Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-28-2014, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackMan View Post
Thanks for all the replies. Lots of comments about gaps between gears. I currently spend most of the time on a 53 chain ring and only have a 7-speed in the back, so I am thinking that going to 11 speed cassette would likely provide smaller gaps that I currently have. But, it is probably a good idea to just calculate out all the gear inches I currently have and compare to the potential ones from a 1x11.
What is your typical cadence?

Any chainline issues?
Old 07-28-2014, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelhd View Post
What is your typical cadence?

Any chainline issues?
Cadence in 90-ish range. The chainline issues are part of what I was wondering about --- would it be a problem or not? I currently have a 7-speed cassette on an 11-speed hub (which was always meant to just be temporary) with a spacer. Putting on a proper 11 speed cassette would put cogs where the spacer is now. If I were to shift to a big chainring / big cog combination, even on the 7-speed cassette, it would surely be noisy. That angle would be more severe on the 11-speed cassette because the big cog on the 7-speed is standing out from the hub some by the spacer. I guess this is the core of my question: how do the 1x11 work without a bunch of noise from the resulting chainring / cog combinations?
Old 07-28-2014, 09:03 AM

I used to have a Rohloff hub on my winter bike, and hated the 13.5% gaps. It was like having two useful gears most of the time, plus so many bail-out and go-fast options that there are some I never used.

The lack of 16t cog in that cassette would be a deal breaker for me. Lots of nice gaps on that cassette, but they aren't necessarily in the ideal range. Or maybe they are, for your fitness and terrain...
Old 07-28-2014, 09:13 AM
PezTech

Quote:
Cadence in 90-ish range. The chainline issues are part of what I was wondering about --- would it be a problem or not? I currently have a 7-speed cassette on an 11-speed hub (which was always meant to just be temporary) with a spacer. Putting on a proper 11 speed cassette would put cogs where the spacer is now. If I were to shift to a big chainring / big cog combination, even on the 7-speed cassette, it would surely be noisy. That angle would be more severe on the 11-speed cassette because the big cog on the 7-speed is standing out from the hub some by the spacer. I guess this is the core of my question: how do the 1x11 work without a bunch of noise from the resulting chainring / cog combinations?

I get no noise from the rear of 1x11 at all.

But then this (SRAM CX1) set up is designed with a chain line where the front 46 chainring sits dead center...
Old 07-28-2014, 11:13 AM

Tony Martin says you guys are a bunch of whimps.

He rode the time trial with an 11x32 with just a 58 front ring.

Jeff
Old 07-28-2014, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlwdm View Post
Tony Martin says you guys are a bunch of whimps.

He rode the time trial with an 11x32 with just a 58 front ring.

Jeff
And an air scoop:

Old 07-28-2014, 04:46 PM
Shoegazer

Great photo! I have a few bikes without a front derailleur and a 9-speed rear. The simplicity is nice, and if you don't care about cadence, why not. Using a track crankset, I've encountered no issues.
Old 07-28-2014, 04:57 PM

Some of my favorite ridding has been fixed/single speed.
Old 07-28-2014, 06:56 PM

Quote:
The reason I asked is that if you like to keep your cadence in a certain narrow range, more gears is better.

7 speed on an 11 speed hub? Are you using a gas pipe for a spacer?
Old 07-28-2014, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelhd View Post
The reason I asked is that if you like to keep your cadence in a certain narrow range, more gears is better.

7 speed on an 11 speed hub? Are you using a gas pipe for a spacer?
I like to use things up before discarding them!

Info on 7-speed cassette on 11-speed hub is here at post #8:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=131169
Old 07-28-2014, 08:57 PM

Just don't shift your gears up front. That's a cheap way to do it. And don't worry about gearing, gear range, cadence and what ever the hell other cyclist think of it.
Old 07-30-2014, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alessandro View Post
And an air scoop:

Basking Shark
Old 07-31-2014, 11:40 AM

I love 1x on my All City... I built that bike knowing where I'd be riding that particular bike 90% of the time and selected chainring/cassette spread based on that too. I've run several bikes in various 1x configurations so over time I've nailed down what combo works for me based on riding terrain, my fitness, etc.

Currently I'm pretty set with 44t chainring and 11-28 cassette. 44/28 is doable for almost any climbing I do and anywhere I'd plan on riding that required easier gearing than that means I'd be on a different bike anyway (Cielo). I do spin-out on 44/11 on longer descents, but spinning out at 30-ish mph is plenty fast where I don't feel like I'm losing out on anything.

I personally don't give 2 ····s about stats and things like wattage/cadence/intervals/etc. I am not training for anything and over-analyzing does nothing but complicate what is to me, a simple pleasure. I just like riding and like building bikes that suit me and my purposes well. My purposes being maximizing fun and enjoying being on a bike.

I say, go for it if you think it will be fun. Have fun on your bike above all.
Old 08-13-2014, 10:36 AM

From the pictures it looks like you are running the SRAM CX1 chainrings? Also using the 1170 cassette?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles M View Post
I get no noise from the rear of 1x11 at all.

But then this (SRAM CX1) set up is designed with a chain line where the front 46 chainring sits dead center...
Old 08-13-2014, 11:52 AM
PezTech

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobJ View Post
From the pictures it looks like you are running the SRAM CX1 chainrings? Also using the 1170 cassette?

Yep. 11-32 and a 46T front...

I've done group rides on this and the 46-32 hasn't seen a hill it doesn't like yet. You have to be going pretty quick to get spun out at 46-11 but that happened a few times.