Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-28-2014, 02:09 PM

+1 on 28 tires. These seem to be sweet spot for me (160 lbs) for relatively nice roads. Currently with Open Pro rims, which are narrow. I also have Dyad (24mm) and Belgium+ (25 mm). Those are shod with 32 tires though. I have used 28's on the Dyads often enough but never really did an A/B with those (or the Belgium+) and the Open Pro and 28, and the difference did not jump out at me.
Old 07-28-2014, 02:21 PM

I'm currently using some 32mm tires on standard rims - 19mm width or so. The difference is very pronounced when compared to the same tires on some 23mm width rims. Out of the saddle efforts feel weird. I can almost feel the tire folding over on itself. Cornering is also not as confidence inspiring.
Old 07-28-2014, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by professerr View Post
My only caveat to that conclusion is that there are big differences in the construction of the Ardennes and C24s that, for all I know, might outweigh the differences in rim widths.
I think there may be something to the difference in construction of rims. The Belgium+ seemed to me to ride noticeably better than the Dyad, more than just the 1 mm difference would seem to explain. And I only had it in the front. But I could not say it wasn't all in my head. I experienced the same thing when I built up a 650b Pacenti SL 23 (24 mm) to replace the Velocity A23, again only on the front.
Old 07-28-2014, 03:05 PM

I'm a convert to the new generation of wider rims, coming from tubs.

I've got HED Belgium rims on the CSi with 25c Corsa's, it's hugely sure-footed and very comfortable.

I've got FLO30's with 25c Conti GP4000-S II's, same thing - and they alternate with 25c Ultremo's on HED Stinger 4's.
Old 07-28-2014, 04:44 PM

I was thinking of joining the wider movement but I am running Dura Ace 7700 (just because I just really love the looks of it). Will I run into fit issues using A23's and 25mm tires with the older 7700 brakes?
Old 07-28-2014, 08:05 PM

I went from 19mm to Archetypes, been using 28mm tires for years. To me, the difference was subtle, though definitely faster and more comfortable overall. Ran too low a pressure (oops! in the 60's at 190lbs) got some pinch flats until I figured out that ~85 front/90 back works for me. Side benefit is the width of the rims, I wanted to build my own wheels, lighter and better than factory wheels I could afford.
Old 07-29-2014, 07:24 AM
needs adult supervision

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergott View Post
Seeing how you are from Florida I would agree. You won't see the same benefits that I do. Up here where the roads suck I love 23+mm rims and 28mm tires. I notice no loss of speed and my riding mates are jealous of how I glide over everything as they bounce around. I think slowly but surely I'm convincing some of them.
Eric, do you have a favorite 23+mm rim/28mm tire combo? Thanks!
Old 07-29-2014, 08:11 AM
ergottWheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climb01742 View Post
Eric, do you have a favorite 23+mm rim/28mm tire combo? Thanks!
Hed and SL23 are both excellent rims. The SL23 does cost a little less and leaves nothing to want.

I have Hutchinson Secteurs set up tubeless on 2 different bikes. The ride is amazing especially on less than ideal roads. I'm only running 50-55lbs in them, no detectable loss in speed. I'd even take the bikes on fireroads and hard pack trails if the desire hits me.

Every time I'm out on my road bikes with bigger tires my desire for all the cool pro bikes fades and I realize my bikes are far better suited for what I do. I still have the Ottrott with skinnys to kick around on if need be.

Old 07-29-2014, 08:21 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergott View Post
Hed and SL23 are both excellent rims. The SL23 does cost a little less and leaves nothing to want.

I have Hutchinson Secteurs set up tubeless on 2 different bikes. The ride is amazing especially on less than ideal roads. I'm only running 50-55lbs in them, no detectable loss in speed. I'd even take the bikes on fireroads and hard pack trails if the desire hits me.

Every time I'm out on my road bikes with bigger tires my desire for all the cool pro bikes fades and I realize my bikes are far better suited for what I do. I still have the Ottrott with skinnys to kick around on if need be.

Wow, some truth there. I ride with 20mm rims, tubie one, DT585 other, 25c tires on my racer wanna be frames(MXLeader, Moots Vamoots) and I wish for nothing else, bike or wheel/tire-wise.
Old 07-29-2014, 10:24 AM

I would most likely train on tubulars if that was remotely practical for me but last year was my first year moving to a wide rim and I was sold purely on comfort. Rolling resistance, cornering etc. aside ... the jarring difference when running through holes in the rode was amazing comfort wise.

Nothing against my 19mm dura ace clinchers but they simply aren't nearly as comfy as my wide wheels.
Old 07-29-2014, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbl78s View Post
I was thinking of joining the wider movement but I am running Dura Ace 7700 (just because I just really love the looks of it). Will I run into fit issues using A23's and 25mm tires with the older 7700 brakes?
No troubles here. I've been riding a 7700 equipped bike with 25mm Conti 4000s on Pacenti SL23 rims for a while now without any trouble.

It does require some adjustment of the brake calipers, but I found that I have plenty of room to work with.
Old 07-29-2014, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exapkib View Post
No troubles here. I've been riding a 7700 equipped bike with 25mm Conti 4000s on Pacenti SL23 rims for a while now without any trouble.

It does require some adjustment of the brake calipers, but I found that I have plenty of room to work with.
Thanks for the response... Much appreciated
Old 07-29-2014, 12:51 PM

I've been out camping and away from the internet, but I just wanted to say thanks for the continued interest and contributions.

I'm in the midst of a long-term juggling of road bikes as I experiment with different options and toy with the idea of getting a custom frame. But one of the bikes I'm riding right now is a Lemond Poprad with wide rims and 28mm tires. It rides really nicely.
Old 07-30-2014, 11:08 AM

I like wide rims and wide tires But then again, I am a MTBr...
Old 07-30-2014, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
The question wasn't about mounting the same tire on a wider rim, it was about comparing a wide tire on a narrow rim vs. a narrow tire on a wide rim (such that the final width was the same).

Also, air cavity volume by itself isn't what affects ride compliance (since there is virtually no compression of the air as the tire is loaded), but instead it is about the change in cross-sectional shape as the tire is compressed. For the same final tire width, the tire on the wider rim will actually be less compliant, since it takes less vertical compression to flatten the tire under load.
Changing two variables at once (tire width and rim width) will always result in an answer of "it depends." I was just correcting your mistaken belief that increasing rim width will somehow result in an increase in vertical stiffness. It won't. Specifically, it won't increase the vertical stiffness because the additional cavity volume and change to tire ply line allow you to run a lower pressure without worrying about pinch flats. taking 5-10 psi out of the tire trumps anything else related to ride.