Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-17-2017, 09:57 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by jet sanchez View Post
Sorry for bumping an old thread but I was wondering if anyone is using a Shimano 11 speed chain with a Campagnolo 10 speed drive-train?

Friend says it works for him, wondering what the Paceline crew think.
It'll work fine. Least expensive compatible cogset and chains.. 5800 cogset a and chains work great.
Old 07-17-2017, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nags&Ducs View Post
Great question! I guess the reason is that I need a quick disconnect link since its for my S&S coupled bike and I assumed that the quick links were specifically for the respective chain. If one of the quick links from IRD, KMC, or Wippermann work on Campy chains without issue, I'd get a Chorus 10 chain. Thanks DRZMN!
You remove the chain? I pull my cranks, but never the chain. Just kind of wrap it up & secure it to the frame. Of course, mine is stainless steel, so frame damage is not really a concern.

Last edited by makoti; 07-17-2017 at 11:57 AM.
Old 07-17-2017, 11:49 AM

xxx
Old 07-17-2017, 04:07 PM

Chain??? ultra likes kmc 11 speed ones for 10 speed drivetrains :P Silent.
Old 07-17-2017, 04:36 PM

Another vote for KMC (although I haven't personally tried Wippermans..). I have one on my cross bike so it sees abuse quite often. No surface rust (which can be easily cleaned off anyways), never snapped, shifts well, quite, and I take the link off rather often to do a deep clean of the chain and have zero issues in the past 4/5 years I've doing this.
Old 07-17-2017, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nags&Ducs View Post
Great question! I guess the reason is that I need a quick disconnect link since its for my S&S coupled bike and I assumed that the quick links were specifically for the respective chain. If one of the quick links from IRD, KMC, or Wippermann work on Campy chains without issue, I'd get a Chorus 10 chain. Thanks DRZMN!
KMC makes a link specifically for the Campy 10S Chain. I buy 'em 6 at a time on a card. They work perfectly well and the Campy chain really does shift better than anything else I've tried.
Old 07-17-2017, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragamuffin View Post
Another vote for KMC (although I haven't personally tried Wippermans..). I have one on my cross bike so it sees abuse quite often. No surface rust (which can be easily cleaned off anyways), never snapped, shifts well, quite, and I take the link off rather often to do a deep clean of the chain and have zero issues in the past 4/5 years I've doing this.
I too recommend KMC. In our house, we have 15 bikes between 2 adults and 2 kids both mtb and road/cross drivetrains. I run KMC 11sl on all the bikes from 8, 9, 10, 11sp, Campy, Shimano, and Sram drivetrains without issues. I run the same 11SL chains across the board solely because the missing link and I only have to stock 1 chain part in my parts bin-It makes maintenance easier. Sram went to a non-reusable link as did Shimano with the pin a few years ago. I stopped running Shimano chains several years ago as I was breaking them (suspension design-mtb). Campy required one to buy a $100+ chain tool which deterred me and believe me I love tools but only 1 Campy drivetrain. I usually buy a bundle of chains from KMC at SeaOtter for a really good deal.

Only difference between 8/9/10/11sp is the width of the links (not the length)
Old 07-17-2017, 09:24 PM

U can put a 10 speed chain all the way from 7 speed to 11... at 11 will be little noisy but it will work just fine. Never tried 11 chain in 8 or 9 speed but i do not see why it wont work.
Old 07-18-2017, 08:24 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraman6970 View Post
U can put a 10 speed chain all the way from 7 speed to 11... at 11 will be little noisy but it will work just fine. Never tried 11 chain in 8 or 9 speed but i do not see why it wont work.
Won't work because some systems, like shimano, don't overshift then center, like Campag, does. It relies on the next cog grabbing the chain and bringing it onto the cog. If the chain is too narrow, it won't shift, period.

PLUS, like unscented toilet paper, 9s is more expensive than 8s, 10s is more expensive than 9s..etc...least expensive compatible chain..got 10 cogs in back? Use a 10s chain, a well made, but inexpensive one..9s? 9s chain, etc..