emissions tests (because they cheat!). Any VW TDI's that have failed other than those with actual mechanical issues have failed because the owners did not respond to the earlier emissions-related recall.
Only in states that scan the VIN and look for emissions recalls to have been applied. No New England state does that as far as I know, and even if they did, they could not deny registration due to what I described above.
Old 12-13-2016, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Only in states that scan the VIN and look for emissions recalls to have been applied. No New England state does that as far as I know, and even if they did, they could not deny registration due to what I described above.
My wife's sister tried to tell her all the same crap. Also told her she bought a terrible car because of the scandal/recall. I had a big lollerskates on that, and we'll walk away with $8k, plus the $1k we already got last year so and then pick up a new Golf Sportwagen for $16k
Old 12-13-2016, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .RJ View Post
new Golf Sportwagen for $16k
how do i get a new sportwagen for 16k?

Tags
autoscam, boring threads