Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-28-2014, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CunegoFan View Post
Ah, two million quid a year for the Tour of California, the race that euro pros use as a vacation...
Froome got paid nearly as much to fall off his bike this year,
and win a TT in the Tour of Romandie, so i'm not sure which rider to be more upset at.

-g
Old 07-29-2014, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Ah, two million quid a year for the Tour of California, the race that euro pros use as a vacation (and to engage in drinking contests) and those who target the race are people who cannot win in Europe (like Tom Danielson) and need to provide some sort of value--no matter how little--to justify their contract. Meanwhile, the riders a team has faith in are racing the Giro.
Why does everyone get upset when a pro cyclist makes a decent amount of money? I would hope there would be more money in it.. I mean 2 million really isn't that much a year compared to a lot of other professional sports (football, football, basketball, hockey, baseball, etc..).

Two million pounds for spending a huge amount of his life getting to the level he's at and having the name recognition from winning the TDF seems like not that much. Still has to bust his ass training and riding.
Old 07-29-2014, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Ah, two million quid a year for the Tour of California, the race that euro pros use as a vacation (and to engage in drinking contests) and those who target the race are people who cannot win in Europe (like Tom Danielson) and need to provide some sort of value--no matter how little--to justify their contract. Meanwhile, the riders a team has faith in are racing the Giro.
I note you were silent about 2012 and Grant's post about 2013. Well played in being selective....
Old 07-29-2014, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeHorn View Post
I note you were silent about 2012 and Grant's post about 2013. Well played in being selective....
2012 was two years ago. It was also before Wiggins started saying training for Tour de France takes too much dedication for him to bother.

For Wiggins' salary a team could hire four great riders at 650K euros/year who are ten years younger and totally dedicated to training and racing on the road.
Old 07-30-2014, 11:07 AM

It will be very interesting to see where he focuses his time in 2015. Assuming the team asks him to race at all...