Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-22-2014, 06:56 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiataccompli View Post
Yes raced in rain and yes been on hard fast and tight rides in the rain too. Adjustment and he right gear is a big factor, as is a whole different level of anticipation (such as using brakes as braking surface squeegees). That said, yeah certainly in that particular situation discs are likely to perform better given an equal level of prep and anticipation as rim brakes. Of course, until everyone in the races has them it could be they spell the demise of someone behind you.

I guess since i do not get paid as a professional to race I may worry less about that particular situation than some .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
http://velonews.competitor.com/2014/...s-namur_356578
Old 12-22-2014, 06:58 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satellite View Post
I like the idea of disk brakes because I live in Colorado with crazy long descents and I also ride Tubulars. Rim brakes can heat the glued surfaces fairly substantially, I am always worried about throwing a tire. Sometimes I stop at the bottom just to feel how hot the rim is. Just ask Joseba Beloki what throwing a tire feels like on a hot day on a fast decent. Who knows if disk brakes would have saved him, but I bet he would have opted for disk if he knew that horrible accident was just around the corner.

Satellite
Unless you heat the disc and it fades to zero. Who knows?

http://www.bikerumor.com/2012/02/14/...will-they-work
Old 12-22-2014, 01:46 PM

This is getting fascinating. We have snapped brake cables, lost shoes, bad carbon rim braking, bad wet weather braking, no braking if the rim is damaged, limited power, frame distortion, and so on versus overheated hydraulic fluid, melted discs, squealing, broken hydraulic lines, extra weight, and so on.

With this kind of approach, Campagnolo would never have succeeded with a derailleur. I think I'm going with a fixed gear, no brakes.
Old 12-22-2014, 01:51 PM
n - 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11.4 View Post
... I think I'm going with a fixed gear, no brakes.
I've had chains snap. Maybe shaft drive.
Old 12-22-2014, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by p nut View Post
I've had chains snap. Maybe shaft drive.
Dandy horse.
Old 12-22-2014, 02:44 PM

Regarding the future of rim brakes and manufacturers' commitment to them, does this mean that Shimano's recently released Direct Mount brakes, "perhaps the best rim brakes ever," will be very short lived? See:

http://velonews.competitor.com/2014/...-future_343690
Old 12-22-2014, 03:23 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by juanj View Post
Regarding the future of rim brakes and manufacturers' commitment to them, does this mean that Shimano's recently released Direct Mount brakes, "perhaps the best rim brakes ever," will be very short lived? See:

http://velonews.competitor.com/2014/...-future_343690
Rim brakes on enthusiasts road bikes aren't going away anytime soon.
Old 12-22-2014, 06:15 PM
Randomhead

the only cable I have had snap was when I was pushing my tandem to the shop. That is a weird feeling, it feels like you are speeding up.

I used to be a retrogrouch about discs. Then I started using my bike on gravel, and I really came to hate cantilevers for this purpose. It doesn't help that we only have gravel that climbs or descends. Actually, I switched to tektro long reach brakes and they work better, but now I'm on discs and they are very nice. And since the industry has gotten behind discs, I'm not going to fight.
Old 12-22-2014, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Unless you heat the disc and it fades to zero. Who knows?

http://www.bikerumor.com/2012/02/14/...will-they-work
Oldpotatoe,

Wow, interesting read, a lot of stuff I never though about. That's why I don't build disk brake systems.

I guess Joseba Beloki was just screwed (rim or disk brakes) that day in the 2003 Tour when he broke his femur.

Best regard,

Lewis B.
Old 12-23-2014, 05:53 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satellite View Post
Oldpotatoe,

Wow, interesting read, a lot of stuff I never though about. That's why I don't build disk brake systems.

I guess Joseba Beloki was just screwed (rim or disk brakes) that day in the 2003 Tour when he broke his femur.

Best regard,

Lewis B.
Who knows what happened just before Beloki's crash. Everybody on that stage that day had tubulars, and the one everybody mentions is him rolling a tire and falling..and then LA trip across the dirt.

There are tradeoffs with road discs, there are tradeoffs with discs on cross bikes. As I have mentioned, discs are all over Euro Cross racing. Still in the minority and a lot of both brake types in their pits. So if it hasn't come 100% to EuroCross, it isn't going to do that with road racing.

For the vast majority of enthusiasts, on mostly dry days, discs are a expensive, less aero, heavier and more expensive option BUT when that Pinarello on the shop floor has wet discs and Di2..people will buy them and show them to their riding buddies at the coffee shop on Sunday before their 2 hour stroll. So what, people drive these to the grocery store also.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg subaru_wrx_sti_sedan_by_dutaav-d6jh4pr.jpg (33.3 KB, 67 views)
Old 12-23-2014, 05:57 AM

I saw a Pinarello with wet discs and Di2 the other day and yeah, I'd hit that! It'd be a great bike for my trips to the taproom!