Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-29-2010, 08:56 AM
formerly Landshark_98

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemship
I also agree with Victoryfactory, the paint jobs love em or hate em certainly are the most standout feature to his bikes, don't get me wrong his design and craftsmanship is great but with so many artisan steel offerings to chose from...
Until you ride one. Sure the paint is part of the gestalt but when I'm on my Marcelo its not the paint that puts a smile on my face.
Old 08-29-2010, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk007
Until you ride one. Sure the paint is part of the gestalt but when I'm on my Marcelo its not the paint that puts a smile on my face.

I passed one uphill yesterday, I was going to compliment the pilot on his wheels in between breaths but he cut me off with, "you caught me napping and I hate being passed."

I guess now it's about the bike?
Old 08-29-2010, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcteague
I guess I am missing the point here. Very little about his frames in this video. Where is the framebuilding?
Tim
One should keep in mind who commissioned the film: Rapha.

Rapha isn't about the bike. It's about the (perceived) lifestyle. I would say that this film fits in perfectly with the Rapha ethos.

Texbike
Old 08-29-2010, 04:26 PM
slow, but working on it.

I liked it. If it was longer I would have even popped some popcorn.

You know the film I really want to see? A film about a guy who's worked 45 years welding Walmart bikes in China and how he views his craft.
Old 08-29-2010, 08:49 PM
#bottlestorage

Quote:
I guess I am missing the point here. Very little about his frames in this video. I don't even think it was well produced. Dark images and poor sub-titling. Dario sure seems passionate but he also seems a bit unfocused. Lots of cussing and smoking and eating. Where is the frame building? And, after having just gone through cancer treatment he is still smoking.

So, he appears to be thinking about quitting and still smokes. Better get those Pegs while you can.

Tim

I think we all have misperceptions about people. We have mental images of how we think they are, but the truth is that our dentists, teachers, doctors, bike shop owners etc. have imperfections too...Cussing, smoking, womanizing, cheating, abusive, drinking, sexual procliitvies, unfocused...what combination do you think they are?

I really enjoyed watching the video...I am intrigued by flawed men (being one myself) and I found humor in his TREATS t-shirt and the baloon anology.
Old 08-29-2010, 08:56 PM
#bottlestorage

Mispost

Last edited by rugbysecondrow; 08-30-2010 at 07:03 AM.
Old 08-30-2010, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugbysecondrow
I think we all have misperceptions about people. We have mental images of how we think they are, but the truth is that our dentists, teachers, doctors, bike shop owners etc. have imperfections too...Cussing, smoking, womanizing, cheating, abusive, drinking, sexual procliitvies, unfocused...what combination do you think they are?

I really enjoyed watching the video...I am intrigued by flawed men (being one myself) and I found humor in his TREATS t-shirt and the baloon anology.
I really didn't have any preconceptions about the man. For a video about the art of steel I sort of expected something about the frames and frame building. What I got was lots of bitching and moaning between employer and staff. All I knew about him personally was that he had cancer. He still smokes so I guess that brush with death did not deter him.

However, looking at his paint jobs, I assumed he was a bit of a free spirit.

Tim
Old 08-30-2010, 07:26 AM
Post Mod-ern

Only . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugbysecondrow
..Cussing, smoking, womanizing, cheating, abusive, drinking, sexual procliitvies, unfocused...
. . . my local HandleBra dealer has all these characteristics!

Except the "abusive" part. Does yelling at me for crashing and scratching the HandleBra on the bike count as "abuse?"

BBD
A thing of beauty is a joy forever--Keats
Old 08-30-2010, 07:37 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumbleBeeDave
. . . my local HandleBra dealer has all these characteristics!

Except the "abusive" part. Does yelling at me for crashing and scratching the HandleBra on the bike count as "abuse?"

BBD

He hires out for that.

William
Old 08-30-2010, 07:41 AM

I enjoyed the film but I must say Pegoretti seems to enjoy being an "artist" of his craft as opposed to Serotta where everything is machined to exactness.

I would really like to own a Pegoretti but feel they are overpriced (meaning I can't afford one) but then again you're buying the "artist" as much as the bike itself and probably a good investment.
Yes I do like his paint.
Old 08-30-2010, 07:44 AM

could everyone with absolutely no self-destructive facets to his or her respective life please raise their hand?
Old 08-30-2010, 08:03 AM
#bottlestorage

Quote:
I really didn't have any preconceptions about the man. For a video about the art of steel I sort of expected something about the frames and frame building. What I got was lots of bitching and moaning between employer and staff. All I knew about him personally was that he had cancer. He still smokes so I guess that brush with death did not deter him.

However, looking at his paint jobs, I assumed he was a bit of a free spirit.

Tim
If there was a film about Picasso's paintings, I would not expect a documentary outline brush strokes and paint selection...the artist is the frame and visa versa. Couple that artist flair with performance and you have the opportunity for perfection. I guess I didn't expect a "how they build that" film. I actually thought the machining, the flux ( is that what was bubbling under the torch)was cool to see. I really enjoyed it.

Last edited by rugbysecondrow; 08-30-2010 at 08:06 AM.
Old 08-31-2010, 06:42 AM

I would raise my hand, but then I'd slosh my drink and that would put out my cigarette....