Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-20-2020, 07:03 PM

https://uncrate.com/solid-gold-mountain-bike/

Ostentatious!
Old 04-20-2020, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
Even if the parts haven't failed they look like they were CNC'd by the blind for someone with the kind of aesthetic sense that they look at a Brutalist building and go "can we somehow do that but less ostentatious?"

So they've got that going for them.

I love that ya'll got a word of the day. Please try to use it in Scramble this week.
Old 04-20-2020, 07:06 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Any time. Even if the parts haven't failed they look like they were CNC'd by the blind for someone with the kind of aesthetic sense that they look at a Brutalist building and go "can we somehow do that but less ostentatious?"

Are you talking about the machining marks on the stems? Funny story on those.
Old 04-20-2020, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocipede View Post
Are you talking about the machining marks on the stems? Funny story on those.
I am not a fan of the anodizing they use. It does not match any other silver or black from other makers. And they look utilitarian. Compare it to a campagnolo titanium seatpost and it´s obvious aesthethics are not Thomson´s strength. Otoh that campagnolo seatpost and it´s serrated stops may not place your saddle where it needs to be while Thomson´s microadjust double bolt is a no brainer.
Old 04-20-2020, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colker View Post
I am not a fan of the anodizing they use. It does not match any other silver or black from other makers. And they look utilitarian. Compare it to a campagnolo titanium seatpost and it´s obvious aesthethics are not Thomson´s strength. Otoh that campagnolo seatpost and it´s serrated stops may not place your saddle where it needs to be while Thomson´s microadjust double bolt is a no brainer.
I just feel like all the Thomson stuff was made to be visually pleasing on chunkier mountain bikes instead of sleek road bikes
Old 04-20-2020, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cfrancato View Post
I just feel like all the Thomson stuff was made to be visually pleasing on chunkier mountain bikes instead of sleek road bikes

I thought it was made to foment anger and divisiveness.
Old 04-20-2020, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Any time. Even if the parts haven't failed they look like they were CNC'd by the blind for someone with the kind of aesthetic sense that they look at a Brutalist building and go "can we somehow do that but less ostentatious?"

To be fair, they look pretty sleek compared to a boxcar: https://www.paulcomp.com/shop/compon...t/boxcar-stem/
Old 04-20-2020, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by truth View Post
To be fair, they look pretty sleek compared to a boxcar: https://www.paulcomp.com/shop/compon...t/boxcar-stem/
Funny, I switched a Thomson stem for a Paul’s boxcar. The Thomson stem would not stay in place under their torque specs. Never had an issue with the boxcar. Also, the quality of the Paul’s boxcar stem is superior, as well as its hardware. The bolts that Thomson spec suck compared to most good brands.
Old 04-20-2020, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Paul and team at least have enough aesthetic sense to know ano'ing those things crazy colors is the only way out.
Old 04-20-2020, 10:10 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by laupsi View Post
For road bikes, I've always thought that Columbines were a bit too much over the top. Maybe not ostentatious, but certainly too frilly for my taste.

Old 04-20-2020, 10:16 PM
Vendor

Quote:
REALLY?!?! I love their anodizing. It's really good and consistent. They use a guy in Pennsylvania. He does a great job IMO. They replace the dye all the time so they never have the greenie or fading of some other brands. I find their black ano matches lots of stuff. I think what you are seeing is the fine machining lines on the stem and post as to why they don't match.

So, the funny story about the fine machining lines.... Ronnie's daughter was on the Mercer University cycling team and they were unhappy with the stem and post they were using. Not adjustable enough on the post and the stem was flexy. So he machined up some stems and posts for the girls.

The original ones had the fine machining lines and no one said anything about them. They were prototypes so he figured no biggie giving them to the girls to ride and he would make real ones. So he made a bunch of real ones with the fine matching lines for awhile. Then the "real" ones he made, the next few batches, they had a smooth finish. And they continued making the smooth ones for awhile.

What happened was people complained that they were smooth. That they liked the fine machine lines. That they wanted the parts with the lines. And it was an overwhelming response against the smooth, that people wanted the lines. So from then on, Thomson made the stems and posts with the fine machine lines. They don't weaken the stems at all. It all cosmetic. But people wanted them so Ronnie made them like that. Since Thomson was used primarily by mountain bikers in the 90's, that segment loved the looks and finish.

Quote:
See the note above about the fine machine lines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
I thought it was made to foment anger and divisiveness.
LOL!

Quote:
I like the looks of the X2. The X4 isn't bad for a mountain stem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
Funny, I switched a Thomson stem for a Paul’s boxcar. The Thomson stem would not stay in place under their torque specs. Never had an issue with the boxcar. Also, the quality of the Paul’s boxcar stem is superior, as well as its hardware. The bolts that Thomson spec suck compared to most good brands.
Not sure what the problem was. I've never had an issue with a stem staying tight. As for the bolts, Never had an issue there either.

Quote:
Paul and team at least have enough aesthetic sense to know ano'ing those things crazy colors is the only way out.
I pestered them for a while to do other colors. Mike and David liked it but Brian was against it. They've only now started with the hardcoat stems and posts. The did do a one off run of red anodized Red Hook stems and posts. They also did some cool one off ones for Team USA and a couple other riders.

A guy in Idaho was selling anodized Thomson stems and posts in a bunch of different colors. It got to be a problem for HQ cause people would have something break and they'd want a replacement just like it. Since we didn't make it, people were pissed. That's why I pushed for them to start doing more ano colors.
Old 04-20-2020, 10:18 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
For road bikes, I've always thought that Columbines were a bit too much over the top. Maybe not ostentatious, but certainly too frilly for my taste.

Oh they were way over the top. I remember building one up for someone and really surprised by it.
Old 04-20-2020, 10:35 PM
Whoa, Nellie!

Quote:
Exactly. I wouldn't put one of their stems on a carbon road bike. But that doesn't mean their components are "junk". ***?

Last edited by jchasse; 04-20-2020 at 10:48 PM.
Old 04-21-2020, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocipede View Post
REALLY?!?! I love their anodizing. It's really good and consistent. They use a guy in Pennsylvania. He does a great job IMO. They replace the dye all the time so they never have the greenie or fading of some other brands. I find their black ano matches lots of stuff. I think what you are seeing is the fine machining lines on the stem and post as to why they don't match.

So, the funny story about the fine machining lines.... Ronnie's daughter was on the Mercer University cycling team and they were unhappy with the stem and post they were using. Not adjustable enough on the post and the stem was flexy. So he machined up some stems and posts for the girls.

The original ones had the fine machining lines and no one said anything about them. They were prototypes so he figured no biggie giving them to the girls to ride and he would make real ones. So he made a bunch of real ones with the fine matching lines for awhile. Then the "real" ones he made, the next few batches, they had a smooth finish. And they continued making the smooth ones for awhile.

What happened was people complained that they were smooth. That they liked the fine machine lines. That they wanted the parts with the lines. And it was an overwhelming response against the smooth, that people wanted the lines. So from then on, Thomson made the stems and posts with the fine machine lines. They don't weaken the stems at all. It all cosmetic. But people wanted them so Ronnie made them like that. Since Thomson was used primarily by mountain bikers in the 90's, that segment loved the looks and finish.

See the note above about the fine machine lines.

LOL!

I like the looks of the X2. The X4 isn't bad for a mountain stem.

Not sure what the problem was. I've never had an issue with a stem staying tight. As for the bolts, Never had an issue there either.

I pestered them for a while to do other colors. Mike and David liked it but Brian was against it. They've only now started with the hardcoat stems and posts. The did do a one off run of red anodized Red Hook stems and posts. They also did some cool one off ones for Team USA and a couple other riders.

A guy in Idaho was selling anodized Thomson stems and posts in a bunch of different colors. It got to be a problem for HQ cause people would have something break and they'd want a replacement just like it. Since we didn't make it, people were pissed. That's why I pushed for them to start doing more ano colors.
If only Thomson could sell us a 26.4 seatpost. They have every other number but those w/ old fat chances are left w/ taiwanese heavy units only.
Old 04-21-2020, 09:16 AM
Vendor

Quote:
If only Thomson could sell us a 26.4 seatpost. They have every other number but those w/ old fat chances are left w/ taiwanese heavy units only.
Thomson used to sell ever size out there. Including a 26.4. A few years ago they cut back to 27.2 and 31.6. Sometimes you can order something different. I just got a 26.8 for someone. But their stock is crazy low or gone all together. They had so many SKUs. Same with the stems. When I went to shops I used to have 100+ posts alone with all the lengths, colors, setbacks, diameters. It got to be a lot. They aren’t even doing the bags anymore for OEM buyers. The two I recently got were in plastic bags.

Tags
ostentatious, thomson