Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Brunk View Post
but his prices are a joke. I can get a better built, custom titanium frame either road or mountain from Firefly and others. I'd hate to see him become a titanium builder. Maybe close to 10k for a frame. Nice looking frame though on the last frame posted. Maybe most of the money is in the paint.
Without owning and spending time on a bike how exactly do you define a "better build"? Isn't "better" defined by the butt that's actually riding or has ridden the bike?
Tough call to just throw out such a bold statement of contempt when you don't have actual facts or a decent premise other than your opinion to back it up. Fireflys are great frames, I think, but I've only seen pics and haven't ridden one so then again, maybe they aren't...to me. But I'd never say they were a better build then say a top of the line Lynsky without riding them both. FF certainly have it in terms of "finish" but I don't ride the "finish", I ride the entire build.
As individual as high end bikes are, especially custom builds it seems odd to have such a preconceived and demonstrative opinion of any certain builder.

I always wondered about the allure of Pegs. I'd seen them but never ridden or owned one. That changed one day and not to long after that that bike left my stable because it wasn't so special after all. Blindfolded I couldn't tell the difference between it and my CDA, however, there was a big step up when I mounted the Strong. The paint part of the Peg "build" was certainly above the rest but the actual ride and welds were meh, no better, no worse than lots of custom steel in my stable.

Anyway Jack, I'm just curious about your comment/thoughts since you've owned a lot of bikes, as have I and number of other forum guys, as to how you define "better build".

KRhea
Old 08-15-2012, 02:26 AM

Steelman have been around for a long time I remember his adds in cycling mags in the early 80's he had an eye catching logo
If I were buying now it would be a Tom Kellogg frame ,I have always liked what he writes about bikes and I have never heard anyone say they did not love a bike he made for them . But that is me ,I know Steelman makes. a great bike with tons of expernce in it as well .But with a name like Steelman ,please do not make a ti frame
IMHO
Cheers and best of luck
There is this guy that lives near me j. Greene that I would bet could build a bike as good as any around
I would give his frames a serious look if I were buying he is one smart cat as The master would say

Last edited by Fixed; 08-15-2012 at 11:23 AM.
Old 08-15-2012, 02:44 AM

Quote:
but his prices are a joke. I can get a better built, custom titanium frame either road or mountain from Firefly and others. I'd hate to see him become a titanium builder. Maybe close to 10k for a frame. Nice looking frame though on the last frame posted. Maybe most of the money is in the paint.
Was your Steelman crap compared to your Firefly? How did you compare the quality?
Old 08-15-2012, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Sorry indeed,

If you think that Firefly and "others" make a BETTER bike you are up to your eyeballs in Kool-Aid Jack.

It's all a matter of taste, sensibility, and who you want to give your cold hard cash to.

What exactly did you not like about the build quality and ride characteristics of the Steelman bike or bikes you have ridden?
Old 08-15-2012, 09:43 AM

Smile OK folks

My point is there's much better value in the market. I find it hard to believe based on what my butt has told me up to know that for what he charges that his frames are that much better.

I've drank some really good kool aid in the past. I know what favors i like now. I'm sure his frames are nice and all but I strongly feel that their priced way too high. I'm just voiceing my opinon. If you like his work and all then by all means jump in. It's all good.
Old 08-15-2012, 09:45 AM

Smile

Quote:
My point is there's much better value in the market. I find it hard to believe based on what my butt has told me up to know that for what he charges that his frames are that much better.

I've drank some really good kool aid in the past. I know what favors i like now. I'm sure his frames are nice and all but I strongly feel that their priced way too high. I'm just voiceing my opinon. If you like his work and all then by all means jump in. It's all good.
Smile
Old 08-15-2012, 10:51 AM

I am sure that Brent makes great bikes, although I have not had the pleasure of riding one. That said, you can get a kickass TIG welded bike from the likes of Erik Rolf (Alliance) and Carl Strong for the fraction of the cost of a Steelman. I can afford a Steelman but prefer to order from Erik and Carl and support their bikes.

All of us who post on this Forum have drank the Kool Aid to a certain extent. If we hadn't, we'd all be riding mid-range Cannondales and be perfectly happy.
Old 08-15-2012, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
Sorry indeed,

If you think that Firefly and "others" make a BETTER bike you are up to your eyeballs in Kool-Aid Jack.

It's all a matter of taste, sensibility, and who you want to give your cold hard cash to.

What exactly did you not like about the build quality and ride characteristics of the Steelman bike or bikes you have ridden?
I don't know or have ever met Jack, but I have been here long enough to value his opinion. He is one of few people that can give a comparison of high end frames though actual ownership, and not just repeating what he might have read elsewhere.
Old 08-15-2012, 11:18 AM

I have never ridden on a Steelman frame.

But, it will be a very sad day when I tell somebody how they should run their business. And a even colder day when I tell somebody how to price their own work, when I know little about said business.

I think a lot of bicycling stuff is way over priced. Look no farther than the top left hand corner of this forum. Not picking on them, just an example.

People who I trust, tell me that Mr. Steelman builds very nice stuff.
I think if he feels he can get that price for his frames and his customers want to pay that price, then good on him.
Old 08-15-2012, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaMtbRider View Post
I don't know or have ever met Jack, but I have been here long enough to value his opinion. He is one of few people that can give a comparison of high end frames though actual ownership, and not just repeating what he might have read elsewhere.
+ 1 Jack is a smart guy and known all over not just for his bikes but for his riding as well the guy is the real deal

Cheers
Old 08-15-2012, 11:29 AM

It's about point of reference. I think a Bugatti Veyron is overpriced. That doesn't mean there is not a market for it OR that it's not worth the price. All just a bunch of opinions, pretty worthless, but we are allowed to have one. We may as well say Super Record is overpriced, I bet the margins on that for Campagnolo are more than the margins on a Steelman.

Last edited by Joachim; 08-15-2012 at 11:32 AM.
Old 08-15-2012, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joachim View Post
It's about point of reference. I think a Bugatti Veyron is overpriced. That doesn't mean there is not a market for it OR that it's not worth the price. All just a bunch of opinions.
I don't think that is over priced one bit!

Trouble is, I can't afford it, no matter how I look at it!
Because if money was no object, I would have a bunch of VERY pricey toys!
Old 08-15-2012, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr59 View Post
I don't think that is over priced one bit!

Trouble is, I can't afford it, no matter how I look at it!
Because if money was no object, I would have a bunch of VERY pricey toys!
If you want to have some fun with that, play around with the online color schemes to see what your future Veyron will look like.

ps. I think its totally worth it and want one in lime metallic green with metallic orange accents.
Old 08-15-2012, 12:07 PM

The Veyron is totally overpriced. An '82 Honda Civic will get you to the grocery store just the same in rush hour traffic. Better yet, Peapod or Freshdirect can arguably get food delivered to your door faster & cheaper than the all-in cost of car ownership and the associated trips to grocery store (not to mention reduced liability), so even the '82 Civic is overpriced...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joachim View Post
It's about point of reference. I think a Bugatti Veyron is overpriced. That doesn't mean there is not a market for it OR that it's not worth the price. All just a bunch of opinions, pretty worthless, but we are allowed to have one. We may as well say Super Record is overpriced, I bet the margins on that for Campagnolo are more than the margins on a Steelman.
Old 08-15-2012, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaMtbRider View Post
Did Jack send you a free t-shirt to write this ringing endorsement?

Nice of you Pat.

Closed Thread