Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-22-2024, 07:35 AM

Ekar or Chorus

I’m considering building up a gravel bike.
Being a lifelong Campyphile…what would the preference be. Ekar, or Chorus?
I understand Ekar is designed for gravel, but I’m just wondering if it makes more sense to have the double chainring ring for more gearing options, especially with the 48/32 option.
I’m not interested in electronic either, only want mechanical for this bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-22-2024, 07:43 AM

Chorus has a lowest possible ratio of 32x34, which actually isn’t super low. It’s definitely pretty low but for challenging gravel climbing you may not find it low enough. I would definitely take that into consideration. Also, with a 2x12 setup there are multiple near duplicated ratios.

I’d probably sit down with gear ratio calculators with the various Ekar chainring and cassette options to assist with this decision.

My gravel bike has a lowest ratio of 31x34 and it gets used in places. Just be cognizant of the limits of the lower ratios on the Chorus setup.
Old 03-22-2024, 07:49 AM
Administrator

If you’re new to gravel; the only way to go about it is to build something up and just start riding and figure out what is and isn’t working for your riding style, fitness and terrain.

Most non elites prefer very low gearing if you get into steeper or longer grades.
Old 03-22-2024, 07:52 AM

The lack of clutch in the chorus rear derailleur is something to consider if riding bumpy terrain.
Old 03-22-2024, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likes2ridefar View Post
The lack of clutch in the chorus rear derailleur is something to consider if riding bumpy terrain.
This^
My Ekar has much less chain slap than my 2x Potenza or Centaur.
Old 03-22-2024, 08:40 AM

As always, it depends. I just went through the same decision, but I'm building a gravel bike as more of a do-it-all road/trail bike.

I chose Chorus mostly because I like how it looks, and I find the hoods a little more comfortable. It's possible that hood comfort is just a rationalization so that I don't need to admit it's only about cosmetics.

32/48x11-34 suits me fine, but most anything suits me fine. I'm a casual putt-around rider.

While I don't endorse choosing bikes and components based on looks, it's worked for me for decades.

A useless reply from me I admit, and Ekar probably makes more sense.

Last edited by feynman; 03-22-2024 at 09:23 AM.
Old 03-22-2024, 08:51 AM

I use Ekar, and with the 13 in the back, I have never felt I was losing anything. I'm never going so fast I spin out, so that's not an issue. I have a lower than 1:1 gear, so that's not an issue. There are enough cogs to minimize gear jumps, so that's not an issue.

The only reason I can see for a 2x is that you are used to it.

Last edited by makoti; 03-22-2024 at 01:11 PM.
Old 03-22-2024, 09:18 AM

small ad: I have an Ekar groupset that I believe has very few miles on it, that i picked up in the classifieds from Ryun, that I won't end up needing so will likely be posting soon, for probably $750 shipped. Might make an attractive option to take the plunge on it.
Old 03-22-2024, 09:24 AM

Campyphile here as well.

But… I’ve become agnostic when it comes to crankset choices. IME 46/30 just works so well for bikes that will get both road and ‘gravel’ use.

If the bike is for gravel/off-road use alone, I would probably do Ekar. The simplicity and lower gearing would outweigh the big gearing gaps that are necessitated by 1x drivetrains. And you get the clutched RD.
Old 03-22-2024, 09:40 AM

Ridden Campagnolo forever. On my road bikes I have chorus or record. I bought a gravel bike and have 1X Ekar on it. Never ridden 1X and never ridden disc before, but I'm really happy with Ekar's performance off road, and it's pretty nice on road as well. I'd go Ekar on a gravel bike.
Old 03-22-2024, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntb1001 View Post
I’m considering building up a gravel bike.
Being a lifelong Campyphile…what would the preference be. Ekar, or Chorus?
I understand Ekar is designed for gravel, but I’m just wondering if it makes more sense to have the double chainring ring for more gearing options, especially with the 48/32 option.
I’m not interested in electronic either, only want mechanical for this bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So, when I got my gravel bike back in 2022, I was in the same boat. I had planned to go the Chorus route - I did not want to be tied to a new hub or 13 speed system.

With that said, the shop gave me the option of trying EKAR and if I did not like it, they would switch it out with Chorus.

Two years later and I am still running EKAR. It is fantastic. The single ring works great and the gear range and spacing of the rear cassette is perfect for every situation - I ride everywhere from the flatlands to the mountains and have had no issues the the 40t front ring and 9-42 rear cassette.
Old 03-22-2024, 01:35 PM

I have run both. I built a Parlee Chebacco with Chorus 48/32 and 11-34. The bike was sufficient for all but the steepest grades and still had a great range for pavement.

I tried Ekar and it was pretty good as well. It still has smaller jumps on one end and you can go wider range depending on the cassette and ring combo you choose. The clutch for rough and rowdy stuff is beneficial as well.

It really depends on your terrain and intended riding for the bike. Both are pretty good. The Ekar is simpler and still relatively efficient while the Chorus is pretty good for both road and most dirt road/gravel situations.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
Old 03-23-2024, 06:50 AM

I find the choice is often regional and depends on the amount of versatility you expect from the bike.
Looks like we're in the same region. I typically ride to the trails and appreciate a bike with gearing that works in a paceline as well as on single track and steep stuff.
I've ridden 1X and always go back to 2X for its significantly better range of gears. You get the range, but don't need to tolerate the gaps.
Old 03-23-2024, 07:55 AM

I've had Ekar for a couple years now. If you plan on actually riding it on gravel, I'd go with Ekar. The thumb shifter is great on rough terrain. No worry about dropping a chain with a fd shift. I use 42T with a 9-42, which is perfect for me.
Old 03-23-2024, 08:25 AM
Two wheels good

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonaSovereign View Post
I find the choice is often regional and depends on the amount of versatility you expect from the bike.
Looks like we're in the same region. I typically ride to the trails and appreciate a bike with gearing that works in a paceline as well as on single track and steep stuff.
I've ridden 1X and always go back to 2X for its significantly better range of gears. You get the range, but don't need to tolerate the gaps.
2X for the win!