Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-19-2024, 02:47 PM

HELP: Weird Bike Injury

Hi Folks,

Since March this year, I've been experiencing a uniquely uncomfortable and painful situation.

I haven't changed my bike position since the last time I was set up (by a cyclist PT, no less). Last year, I clocked 10,000 km with a few centuries done in 4hr30min (average 35-36 km/hr), with no pain or issues aside from next-day soreness.

In sum, after a hard beginning of a 100 km ride earlier this March, I turned off at 40 km, and by 50 km, I started feeling this deep pain emanating from my right hip. Specifically, the hip flexor (tensor fasciae latae, on the top right-hand side), the inside of my right thigh (adductor), gluteus medius, and the right side of my hamstrings. I also feel a considerable strain on the lower part of my right calf, all around/enveloping my lower leg.

The pain was enough to make me relent the effort. It was new to me. I massaged and stretched, and the pain came and went.

Off the bike, it manifests when I walk. When the right leg extends, I feel it radiate from my hamstrings and right glute, but not always.

The pain has remained. I lowered my seat a bit (5 mm) and brought my seat forward 2 cm. It was a substantial relief, but then the pain came back.

Lifting has helped. Single squats and hip thrusts have aided a bit.

Till today. I went on a century ride; it was a bit over 10°C and raining, and it started and remained fast. My right hip/glute area caused me such discomfort that it spasmed. By km 90 (2nd rest stop), I couldn't pedal and hitched a ride back to the start.

My position has remained the same. My lower back is fine, and the saddle/bar drop is around 10 cm. I'm thinking of putting a 42 cm bar (currently 44 cm) and scooching the saddle forward a bit more to open up the hip angle. When I'm in the drops, I feel like the muscles on the side of my hip are grinding, and it affects the power output.

I'm diligent about stretching and lifting. Today was a big bummer and a wake-up call.

Does anyone know what this is? How can I remedy it?

Thank you.

G
Old 05-19-2024, 03:02 PM

G, sorry to hear about your pain. I ride roughly your speed, but for like half the time. I get muscle, ligament, tendon and joint soreness by the end of the ride, but not enough to get off the bike. Your condition sounds awful.

I would encourage you to make an appointment to visit your PCP who will then immediately send you to imaging, who will then send you to Sports Medicine.

Nobody here can diagnose your issue without qualifications or examination, but we can guess, and I wouldn't take a guess. You definitely have our sympathy.
Old 05-19-2024, 03:24 PM

Doing centuries with an unknown injury is not a good idea IMHO.
A few years ago I had pain in my legs that would not resolve on two occasions.
After many visits to different Orthopedic doctors, MRIs, and sessions of PT I was finally diagnosed with tendinopathy.
I takes over a year and a lot of hard PT to heal it.
I was off the bike for two years.
I have no idea if this is what you have but might be something to consider.
I am not a doctor and this is not a diagnosis.
Hope you are pain free asap.
Old 05-19-2024, 03:55 PM
Tired Member

It sounds like a repetitive strain injury coupled with an injury resulting from compensation. The compensation injury has resulted from using muscles to compensate for the loss of strength and mobility in the original injury.

1. See a sports doctor
2. See a physical therapist

The internet won't do a good job of diagnosing what you've got. You've had it for too long, and there are too many variables.
Old 05-19-2024, 04:36 PM

Stupid question, but have your cleats moved without you realizing it? Is a seat rail cracked without you realizing it? Have you just had a birthday ending in a Zero?
Old 05-19-2024, 04:46 PM
ZhugeLiang

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghammer View Post
... earlier this March...started feeling this deep pain emanating from my right hip.
Trace back the steps, what happened prior to March, any changes in lifestyle, work stress level, engage in certain activity (not necessarily cycling), any tell-tale signs, what started as minor discomfort, certain parts of the body (not necessarily hip-related)
Old 05-19-2024, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tctyres View Post
It sounds like a repetitive strain injury coupled with an injury resulting from compensation. The compensation injury has resulted from using muscles to compensate for the loss of strength and mobility in the original injury.

1. See a sports doctor
2. See a physical therapist

The internet won't do a good job of diagnosing what you've got. You've had it for too long, and there are too many variables.
I agree. His situation sounds very complex but I'll bet #1 and #2 could indentify and remedy his issues.
Old 05-19-2024, 05:50 PM

If it affects only one leg, and if the symptoms also include numbness and inability to generate power, one may want to get checked for iliac arterial endofibrosis.