Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Image Gallery > Production Bikes

Old 08-20-2014, 05:48 PM

Love the Cielo

Looks great, enjoy. What weight?
Old 08-20-2014, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcolmK View Post
Looks great, enjoy. What weight?
Thanks, not a clue about weight. Smiles per mile are a higher priority than weight on this bike for me if ya know what I mean!
Old 08-21-2014, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron View Post
Thanks, not a clue about weight. Smiles per mile are a higher priority than weight on this bike for me if ya know what I mean!
Haha, I'm gonna use this next time someone asks that about my Classic Racer.
Old 08-21-2014, 12:19 PM

Quote:
The smiles per mile ratio is pretty high on Cielo.

Interestingly enough, my Sportif Classic weighed about 22.5 pounds with Athena 11 and 32H Archetypes laced to Record Hubs. I also had the first version of the Black Inc Evo and that sucker weighed 12 pounds. I'd ride the bikes on alternate days and both were sublime rides. Once on the road, hardly noticed the 10 pound weight difference.
Old 08-21-2014, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeatnik View Post
The smiles per mile ratio is pretty high on Cielo.
For sure!

Really, my Cielo isn't a heavyweight by any means. It's heavier than my All City Mr. Pink 1 x 10 but that's about as scientific as I plan on getting with weight.
Old 10-06-2014, 11:58 AM

It's been so beautiful here in the NW these last few days - the riding has been sublime. Yesterday morning was especially nice:

Old 10-06-2014, 01:07 PM

What tires you currently rocking on that bike?

And how do you like your hard anodized Archtypes? I'm debating the classic high polished silver vs the new school hard anodized that wears after usage...
Old 10-06-2014, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by modernfuturist View Post
What tires you currently rocking on that bike?

And how do you like your hard anodized Archtypes? I'm debating the classic high polished silver vs the new school hard anodized that wears after usage...
The tires on there now are 28mm Panaracer Pasela Tourguards. They've been decently good so far. Not super-duper flat resistant, but much more so than the standard Pasela in my experience. I love that Panaracer offers a decent selection in gum wall. To me this bike needs gumwalls.

These Archetypes are just the black ano ones, not the hard ano ones. I actually had planned to run the dark grey/hard ano on this bike when I built it up but I couldn't find them in 32h for a price I wanted to pay at the time. Picked up the blacks for something like $50/each so that made my decision. I really like the wheels. I like the wide profile and I personally find the shape of the rim to be very handsome and well proportioned. They perform excellently as well, so win all around.

And yeah, the ano does wear off on the brake track but meh, that just means the bike is being ridden!
Old 10-06-2014, 11:46 PM

So, at the moment the wheels on this bike are mis-matched. Rear is CK Cross Classic mango, black spokes, orange alloy nipples and Archetype rim. Front is Paul Comp high flange, silver spokes, black brass nipples and Archetype rim.

Both really nice wheels, and both together give it an oddly nice dis-symetry. These wheels ended up this way for a lot of reasons, but that doesn't matter. I had originally planned on building up a new front wheel with a CK mango hub to make it matchy matchy with the rear. At this point though, I think I would like a not-so-precious wheelset on this bike.

Which is where these come in - the previously mentioned Dura Ace 7800 hubs I picked up. They'll be a wonderful match to the bike I think when matched up with these Paul Comp skewers. Now to decide which rims to build them up with. I am thinking HED Belgium, Pacenti, A23 or Dyad - something wide and quality to match up well with 28mm tires while being sturdy and not overly heavy.

Last edited by Cameron; 10-10-2014 at 04:35 PM.
Old 10-10-2014, 04:34 PM

Another beautiful fall day in Cascadia:
Old 05-29-2015, 12:51 PM

Put this one away for most of the winter in favor of my All City (rain bike) but now it's back out and I'm remembering how much I like it!

I did end up ultimately not using the perfectly matched Paul skewers on the bike sadly. I could not for the life of me get the rear wheel to not slip in the dropout on the drive side (semi-horizontal dropouts on the Cielo Cross Classic). No matter how tight I'd crank the QRs down the rear would still slip. Switched to a Dura Ace QR and still same thing. The inside face of the dropouts on the Cielo have a nice machined textured surface to aid in keeping the wheel in place and with the slight slipping on the one side it was enough to rub a bit of that off where it was slipping, even over only a couple hundred miles of use with QRs. Ultimately ended up switching back to a Halo bolt on skewer and no more slipping. Too bad but oh well.
Old 05-29-2015, 01:17 PM

Quote:
At this point though, I think I would like a not-so-precious wheelset on this bike.

Which is where these come in - the previously mentioned Dura Ace 7800 hubs I picked up. They'll be a wonderful match to the bike I think when matched up with these Paul Comp skewers. Now to decide which rims to build them up with. I am thinking HED Belgium, Pacenti, A23 or Dyad - something wide and quality to match up well with 28mm tires while being sturdy and not overly heavy.

Nice to see this thread come up. Beautiful bike and really like the direction of the build.

If you are still looking to build up those wheels, I do have a lot of time on the A23, Dyad and HED rims. All of them and I suspect the Pacenti included are really nice and would be a good fit.

IMHO if you want to stick to not so precious, my personal recommendation would be the A23 rims. If you want the highest quality and finish, I am a big fan of the C2 rims for road and run the C2+ (25mm) rims for rim brake 29er needs. HED goes that bit extra for strength and finish.

Nice ride!
Old 06-08-2015, 04:06 AM

Great looking bike. DT shifters are hard to beat.
Old 06-09-2015, 11:06 AM

Read that the stainless is so hard in the dropout that QRs dont bite down

Quote:
I did end up ultimately not using the perfectly matched Paul skewers on the bike sadly. I could not for the life of me get the rear wheel to not slip in the dropout on the drive side (semi-horizontal dropouts on the Cielo Cross Classic). No matter how tight I'd crank the QRs down the rear would still slip. Switched to a Dura Ace QR and still same thing. The inside face of the dropouts on the Cielo have a nice machined textured surface to aid in keeping the wheel in place and with the slight slipping on the one side it was enough to rub a bit of that off where it was slipping, even over only a couple hundred miles of use with QRs. Ultimately ended up switching back to a Halo bolt on skewer and no more slipping. Too bad but oh well.
My only complaint about my Cielo Sportif Classic. I've had so many incidents of rear wheel slippage. First experienced the dreaded locked rear wheel on a super steep ramp/driveway. First thought, "I've killed my RD!" That incident occurred on a group ride and even though I was able to adjust the wheel, it kept slipping every 100ft after(had to call for a ride home.) I've also had it slip at the start of a gravel race (forgot about the rear QR on the pre ride checklist). The most life threatening slippage occurred at the bottom of a hill I was bombing. After accelerating into the intersection at the bottom of the hill, where the signal had just turned green, I was coasting and then suddenly my drivetrain locked as I put down the power. Bike came to a stop in the middle of the intersection. That was a little scary.

Anyhoo, here are the QRs I've had luck with:

Record- least amount of clamping force required, best performance
DA- almost as good as record
The nice Mavics- almost feel like I can't trust these since they have to be manhandled but havent had any slippage
Velocity (the ones that come with the nicer hubs)- if you clamp down to within an inch of their lives, the wheel will stay put.

Useless QRs:
The cheap Mavic one
Those anodized weight weenie deals (KCNC)

Last edited by beeatnik; 06-09-2015 at 11:09 AM.
Old 06-09-2015, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeatnik View Post
My only complaint about my Cielo Sportif Classic. I've had so many incidents of rear wheel slippage. First experienced the dreaded locked rear wheel on a super steep ramp/driveway. First thought, "I've killed my RD!" That incident occurred on a group ride and even though I was able to adjust the wheel, it kept slipping every 100ft after(had to call for a ride home.) I've also had it slip at the start of a gravel race (forgot about the rear QR on the pre ride checklist). The most life threatening slippage occurred at the bottom of a hill I was bombing. After accelerating into the intersection at the bottom of the hill, where the signal had just turned green, I was coasting and then suddenly my drivetrain locked as I put down the power. Bike came to a stop in the middle of the intersection. That was a little scary.

Anyhoo, here are the QRs I've had luck with:

Record- least amount of clamping force required, best performance
DA- almost as good as record
The nice Mavics- almost feel like I can't trust these since they have to be manhandled but havent had any slippage
Velocity (the ones that come with the nicer hubs)- if you clamp down to within an inch of their lives, the wheel will stay put.

Useless QRs:
The cheap Mavic one
Those anodized weight weenie deals (KCNC)
This sounds horrible. Would be a dealbreaker for me after the first incident. Sorry, don't mean to derail a thread of a nice bike, but yikes.