Builder's Spotlight The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Image Gallery > Production Bikes

Old 06-09-2015, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegoready View Post
This sounds horrible. Would be a dealbreaker for me after the first incident. Sorry, don't mean to derail a thread of a nice bike, but yikes.
Other way to look at it is that the design and aesthetics (those lovely etched stainless dropouts) force you to use the best QR on the market.
Old 06-16-2015, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4funbikes View Post
Great looking bike. DT shifters are hard to beat.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeatnik View Post
My only complaint about my Cielo Sportif Classic. I've had so many incidents of rear wheel slippage. First experienced the dreaded locked rear wheel on a super steep ramp/driveway. First thought, "I've killed my RD!" That incident occurred on a group ride and even though I was able to adjust the wheel, it kept slipping every 100ft after(had to call for a ride home.) I've also had it slip at the start of a gravel race (forgot about the rear QR on the pre ride checklist). The most life threatening slippage occurred at the bottom of a hill I was bombing. After accelerating into the intersection at the bottom of the hill, where the signal had just turned green, I was coasting and then suddenly my drivetrain locked as I put down the power. Bike came to a stop in the middle of the intersection. That was a little scary.

Anyhoo, here are the QRs I've had luck with:

Record- least amount of clamping force required, best performance
DA- almost as good as record
The nice Mavics- almost feel like I can't trust these since they have to be manhandled but havent had any slippage
Velocity (the ones that come with the nicer hubs)- if you clamp down to within an inch of their lives, the wheel will stay put.

Useless QRs:
The cheap Mavic one
Those anodized weight weenie deals (KCNC)
So I'm not the only one.

You know, even with Dura Ace 7800 skewers cranked down as hard as I could it'd still slip. Given, not much and thankfully never enough to lock up on me like you had, but still it'd slip enough to bring the rear wheel off center. The bolt on Halo ones are working well now though. I guess that's just the way it'll have to be for me and this bike. A small sacrifice in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegoready View Post
This sounds horrible. Would be a dealbreaker for me after the first incident. Sorry, don't mean to derail a thread of a nice bike, but yikes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeatnik View Post
Other way to look at it is that the design and aesthetics (those lovely etched stainless dropouts) force you to use the best QR on the market.
I'm with beeatnik on this one -- the stainless dropout are just sooo choice. If they limit my skewer selection so be it, I can deal with that.
Old 05-23-2016, 12:22 PM

Been a while -- I've had this bike in various states of assembly over the last few months. Since I finished building my latest All-City it's been my go to geared bike so the Cielo has been sitting waiting.

Latest, updated version of the bike includes:
  • Swapped the seat post for a black Paul Comp w/ the custom orange topper
  • Swapped to a Dura Ace 7800 crank
  • Paul comp orange canti levers
  • Paul comp orange touring cantis in the rear
  • Paul comp orange mini-moto in the front
  • Swapped the cambium saddle out in favor of a Fizik Antares

I also toyed with a couple new bar options... First was a set of Albatross bars:

However, the Albatross just didn't do it for me on this bike. So it came off in favor of a set of Sycip Singles bars. So far I'm really pleased with this setup on the bike.

Planning on changing out the stem soon for one 20-30mm longer but other than that I think it'll stay this way for the foreseeable future. Well, except for maybe swapping the 28mm Panaracers for something more like 32...

PS - yes, I know the brake line housings in front are overly long. Once I have everything all settled and final on this iteration with the longer stem, etc. they'll get trimmed to a more appropriate length.

Last edited by Cameron; 05-26-2016 at 11:42 PM.
Old 05-24-2016, 09:48 PM

Cielo Cross Classic

Nice. Rolling in style.

Is the sweepback on Sycip bars a bit less than the Albatross?
Old 05-25-2016, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastashop View Post
Nice. Rolling in style.

Is the sweepback on Sycip bars a bit less than the Albatross?
Thanks!

Yeah, the Sycip bars are less swept back and less swoopy overall. Much more comfortable for me on this bike. Plus I think it just looks better too. I trimmed a few CM off the ends to narrow it a little and put my hands in a more natural feeling position as well.

A nice surprise for me after swapping out the drop bars was realizing it didn't slow me down one bit. I have been clocking pretty much identical commute times on this bike with the new Sycip bars as I did with drop bars. Bonus!

More info here: http://store.somafab.com/sysibar.html

Last edited by Cameron; 05-25-2016 at 01:03 AM.
Old 05-25-2016, 04:00 PM

Since I had pics from above of both bar setups I made this for reference comparing the sweep/shape of the Nitto Albatross and the Sycip Singles bars:

Last edited by Cameron; 05-25-2016 at 04:02 PM.
Old 05-25-2016, 05:34 PM
needs adult supervision

Love the orange accents. Particularly the seatpost clamp. Awesome touch. You've really thought this through!
Old 05-25-2016, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climb01742 View Post
Love the orange accents. Particularly the seatpost clamp. Awesome touch. You've really thought this through!
Thanks

I'll tell you, all those orange parts were rather hard to gather! The headset/rear hub no problem since I bought those direct from CK when I bought the Cielo. The orange spoke nipples came from Sugar Wheel Works when they built the rear wheel for me.

The Paul Components orange stuff though was a little tougher. Back a couple years ago Paul did a "color of the month" thing and I had them do the seatpost clamp special for me then. I didn't opt for anything else from them at the time since I already had polished Paul Canti brakes.

A few months ago though Paul Comp posted that they still had a few stragglers of different parts in different colors. They had a set of orange touring cantis and the canti levers so I pulled the trigger on those. A few weeks after that I got oddly lucky and found the orange Paul Comp Mini-Moto for the front on eBay that was from the original color of the month thing. Bought it off a dude in New Zealand.

And actually, I have in my possession a now discontinued Paul Comp mountain crankset in orange with the very shortly made 1x chainring. I somehow scored that on eBay too. Only reason it's not on this bike already is that it has a 36t chainring on it. It did come with a second chainring in black, but same 36t count. Since Paul doesn't make the 1x chainrings at all anymore I'm stuck with 36t. I'd be 100% fine with running this bike 1x10 but for non-offroad riding 36t is just too small I think. We'll see.

Last edited by Cameron; 05-25-2016 at 06:00 PM.
Old 05-25-2016, 07:10 PM

Cielo Cross Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron View Post
Since I had pics from above of both bar setups I made this for reference comparing the sweep/shape of the Nitto Albatross and the Sycip Singles bars:

Now, THAT is a good comparison. I guess it's Albatross > Sycip / Jones > Ahearne / MAP / Jitensha in order of decreasing sweep-back?..
Old 07-20-2016, 03:24 PM

Still loving it setup with the singles bars -- so much fun just cruising on it. Is it silly to have this bike set up with full Dura Ace and upright bars? Maybe, but it sure is fun

Old 07-20-2016, 03:29 PM

bad ass!
Old 07-20-2016, 03:31 PM

Dope. I think that new 'singles' bar has the nicest bend.
Old 07-29-2016, 05:01 PM

I learned last month the CKing is no longer making the Cross Classic. That's a model that will surely be missed.
Old 08-04-2016, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbnm View Post
bad ass!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbadge View Post
Dope. I think that new 'singles' bar has the nicest bend.
I really like them -- feels natural and looks good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermo View Post
I learned last month the CKing is no longer making the Cross Classic. That's a model that will surely be missed.
Yeah, bummer for sure. I'd guess there was too much cross-over/similarity between the Cross Classic and the Sportif Classic. When I ordered mine, they still called it the Sportif Classic but I noticed a while ago they changed it simply to the Sportif. No more "classic" moniker I guess.
Old 08-04-2016, 04:45 PM
aka RAEKWON

is that a fairweather stem?

huuhhhhhh I want one so bad.

Bike looks great, my buddy got a Cielo from the forum here and its seriously nice, level of detail and paint is amazing.