Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-28-2014, 11:32 AM
Proud Grandpa

OT-bashed mailboxes

Seen on ride out by Erie..one gent's solution to kids smashing mailboxes..tough to get mail tho...oh well, maybe somebody can turn it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photozz.JPG (82.4 KB, 338 views)
Old 07-28-2014, 11:34 AM

Air mail only.
Old 07-28-2014, 11:35 AM

Exclamation my dad's solution

was to use a 10' section of telephone pole, with 6' buried and 4' exposed.

some redneck from a nearby trailer-park drove over it, tearing their bumper off for their efforts!

it was easy for the local constable to locate the perpetrator, just following the trail of fluids/parts to locate the vehicle with a missing bumper!

Last edited by wallymann; 07-28-2014 at 11:37 AM.
Old 07-28-2014, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramnnim View Post
Air mail only.
I've passed a mailbox somewhere that had a low box, then a high up box that had a big "AIRMAIL" sign on it.
Old 07-28-2014, 11:57 AM
Lanterne rouge

Quote:
Originally Posted by druptight View Post
I've passed a mailbox somewhere that had a low box, then a high up box that had a big "AIRMAIL" sign on it.
There is one like that out by me. The top box is labeled "bills".
Old 07-28-2014, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallymann View Post
was to use a 10' section of telephone pole, with 6' buried and 4' exposed.

some redneck from a nearby trailer-park drove over it, tearing their bumper off for their efforts!

it was easy for the local constable to locate the perpetrator, just following the trail of fluids/parts to locate the vehicle with a missing bumper!
This may not be true everywhere, but in MA such a mailbox is illegal. In case some one hits it accidentally, it has to give/break when hit. It makes a great story though.

I've often seen the really high mailboxes either labeled "Air-Mail" or "Taxes"

Chris
Old 07-28-2014, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cp43 View Post
This may not be true everywhere, but in MA such a mailbox is illegal. In case some one hits it accidentally, it has to give/break when hit. It makes a great story though.

I've often seen the really high mailboxes either labeled "Air-Mail" or "Taxes"

Chris
We've got guys out here that have their boxes on girders or surrounded my multiple layers of bricks. Must not be enforced outside of Boston.
Old 07-28-2014, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelhd View Post
We've got guys out here that have their boxes on girders or surrounded my multiple layers of bricks. Must not be enforced outside of Boston.
I've never heard of it being enforced. Anyway, rebuilding your mail box after every snowstorm is probably more of a pain in the rear than a ticket for a violation would be!

Chris
Old 07-28-2014, 12:29 PM

Yep had my mailbox completely ripped off the post by a snow plow. There was a phase where a large number of neighbors had their mailboxes bashed, not sure why that stopped. Except to say the few bad apples must have moved on to other things.
Old 07-28-2014, 12:49 PM

I've seen a bunch of places where people just put up an additional post or two of some sort on the traffic-facing side of their mailboxes - so that it stops someone leaning out of a car window with a baseball bat from doing any damage, but wouldn't cause undue damage if someone accidentally hit it in a car.

It does make me wonder if I should be slightly more nervous about riding at night in areas where *all* the mailboxes appear to be protected in some way against kids with baseball bats (particularly when it's things that wouldn't really help much against snowplows or whatever). It makes me think there are likely to be teenagers with nothing better to do out joyriding and possibly drinking and generally running amok in automobiles. :P
Old 07-28-2014, 01:09 PM

Someone near me has a mailbox that it at about half the normal height...or less. Would be hard to hit from a moving car, but the postal carrier must not like it very much... (as far as I can tell, the owner is of normal height)
Old 07-28-2014, 01:26 PM

By neighborhood code, our mailbox is in a stone enclosure. If not for that, I would have had a box made of 3/8" steel plate, and then welded to a substantial steel post. But, make it look like a normal mailbox. I would dearly love to see a vandal take a hard whack at that with a baseball bat.
Old 07-28-2014, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackMan View Post
By neighborhood code, our mailbox is in a stone enclosure. If not for that, I would have had a box made of 3/8" steel plate, and then welded to a substantial steel post. But, make it look like a normal mailbox. I would dearly love to see a vandal take a hard whack at that with a baseball bat.
Yeah that would feel real good. Actually I think it would hurt like heck anyway to whack a mailbox, maybe less if they stop the car first
Old 07-28-2014, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Seen on ride out by Erie..one gent's solution to kids smashing mailboxes..tough to get mail tho...oh well, maybe somebody can turn it.
Must be anticipating a lot of snow or flood waters.
Old 07-28-2014, 05:32 PM

We don't get snow, so there are no such laws about making your mailbox soft to keep from damaging snow plows.
After the 6th time my dad had his mailbox run over, he used drill pipe buried and concreted about 6 feet down and covered the mailbox with a shield of 3/8" metal. To this day, about 40 years later, it hasn't been hit yet.