Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-26-2014, 01:40 PM

Riding in Panama City FL area?

Last I rode on Florida, I decided I'd never go near the seashore again. Traffic close to the coast was horrendous. But I sure used to enjoy riding inland around the Ocala area.

This time I'm going to the beach at Panama City with family. I could take a bike or not since we're driving, but no reason to haul it if there is no decent, safe, enjoyable riding nearby. We're staying right on the beach and if its safe and enjoyable, I'd ride from there. My gut tells me "don't do it", but I could be wrong.

So: Do I take a bike or just play with the grandkids?
Old 07-26-2014, 07:52 PM

IMO leave your bike at home. Panama City is as flat and uninteresting as it gets in FL. The EXACT opposite of the roads outside of Ocala.
Old 07-26-2014, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcroslin View Post
IMO leave your bike at home. Panama City is as flat and uninteresting as it gets in FL. The EXACT opposite of the roads outside of Ocala.
Agree, but if you insist, go to Robin's Bikes in Destin for group rides.
Old 07-28-2014, 11:13 AM

Thanks for the advice.
Looks like putt-putt golf and the beach for me.
Old 07-28-2014, 11:37 AM

Just rent a beach cruiser when you get there. Or bikes for the whole family. I live in Central Florida....where our cycling is great....but when I go to the beach for a few days, usually Sanibel Island, we just use cruisers. They're more fun for the kind of riding around a beach town. I still get in a surprising amount of junk miles.

Panama City is about a full days drive from here, but imagine beach area is about same as the others. Relax and enjoy your family trip.

BTW....While riding in a flat area is different, and just because you have to ride out to the boonies for a good ride, that doesn't mean the local riding guys can't wear your butt out. A 30-40 mile hard ride, where your legs NEVER stop pedaling, can be a tough workout. It's big ring all the way, with no mercy shown to out of area hilly riding guys LOL.

Last edited by Ralph; 07-28-2014 at 11:43 AM.
Old 07-28-2014, 12:12 PM

I have a condo in Panama City, not Panama City Beach and ride almost every day.

Go ahead to take your bike but avoid riding on Front Beach Rd where all the spring break action is on Panama City Beach. Head west to Destin thru Rosemary Beach and Seaside or my favorite is to head east on 98 past Tyndall Air Force base to Mexico Beach or even Apalachicola. Yes it's pancake flat and there's traffic but no worse than other urban areas. I also like to take a 50 mile loop to the new airport, just watch for the logging trucks.

Tuesday and Thursday evenings there's a group ride heading out of Bay Cycles around 5:30 PM. (3611 W Highway 98, Panama City, FL 32401 850 785-2022).

I'll be heading down to Panama City August 7th thru 14th, contact me if you happen to be there.

Sam in Cincy
Old 07-28-2014, 01:13 PM
coffee consumer

If you were over near Gulf Shores, AL, I'd recommend the ride out to Ft. Morgan and back. I've ridden along the beach-front highway around Fort Walton and Destin and the traffic isn't bad in the mornings. But, its flat AND its windy, so get ready for a relentless day of spinning. If you can find a group ride, its nice to have the help of a paceline.

However, I'm more with Ralph in that one week off the bike and renting cruiser bikes with the family is a lot of fun too and a nice break from your weekly routine.
Joe
Old 07-28-2014, 02:15 PM

Just got back from a week in the 30-A area. I put a ton of miles on the townie. I would just rent a beach cruiser and leave the road bike at home.
Old 07-28-2014, 04:05 PM

I concur that PCB is not an interesting place to ride, but I've done a lot of road riding there. I have family who love around Magnolia Point/Bay/? off Thomas Dr and I have done a lot of rides along Thomas and along the shore line and then ultimately to the Santa Rosa/Seaside/etc....basically I think about 50 or 60 miles one way from the house. When I've done that, I've always tried to get out around 6am and other than having zero elevation change traffic isn't so much of a hassle. For the sake of TT training or intervals it's fine, but for an enjoyable ride, I'd say cruise with the family or just do something else. I have never had the schedule opportunity to meet up with any group rides around there (PCB is only a 10 minute drive/30 min ride from Panama City), so I'm sure I haven't got the whole skinny on the place.
Old 07-28-2014, 08:48 PM

Thanks again!
Maybe I will bring a bike.
Or renting a cruiser and riding with the kids sounds pretty good too.